DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Techniques for Independent Production (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/techniques-independent-production/)
-   -   Magic Bullet question (24p) (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/techniques-independent-production/12249-magic-bullet-question-24p.html)

Stewart McDonald July 20th, 2003 09:16 AM

Magic Bullet question (24p)

When I convert my PAL footage to 24p with magic bullet, it always comes out very stuttery. I set the frame rate to 23.976 in the composition settings and let MB auto configure, but the rendered video isn't very good.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Martin Munthe July 20th, 2003 03:36 PM

NTSC comes out stuttery too. That's the way it is. The Orphanage is pretty clear about it in the manual. Why do you convert to 24p? 25p would be your first choice if you're in the UK. Most films shot on film in the UK is shot 25fps.

Agus Casse July 24th, 2003 11:52 PM

You are really wrong, 25fps, is frames per second, but you are really getting 50 fields per second.

As the stuttery thing, its because of the shutter speed of your camera, try using Reelsmart motion blur to smooth it a little.

i had use magic bullet, and it is awesome, the only thing is that it took 18 hours to make a 4 mins video, they say that there are techniques to make it faster if you close the preview window in AE, well, goood luck...

Agus

Michael Struthers July 27th, 2003 04:55 PM

instead of Magic bullet

use DVfilmmaker instead - has it's own algorythim and is only 95 bucks...

Martin Munthe July 28th, 2003 08:01 AM

<<<-- Originally posted by Agus Casse : You are really wrong, 25fps, is frames per second, but you are really getting 50 fields per second.

As the stuttery thing, its because of the shutter speed of your camera, try using Reelsmart motion blur to smooth it a little.

i had use magic bullet, and it is awesome, the only thing is that it took 18 hours to make a 4 mins video, they say that there are techniques to make it faster if you close the preview window in AE, well, goood luck...

Agus -->>>

How am I wrong? European countrys shoot 25fps. If it's progressive or interlaced 50i fields has nothing to do with it. There is a stutter produced when Magic Bullet has to produce frames that are not there in the material when going from 29,97fps or 25fps down to 24fps progressive.

If it would just be that Stewart doesn't like the look of true progressive I don't see the point of deinterlacing at all.

Joe Carney August 1st, 2003 04:48 PM

I always thought MB did much more than deinterlace. I hear it can add more color and contrast to give your feature a more shot on film look. I remember 'Things behind the sun' made by Allison Anders, and it looked excellent.

David Warrilow August 1st, 2003 07:23 PM

Hi,

Joe is on the money, MB has its de-interlacing and de-artifacting routines - (which I must say in my experience are the best that I've ever seen in an off the shelf plugin), which deal with the motion side of things. And then it has 'Looksuite' - basicaly colour correction and treatment adjustments where you can apply preset looks or roll your own. It also has some other nifty things like legalizing colours for broadcast etc.

I'm in PAL land so i deinterlace, de-artifact and run at 25fps - without bothering with 24fps. The result is indistinguishable from progressive scan video - ala the DVX-100/ GR-HD10 etc.

The Looksuite is cool if you're after a preset look but is kind of combersome for doing your own colour correction. Much prefer the colour wheels and histograms of combustion or Colour Finesse.

I like the plugin alot but my biggest criticism is speed - or the lack thereof. Even on a reasonable weapon of a workstation an hour a minute render time makes it only useful for short form projects, commercials, music videos and the like.

I for one have better things to do with my life than spend a week or more watching that little black line creep from left to right on a movie project.

But these things are getting better all the time, perhaps in a year or two we'll get realtime deinterlacers and colour correctors for about the same money.

best,

DW