DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Techniques for Independent Production (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/techniques-independent-production/)
-   -   Film look without 35mm adapter (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/techniques-independent-production/129472-film-look-without-35mm-adapter.html)

Sergey Stefanovich September 6th, 2008 01:06 PM

Film look without 35mm adapter

Hello everyone,
First of all I would like to say how great this forum is, so much can be learnt and discovered here. So I thought to get involve too and as a first post to send a link to couple of my videos that was shot long time ago in SD and where I tried to achieve film look without shooting on film or using 35mm adapter.

French Wig on Vimeo
Passengers on Vimeo

Any questions or comments are welcome.

Michael Nistler November 4th, 2008 01:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sergey Stefanovich (Post 930187)
Hello everyone,
First of all I would like to say how great this forum is, so much can be learnt and discovered here. So I thought to get involve too and as a first post to send a link to couple of my videos that was shot long time ago in SD and where I tried to achieve film look without shooting on film or using 35mm adapter.

French Wig on Vimeo
Passengers on Vimeo

Any questions or comments are welcome.

Hi Sergey,

Thanks for sharing - I took a quick peek at your clips. While Passengers was hard to judge from a cinematic perspective, I thought you did a fine job obtaining the film look with your French Wig. Impressive video quality for the XL-1 and you capitalized on good lighting and color tweaks in post.

Warm Regards, Michael

Tripp Woelfel November 4th, 2008 02:49 PM

OK... I'm with Michael on Passengers but French Wig has a very nice look to it.

Now share... How'd ya do it.

Sergey Stefanovich January 12th, 2009 06:42 AM

Thank you for you comments and very sorry for such a long time to reply, i just didnt look at this thread for all this time.
Look achieved in post by addidng film FX plug in in adobe premier.

Jacques E. Bouchard January 12th, 2009 03:13 PM

The biggest advantage of a 35mm adapter is the shallow DOF. I'd like to know a workaroud for that (other than standing 50 feet away).

J.

Sergey Stefanovich January 14th, 2009 05:59 AM

Yes, you absolutely right, you have to stand as far as you can from your subject in order to get that shallow DOF. So really 35mm adapter is the best to get needed DOF.

Dylan Couper January 18th, 2009 04:13 PM

You made one omission in your 35mm "film look"... and that was leaving the 4:3 aspect ratio. A quick letterbox/crop to one of the 35mm ratios would fix that though.

Oliver Pahlow January 21st, 2009 01:45 PM

The "soft light" effect in French Wig is a nice touch.

Sergey Stefanovich January 26th, 2009 02:14 PM

Thanks Dylan, you are absolutely right - aspect ratio is big part of the "film look". that time when i edited that video i just thought that this video has more of a kind of 1960-1970 look, because of its DV resolution or even earlier and then aspect ratio seemed to be 4by3, at least from what i remember.

Glowing effect in combination with a bit of graining does also make it look more distance from video look.