DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Techniques for Independent Production (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/techniques-independent-production/)
-   -   Have actor/No script (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/techniques-independent-production/13019-have-actor-no-script.html)

John Locke August 8th, 2003 07:34 PM

Have actor/No script

I've got this friend here who just got back from filming with Jackie Chan (he had some fight scenes with him)...he's an actor/martial arts fighter...and he's got star quality written all over him. Rugged good looks, good voice...lots 'o charisma. He's Chinese-American, I believe...speaks English only.

Fight films aren't exactly my favorite genre, but I'd be crazy not to try to shoot something with him before he gets famous...and there's a good chance he will someday.

So...anyone have a short script idea for a Japan-based Jackie Chan-style film? Dylan, Keith...wanna hop on a plane and come make a movie together?

Keith Loh August 8th, 2003 10:07 PM

Sounds enticing :) I'll get through *this* martial arts film first, though.

K. Forman August 8th, 2003 11:57 PM

I have some ideas, but don't know if they would be what you want, or could do. What stunt equipment and experience would you be able to round up? How hot do you want it?

Dylan Couper August 9th, 2003 12:28 AM

Re: Have actor/No script

<<<-- Originally posted by John Locke : I've got this friend here who just got back from filming with Jackie Chan (he had some fight scenes with him)...he's an actor/martial arts fighter...and he's got star quality written all over him. Rugged good looks, good voice...lots 'o charisma. He's Chinese-American, I believe...speaks English only.

Fight films aren't exactly my favorite genre, but I'd be crazy not to try to shoot something with him before he gets famous...and there's a good chance he will someday.

So...anyone have a short script idea for a Japan-based Jackie Chan-style film? Dylan, Keith...wanna hop on a plane and come make a movie together? -->>>

FOR SURE!

Rob Belics August 9th, 2003 10:40 AM

Get a story first. Then worry about actors. The worst movies are those written just to display an actor. A film tells a story. An actor only helps.

You know nothing about martial arts (and don't like it) so unless someone else writes it for you, what will you do?

He's probably SAG, too.

John Locke August 9th, 2003 10:41 AM

Ah, Rob...never underestimate determination and positive-thinking.

K. Forman August 9th, 2003 10:47 AM

John- What styles of martial arts does he practice?

John Locke August 9th, 2003 11:46 AM

That I'm not sure of...

K. Forman August 9th, 2003 11:52 AM

It might help in developing a story if you knew. Many styles have quite a history that could be built upon.

John Locke August 9th, 2003 01:04 PM

Good advice, Keith. Actually, on my subway trip back home today I started to get an idea. We'll see...

Chris Jones August 9th, 2003 09:44 PM

I can help you out if you need it. Not that I have much time for even more writing these days, but, well, what the heck - it's martials arts man! :)

Chris

Andreas Fernbrant August 10th, 2003 12:11 PM

Woha, this was interesting.

I'm not into making martial arts film because they always tend to be less serious and proffesional. But I'm in to gymnastics and kicks and flips. I might know your friend.. What's his name?

I'm back from Norway (mountains) we shot some gymnastics and acrobatics in the mountains for my movie. But I would love to work on a project like this. I wish I had some spare cash to travel to Japan and help you guys out with script/video/acting..

/Andreas.
PS. I will follow your idea closely, so please keep me posted!

John Locke August 10th, 2003 06:19 PM

Andreas,

His name is David Chao. Look for him in the Jackie Chan movie that will coming out soon that was filmed in Thailand. I don't know the title. They only finished location shooting recently.

I hope this will come to fruition someday. If it does, I'll keep you posted.

(wish I could film in Norway actually)

Andreas Fernbrant August 10th, 2003 11:52 PM

I can post some stuff from norway if you want. :)

David Chao? Hrmm, I think I've heard of him.
Jackies new film is called "80 days" (or around the world in 80 days) as jules verne book. I know a guy who just made the jackie chan stunt team too.

It sounds like a fun idea, and I've always wanted to go to japan:)

/Andreas

John Locke August 11th, 2003 12:04 AM

Please do post some Norway shots/footage! I'd love to see them.

That'd be pretty ironic if you heard of this guy because he really is just starting out. But since you know someone on the Jackie Chan stunt team, there's a good possibility they'd know him.

Film or no film...come on to Japan. It's worth a visit.