DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Techniques for Independent Production (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/techniques-independent-production/)
-   -   digital shakespeare? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/techniques-independent-production/124474-digital-shakespeare.html)

Dennis Stevens June 24th, 2008 11:09 AM

digital shakespeare?

This may seem like an odd idea to post, but I guess it deals with techniques of independent production.

I was thinking of taking a scene in some Shakespeare play - don't know which play or which scene - and directing it for film (well, video). Basically as a learning exercise as a director/filmmaker, also just as an experiment.

I wouldn't do period costumes, I'd use the modern clothing and setting. But there are so many resources on the characters, stories, etc it could be really interesting and instructive.

Plus, perhaps some very talented local actors would be interested in doing something like that.

Off the wall idea. Has any tried it, or something close to it?

Christopher Drews June 24th, 2008 11:58 AM

Has anyone tried it you ask?
Try almost every major director. Everyone should start in Shakespeare. Although, you should read up on Orson Welles. He's was a master on revisiting Shakespeare in the contemporary. That's the trick. Have an interesting take on how it applies to today - w/o a big budget. Character and conflict don't change. Human nature is static - so find an interesting way to portray it (ie - human condition) and you'll be well on your way.

-C

Dennis Stevens June 24th, 2008 12:53 PM

Well, yeah, lots of film adaptations of Shakespeare. I was thinking in particular of those of us toiling on our little micro budget films.

I'm interested in directing and the acting process, but I don't think I'm much of a writer. So if I took a scene from a Shakespeare play, I won't get actors saying 'I'm not sure if this story works....' or at least less of it.

Plus, as you've suggested, there are lots of resources and examples on how to approach the story, adapt it to other settings, etc. That's my main worry, it's so much. I mean there's probably more written on Othello than I could read in a lifetime.

Richard Alvarez June 24th, 2008 01:32 PM

Yes its a viable idea. Yes big budget examples abound. Yes, it will 'work' as a starting point for an excercise in filmmaking. Yes people have done it. Yes, its easy to BUTCHER Shakespeare with bad acting. Yes, you should try it.

Have fun!

Paul Mailath June 24th, 2008 06:43 PM

If your can set up and film a 'scene' - as opposed to someone doing a monologue, You should get plenty of actors interested - it's a great addition to a showreel.

you need graduate actors who are trying to make a name for themselves - they'll have the talent and the training for Shakespeare (it's very muscular dialogue). I think you'll get them lining up for it.

Dylan Pank June 26th, 2008 07:11 AM

Why Shakespeare? Shakespeare is pretty stylised by today's conventions. You might want to pick something a bit more modern. Shakespearian acting is a specific skills and you might have a hard time working with actors who aren't used to it.

What is it you're specifically trying to learn? coverage? staging for camera? directing actors? You might be better taking a scene from an film and trying to recreate it shot for shot in order to learn coverage/staging for example, or a scene from a more recent or even contemporary play if it's about actors, where they're not going to be fighting to with the iambic pentameter.

Ibsen's A Doll's House has lots of good two hander scenes (though sometimes quite long) and the dialogue is quiet straightforward and contemporary, but there's usually lots of heavy subtext too, which is fun for the actors to work with.

Dennis Stevens June 27th, 2008 06:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dylan Pank (Post 899016)
Why Shakespeare? Shakespeare is pretty stylised by today's conventions. You might want to pick something a bit more modern. Shakespearian acting is a specific skills and you might have a hard time working with actors who aren't used to it.

Ibsen's A Doll's House has lots of good two hander scenes (though sometimes quite long) and the dialogue is quiet straightforward and contemporary, but there's usually lots of heavy subtext too, which is fun for the actors to work with.

Well, I was thinking if it comes out really well, maybe show it submit film festival. Then I was thinking of using something in the public domain. I don't know how an isolated scene of a play would fare at a festival, but it would be nice to have the option.

Dylan Pank June 29th, 2008 03:00 PM

It depends on the festival of course, but generally they won't be interested in anything that's not a complete self contained film.

Frank Simpson June 29th, 2008 07:40 PM

Shakepeare does lend nicely to film, and it certainly does not need to be done in period, let alone period costuming. Many, many of his plays can be set in other times and settings. Kenneth Branaugh's resetting of Love's Labours Lost as a 1930's era musical was particularly clever. And of course Baz Luhrman's resetting of Romeo + Juliet is anything but a period piece.

Onstage I have done everything from Taming of the Shrew in the old west to The Comedy of Errors as -- get this -- an Arabic film company making a "Lawrence of Arabia"-inspired movie. This production, directed by actor/director Bill Pullman was great. during scene changes the cast spoke only in Arabic, and then began each scene by slating it.

I was also involved in a very ingenious production of A Midsummer Night's Dream which was a cross between punk rock and the then-popular night time drama series Dynasty.

In the right hands, you can really do a lot with Shakespeare without changing any of the words, but placing it in a different setting. In the wrong hands you can really make a big mess that no one would want to see. You have to have a strong concept, and my advice would be to not try it without a thorough understanding of the play you are adapting. Just doing a resetting for the novelty factor does not cut it. The story must always come first.

Good luck!

Lori Starfelt August 16th, 2008 06:59 PM

I'd encourage you to start with a contemporary piece.

there are huge numbers of writers out there who have never had anything produced. Put an up on Craig's List LA for a short script and see what you get - you'll have hundreds of responses. What the writer gets in return is a work of theirs produced.

Read a couple hundred scripts and find something that you really, really like that uses locations you can get for free. No extras. No night time shoots. No scenes in classrooms or hospitals or labs. And go from there.

Shakespeare requires real skill to direct. Wait until you're comfortable working with really great actors before you tackle it.