DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Techniques for Independent Production (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/techniques-independent-production/)
-   -   web sites for distributing films (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/techniques-independent-production/140834-web-sites-distributing-films.html)

Bill Ball January 4th, 2009 08:58 AM

web sites for distributing films

I have about 6 short films that I have made on DV over the years. I am looking for a good website to host them. They run 10-25 minutes in length and are dramas that have been shown in regional film festivals. They are too long for YouTube and too serious for sites like Atom/Ifilm/Spike. So I am looking for suggestions.

I put the first one on Underground Film years ago. That seems like the type of site I am looking for now, but I am not sure if anyone really uses that site.

I am not looking to make money off of these, just get them out there where people might see them without going through a lot of hassle on my part.

Ideas quite welcome.

Lori Starfelt January 4th, 2009 04:15 PM

Try Veoh.

Free Videos Online - Watch TV Online - Free Video Clips | Veoh Video Network

They support HD footage and they allow you more time than YouTube. i've forgotten the details, but they have nice stuff over there.

Vasco Dones January 4th, 2009 07:41 PM

Bill,

you might want to check out the following story:
Distribution HD Online Convergence

All the best

Vasco

Edward Phillips January 5th, 2009 04:42 PM

Make sure to read the fine print of the sites you post to. By uploading your video to some sites you are legally giving your rights to the video to them and they can then use it for their own commercial purposes.

Jennie Stenhouse January 14th, 2009 06:11 AM

Maybe Exposure room?

ExposureRoom - Providing Exposure & Opportunity for Talent

Dutch Simpson January 15th, 2009 09:33 AM

try Vimeo.com

Bill Ball January 16th, 2009 11:19 AM

Thanks for the advice all. I went with vimeo

Bill's Movies on Vimeo

Overall its been pretty smooth. It's too bad they dont let your reorder uploads as I made the mistake of uploading my most recent project first and now its last in the listing. I hope they get their statistics facility implemented soon--although in my case its just curiousity (vanity?) to see what gets watched as these projects have made the rounds already.

Jacques E. Bouchard January 21st, 2009 06:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bill Ball (Post 995998)
Thanks for the advice all. I went with vimeo

Bill's Movies on Vimeo

Overall its been pretty smooth. It's too bad they dont let your reorder uploads as I made the mistake of uploading my most recent project first and now its last in the listing. I hope they get their statistics facility implemented soon--although in my case its just curiousity (vanity?) to see what gets watched as these projects have made the rounds already.

I looked at Vimeo. I don't like that they promote their "premium" service at $60/year at the expense of their basic (crippled) service. No HD embedding, ads, etc.

J.

Heath McKnight January 27th, 2009 12:00 AM

I like YouTube - Broadcast Yourself., Vimeo, Video Sharing For You, and if you have a www.withoutabox.com account and your film's on IMDb, you can upload the movie, clips, trailers, etc., to IMDb via withoutabox.

heath

Benjamin Hill January 27th, 2009 10:49 PM

Blows me away how many indie filmmakers pass on YouTube. Not only is it easy, free, and incredibly stable (and SEO friendly); but between the playlist, embedding, customization, Insight features and now the HQ option and 16:9 presentation, I can't imagine why any content maker wouldn't take advantage.

Dave Allen January 28th, 2009 02:48 AM

YT has a real hard time streaming HD content unless it is a small file.

YT is great for maximum views and for viral distribution, but Vimeo and better yet, ExposureRoom stream HD content the best in my experience and their support is awesome, and their service is free.

Heath McKnight January 28th, 2009 07:29 AM

I receive probably 100 times the amount of exposure on YouTube than I do anywhere else.

heath

Jacques E. Bouchard January 28th, 2009 07:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave Allen (Post 1002365)
YT has a real hard time streaming HD content unless it is a small file.

YT is great for maximum views and for viral distribution, but Vimeo and better yet, ExposureRoom stream HD content the best in my experience and their support is awesome, and their service is free.

You can't embed HD video hosted on Vimeo without paying for the premium service. I send people to my web site, so I need to be able to embed videos on my page. I'm using YouTube for that purpose.

J.