DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Taking Care of Business (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/taking-care-business/)
-   -   rates? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/taking-care-business/98432-rates.html)

Jack Major July 8th, 2007 02:16 AM

rates?

so im just starting out with pro work that im being paid to do and i just got an editing job for a wedding, now i filmed and edited a memorial a few months ago so this isnt my first gig. Anyways I was wondering what are good starting rates that people usually start out with. I showed my client previous work and she was ecstatic so i know she's positive about what i can do. I charged my last client about $150 for a couple hours of shooting and a couple hours of editing probably about 6 in all. Is this too low to high, what should i be charging? thanks guys, i love this website any input would be great.

Denis Danatzko July 8th, 2007 07:02 AM

Rates vary in different locations.

"Acceptable" rates in Podunk are likely to be lower than in Gotham. One way to get a sense of what's viable is to call others in your area; asking in a forum like this is likely to get a range of answers, some of which may be inappropriate for your locale.

Craig Seeman July 8th, 2007 07:09 AM

What does it cost to pay all your bills (rent, utilities, food, maintenance of equipment, do you need to own/maintain a car to go to shoots, etc.)?

You need enough money to live on.
How much paying work can you get a week?
How many unpaid hours do you need to put into your business (marketing, doing demo reels, talking to prospective clients, time to learn new skills, software, hardware)?

You might assume you'll get 20-25 paid hours a week and you'll have to live on that.

From that figure out how much you need per hour.

Then based on your experience and skills you can go up from there.

Dave Blackhurst July 8th, 2007 09:32 AM

Jack -
150/6=$25 hr. Sure, better than min wage, but that's not going to make you anything other than pocket money - with probably 5k in equipment based on what you list, you're really just giving your time away for experience... probably want to bump 2x ASAP, and another 2x once you're confident and have a portfollio to show - shop around and see what wedding videographers charge - hit a bridal fair and compare rates/services.

My guess is you'll raise your rates significantly, being you're in California - I'm out in the middle of nowhere, and the rates are higher for bad work I've seen done than you're charging...

Jack Major July 9th, 2007 10:54 AM

yeah guys thanks for the replies btw im only 17 so its not like my primary job , i just do it for some extra change while i work on bigger projects.

Dave Blackhurst July 9th, 2007 11:32 AM

Hi Jack -
Sorta figured you might be younger, that's OK, I vaguely remember those days <wink>!

If this is something you might want to turn into a "real biz" one of these days, take a look at the above bits and do some study on what it takes to make a business viable - that will help set your rates so that you can have a longer term "job" <wink> if you've got the entrepreneurial spirit.

No matter what you decide, you'll always have to "meet your market" - if the market will gladly pay $1000 for your work, and you charge $125... you're shortchanging yourself - like working for min wage when your skills should get you a lot more. OTOH, if $125 is all they will pay and you'll do it for that... hey, spare change in your pocket!

HTH a bit to give you some perspective as you wrestle with the challenge that every business faces!