DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Techniques for Independent Production (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/techniques-independent-production/)
-   -   interviews for documentary (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/techniques-independent-production/117716-interviews-documentary.html)

Paul Mailath March 25th, 2008 01:55 AM

interviews for documentary

I'll be taking a small crew north in a couple of weeks for 2 days of interviews and some location shooting.

The main interviewee owns the item which is the subject of the doco so it's 'his story' but the surrounding story is something in the public domain.

What should I get him to sign? is it just a standard release form saying I can use the images/footage of the interview or should I have something that gives me the rights to the 'story'?

while I'm on the subject the doco will amalgamate interviews with historical recreations. I'm thinking of shooting the interviews in 50i on my XH-A1 looking for a news style look and the recreations in 25p with the Lex for more of a drama/film look.

Does it make sense to mix these visual styles (if I can call them that)?

Paul Mailath March 26th, 2008 05:07 AM

com'on guys - anyone with suggestions?

George Kroonder March 26th, 2008 06:30 AM

Knights of the Round Table

So you're doing a story about Excalibur and interviewing King Arthur? It seems to me that if it is your production, all you need is 'regular' releases. You'll need a release for "the sword" as well if you're featuring it; a property release should cover it.

George/

G. Lee Gordon March 26th, 2008 03:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul Mailath (Post 847963)
I
What should I get him to sign? is it just a standard release form saying I can use the images/footage of the interview or should I have something that gives me the rights to the 'story'?

As always if the project is important enough get legal advice. That being said, you should get both. You should get an option for the story and a release for the footage.

Paul Mailath March 26th, 2008 04:46 PM

Funny you should mention the arthurian legend - the item is a cup that's been described as 'an Australian holy grail'

An option on the story is a good idea, since he owns the cup, he he owns the story I guess.

thanks guys

Peter Rhalter March 27th, 2008 04:53 AM

I don't know what it's like in Australia but you may need (among others) talent and property releases from the owner. You might even need a release from the cup's creator if it is trademarked, or something. Is there music playing in the background, or a radio, during your interview? You need a release from the music company, etc. If you can't get all the releases you need then dragging a crew along to an interview could easily be an expensive waste of time for everyone. Don't ask us, ask a lawyer — first!!!

Best (and good luck)
Peter
www.parkfilms.com

Steve House March 27th, 2008 08:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul Mailath (Post 849003)
Funny you should mention the arthurian legend - the item is a cup that's been described as 'an Australian holy grail'

An option on the story is a good idea, since he owns the cup, he he owns the story I guess.

thanks guys

He might own his own telling of the story, his exact words, just like any writer owns a story he creates. But the sequence of events would not be the same thing - if you were to paraphrase the inormation you obtacined from him to recount the history of the cup in your own words, that would be a story version that you would own. (IMHO - I am not a lawyer)

G. Lee Gordon March 27th, 2008 02:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve House (Post 849320)
He might own his own telling of the story, his exact words, just like any writer owns a story he creates. But the sequence of events would not be the same thing - if you were to paraphrase the inormation you obtacined from him to recount the history of the cup in your own words, that would be a story version that you would own. (IMHO - I am not a lawyer)

I don't think so. To many court cases say otherwise. Why take the chance?

George Kroonder March 28th, 2008 08:24 AM

This is a doco, not a feature film

If the man agrees to speak on camera for the purpose of the documentary your're making and relates his own (mis)fortunes and experiences having signed a standard release, that is fine. Even a filmed (on camera) agreement can be sufficient.

When he starts reading his story from a published book for which he has already signed an exclusive deal with a publisher which includes all media rights, then that is another thing. If he's making up a new and original story, then it's not a doco.

George/

P.S. Mildly funny and some good info: http://www.channel4.com/fourdocs/guides/legal.html