DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Techniques for Independent Production (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/techniques-independent-production/)
-   -   1/250th Shutter Effect in Post? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/techniques-independent-production/104185-1-250th-shutter-effect-post.html)

Christopher Drews September 23rd, 2007 01:59 AM

1/250th Shutter Effect in Post?

Recently, a bunch of zombies were chasing our hero in a feature we're in principle on.

I shot one scene using a 1/250th shutter angle (28 Days Later effect). I need to match this with another clip shot at 1/48th shutter.

In Shake 4.1 there is a motion blur and a sub par of shutter effect. Ultimately, it's really combersome to this in Shake.

Any other ideas on a software solution?

Thanks,

-C

Zac Crosby September 24th, 2007 07:15 AM

Another zombie flick... im working on one as well 28 days later-esque (www.reduxfilm.blogspot.com)

As for changing the shutter speed in post, i've got o clue but to use Shake, thats the best you can do...

And while we're on the topic, can i change 1/48 shutter speeds to 1/250?

Daniel Ross September 24th, 2007 07:30 AM

Real Smart Motion Blur is a plugin that claims to have the ability to add and remove blur by interpreting motion.
Could fix both cases. It might not work incredibly well, though.
But for such simple changes (you're not doing extreme differences) it might be good enough.

For having a longer shutter speed, you can just add some slight blur back in. Using directional blur should be fine for many shots. Might not be perfect, but it will probably get closer to what you want.

Emre Safak September 24th, 2007 08:44 AM

You can simulate longer shutter speeds by adding blur, but you can not go the other way.

Christopher Drews September 25th, 2007 01:58 AM

Cool Blog Zac.

Words of Advice : Never "fix it in post" for low budget filmmaking. So, if you're going to go with 1/250th shutter angle, make sure most of your Zombie running scenes contain that shutter angle.

I posted this because our actor is back in Canada and I can't reshoot at 1/250th. So now, I'll try to fix this in Shake and Color Correct the junk out of it to make it match.

I learned this rule the hard way:

Do it well and consistant on set. Get great picture, even better audio and use in camera cheats and effects. If you can do this, you're above the cut on other Indys.

Oh- and Pay an audio guy.

-C

Daniel Ross September 25th, 2007 04:55 AM

Emre-- almost entirely correct, but Real Smart's Motion Blur plugin actually is designed to take out motion blur as well. It isn't a magical fix, but can be of some help.

Zac Crosby September 25th, 2007 05:52 AM

Thanks Chris... the day we shot we had just gotten the Redrock Micro package the day before and we were still getting used to it, not really using the camera options, we just set it and forgot it... ( a bad idea) and as i watched th footage i thought it would have look a heck of alot better if it were shot in 1/250th but i had kept the camera in 1/48 the entire movie

thanks for the comment on my blog... 17 years old and trying to pitch a feature film with a short film already made.. it was a no budget, everything was borrowed, including the redrock.... but thats for another thread