DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Taking Care of Business (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/taking-care-business/)
-   -   Advice on what to buy (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/taking-care-business/87830-advice-what-buy.html)

Sam Rosado February 28th, 2007 10:10 PM

Advice on what to buy

I have recently closed my recording studio after 15 years. I think the decision came when I was asked to shoot a party for a friend. I had just upgraded my g4 mac to a dual g5 with all the candy. After the party, i was then asked to edit some clips in imovie. Well guys, I think you know know what happened next. I fell in love with video and editing and all the effects. I closed my doors for good(tired of all the gangsta rappers anyway)and went to a pawn shop and bought a jvcgy500. So, Now i want 24p and 16:9. i want a used camera that i'll buy on ebay (cuz chris is making us newbies wait to show age before looking at the classifieds). what should I get/ I've heard about pd170 and DSR by sony, gl2 and xl by canon. I know i wont make movies anytime soon(not!) but event shooting for now. I use final cut express (upgrading after cam purchase). any suggestons?

Thanks a bunch in advance

Sam Rosado

Greg Hartzell February 28th, 2007 11:05 PM

What's your budget?

If $300,000, get a varicam and an f900 and share lenses

Chris Barcellos February 28th, 2007 11:15 PM

170 does not do native 16:9. It is has that as selection, but it looses a bit of resolution in the electronic process. I have a VX 2000, and still get some decent 16:9, but to be fair, you need to know about that.

Bill Davis March 1st, 2007 01:19 AM

Hi Sam,

Here's my advice. Remember how in the recording studio business you realized one day that owning a console and a coupla microphones and a drum kit didn't really make you a recording engineer?

Not surprisingly, it's the same thing with video.

Sure, someone with extradinary talent can take a camcorder and a laptop and turn out pretty darn good video, just like someone with extraordinary talent can take a medium priced keyboard and a MD recorder and make a "pretty good" recording.

But that's not the same as being "in business" on a serious level at either.

In your studio, you were only "serious" after you spent years acquiring gear, space, contacts, chops, stands, squashing the ground loops, figuring out what your market would bear in rates, and learning how to spot at least the semi-serious from the talentless punks who were all to happy to waste your time on their dream of becoming a major 'playa" without doing any actual WORK to get there.

In the video business, it's EXACTLY the same.

You'll probably know you've made it in video when your monthly bill for video related consumables is about what you probably paid for that GY500.

Between now and then, it'll either be a really enjoyable ride on a familiar path - or it'll turn into a royal pain.

I wish you the former.

Bottom line? Just like any cat who can really PLAY isn't much botherd by whether he or she is sitting at a Kimbal, Baldwin, Bosendorfer or Steinway - anyone who can really shoot and edit isn't really too concerned with the model numbers on the rig. That's gonna change. Talent - or the lack thereof - won't.

My 2 cents anyway.

Good luck and keep us posted in how it goes.

Sam Rosado March 1st, 2007 08:40 AM

i have 1500-2000 to spend. thanks for all of the advice. I am really excited about video. Its been 3 years now(should have said that in original post) since then(the closing) and I have been quite busy. I just want something thats good for everything. I have read about pan agdv100b, saw it at the camera pros for 999(??is that tru)also, I am not really serious about video as a business, more like a part time passion as I do a lot of work for my church and other churches in my area. I want a camera that will hold up well and shoot and. I really appreciate your advice. I have been on this site for a year(unregstrd) and really respect all of the posts here(yours too chrisLOL). for you guys to take the time and shoot a reply to a greenie like me is well appreciated.

Bob Thieda March 1st, 2007 09:35 AM

Sam...I'm fairly new myself and I'm not lookin' to make a living at it. I only got hooked on this thing about 18 months ago, so take what I say with that in mind.

I started with an $800 consumer cam and I'm glad I did because its amazing how much other stuff you will start to aquire.
In a short time I had a quality tripod, monopod, XLR adapter, new mic for the camera, a wireless mike, wide angle lens, filters, something to carry it all in, Sony Vegas, a new printer for printing DVDs, and on and on....

So watch your budget of $1500 to 2000....

I've been wanting to upgrade my camera for a while with a similar budget.
I had the same question: GL2? VX2100? DVX100a? Etc...

So, I spent hours researching what was avalible in that price range, new and used.
Then I spent hours reading threads in each camera's individual forum.
And you know what I really found out?
Any one will do a better job then I'm capable of doing at my skill level.
I just bought a GL2 because it was the best deal that came along first.
I plan on using it as much as possible to learn the art of video.
In the mean time, I will start saving for that XH-A1 in my future.

Just my $0.02,
Bob T.

Sam Rosado March 1st, 2007 10:39 AM

Thanks for that advice, however, i already have the boom mic, shoulder pad, body stab, lights, cases, pretty much all the toys except for a better cam. its like have a mercedes benz with no gas! I was thinking about the gl2, but i love the design of the xl. but i dont want a camera just for the desgin. how is the gl2 working for you?

Bob Thieda March 1st, 2007 11:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sam Rosado (Post 634032)
Thanks for that advice, however, i already have the boom mic, shoulder pad, body stab, lights, cases, pretty much all the toys except for a better cam. its like have a mercedes benz with no gas! I was thinking about the gl2, but i love the design of the xl. but i dont want a camera just for the desgin. how is the gl2 working for you?

Sorry, didn't mean to mislead you, but I just struck a deal for one this week and don't have it yet.
Check out this thread if you want to see what a GL2 can do:
http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=87742

Honestly, I really wanted a DVX100a or b, but I just don't have the funds at this time for a decent used one.

But like I said...If I can start producing quality work with the GL2, I'll start saving for something better.

Good luck,
Bob T.

Steven Davis March 1st, 2007 11:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob Thieda (Post 634051)
Sorry, didn't mean to mislead you, but I just struck a deal for one this week and don't have it yet.
Check out this thread if you want to see what a GL2 can do:
http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=87742

Honestly, I really wanted a DVX100a or b, but I just don't have the funds at this time for a decent used one.

But like I said...If I can start producing quality work with the GL2, I'll start saving for something better.

Good luck,
Bob T.

Bob, I'm biased for the Gl2, I still have mine and I probably wouldn't get rid of it. It's a great camera, fairly easy to understand. It has great low light capability as well. You can look up the specs about lowlight. I won't start a debate about what camera is better.

My point is that you will be happy, imo, with the GL2. I love mine.

Sam Rosado March 1st, 2007 11:40 AM

WOW! thanks bob for the link. that was great footage. i guess its true, it doesnt matter that much about the cam. i just hate have all the toys and no one to play with, i had over 60gees in audio equipment that i sold and now i want to go video. I saw the panagdvx100b at this site for 999, i think ill try it first. thanks again bob

Bob Thieda March 1st, 2007 12:34 PM

Glad you liked the video, Sam...

I'd be careful with that 999 dvx100b....sounds to good to be true...
I did a quick search on camera pros and came up with some pretty negative reviews...

Greg Boston March 1st, 2007 01:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sam Rosado (Post 634084)
I saw the panagdvx100b at this site for 999, i think ill try it first.

That camera, at that price, is nothing short of a scam. Run, don't walk, the other way.

-gb-

Sam Rosado March 1st, 2007 01:46 PM

REALLY???? how can they post that price? do you think its not the real thing or what? also, where can I find those reviews about them. you guys have been excellent. im such a newbie!!

Bob Thieda March 1st, 2007 01:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sam Rosado (Post 634159)
REALLY???? how can they post that price? do you think its not the real thing or what? also, where can I find those reviews about them. you guys have been excellent. im such a newbie!!

I found this thread here:
http://www.photosig.com/go/forums/read?id=230195
And this page of reviews here:
http://www.resellerratings.com/store/TheCameraPros

It doesn't look good...

And as is oft times said on this forum, "You can't go wrong buying from the DVI sponsors"

Bob T.

Steven Davis March 1st, 2007 02:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sam Rosado (Post 634159)

Yeah Sam, be careful, there are several type scams out there; everything from them sending you a grey market item, a different item, used item or no item for that matter.

The great Greg speaks wisdom, run run run.