DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Techniques for Independent Production (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/techniques-independent-production/)
-   -   Anniversary Party insights (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/techniques-independent-production/17659-anniversary-party-insights.html)

Adam Lubkin November 27th, 2003 10:22 AM

Anniversary Party insights

I don't have any but hoping you do. Besides being shot by a top-notch DP with a full crew, does anyone know of any dv specific adjustments (filters, etc) and specific lighting setups that Mr. Bailey and his crew used?

Rob Lohman December 2nd, 2003 04:02 PM

Which movie is this?

Aaron Koolen December 2nd, 2003 04:18 PM

Rob, it's Anniversary Party. Starred Alan Cumming and Jennifer Jason Leigh. I really liked the film, well worth a look.

Adam, sorry I can't help you there. I did watch some special features but can only remember some of the acting bits and adlibs they did - not much else.

Was impressed when I found it was shot on digital though.

Aaron

Rob Wilson December 2nd, 2003 04:23 PM

Adam,

I've got the DVD so if there is any specific info you would like from it, let me know. BTW, I bought the DVD when I found out it was shot on DSR500's, not a bad flick but I haven't recommended it to anyone.

Chris Sorensen December 2nd, 2003 04:23 PM

It was shot on a Sony DSR-500 per IMDB.com.

Adam Lubkin December 2nd, 2003 05:36 PM

Thanks guys. I watched all the extras on the dvd but there's very little regarding the cinematography. I also looked up several interviews with John Bailey, the DP, but again little info, although he's a highly intellegent and interesting person from what I can tell. On the "making of" shots you can see a mattebox on the camera, but I couldn't tell what filters were in it :)

As for the movie, I didn't find it dramatically compelling but otherwise I loved it.

Wayne Orr December 2nd, 2003 06:02 PM

The movie was shot with two DSR500W PAL cameras, and a couple times with three cameras. The underwater material is film. The lighting was accomplished using a truckload of kino flos that were stuffed into every nook and cranny. Harder lighting units were used for kickers.

Mr. Bailey delivered what is known as a "fat negative." That is, he made sure none of the blacks were crushed, and avoided clipping the highlights, except for a few exteriors seen through windows. The edited footage was later subjected to extensive color correction to create the final "look" which you see on the dvd. Interestingly, you can rent the vhs of this movie and see what the video looked like before it was color corrected. For what must obviously be economic reasons, the vhs tapes were struck from the original footage before the color correction, which was a terrible disservice to Mr. Bailey. This version has been described as looking like "bad home videos." And indeed it does look bad, if you don't know the workflow, and where it is headed.

In regards Mr. Lubkin's comment, "As for the movie, I didn't find it dramatically compelling but otherwise I loved it."
That remark belongs right up there with, "The operation was a success, but the patient died."

Wayne Orr, SOC

Adam Lubkin December 2nd, 2003 07:19 PM

Mr. Orr,
Thanks for the information. Do you know if Mr. Bailey used any lense filters?

Glad you enjoyed the comment.

Adam

Wayne Orr December 2nd, 2003 08:05 PM

Nope. No filters.