DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Techniques for Independent Production (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/techniques-independent-production/)
-   -   samples of "Movie Looks" (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/techniques-independent-production/17767-samples-movie-looks.html)

Nawaf Alali December 1st, 2003 01:31 AM

samples of "Movie Looks"

Hello everyone,
I downloaded the "Movie Looks" free plugins for Adobe Premiere Pro. I tried them out, and liked a couple of the effects. So I decided to buy the Movie Looks Library (40 plugins for $50).
Very good bargin; worth the money. It gives you very nice looks, with one-click of a button. I exported few frames as samples (wait for the pictures to load):

www.nawaf.com/movielooks

One downside about it: it takes alot of time to render (about 2-3 minutes for a 3-second video).

by the way, nothing else was added to the video besides the "movie looks" plugin.

Equipment: Canon XL1s + 16x Manual Servo lens

Charles King December 1st, 2003 05:49 AM

Thanks for posting those test clips. They look really nice and all from within premiere pro. Sweet. :) The original clip looks good just on its own also.

Kieran Clayton December 1st, 2003 07:52 AM

If you have a demo copy of after effects and a demo of magic bullet for AE, then you can create and save new presets in AE, then drop them into your movie looks preset folder and they work. Apparently.

Charles King December 1st, 2003 08:51 AM

cool. will try that.

Nawaf Alali December 1st, 2003 03:27 PM

Kieran,
I actually have After Effects 6 (I bought the Adobe video collection). Now I'm wondering if it's worth it to buy Magic Bullet for $1000, just for the deinterlacer! The Movie looks does a great job, so all I need is a deinterlacer now.
I downloaded the demo of MB. I'll try it out and see if it's worth the money.

Kieran Clayton December 1st, 2003 03:39 PM

reelsmart do a standalone de-interlacer that's around $99.

From what I understand Fieldskit renders quicker, but there's no deartifacting.. But MB's a little out of my price range so I mostly play around with the demo and try and match the looks with levels, curves and transfer modes instead :o)

Kieran

John Hudson December 1st, 2003 09:29 PM

Those frames look bitchen. NOw I just need ADOBE to support 24p.

:(

Or VEGAS to come out with filmlooks!

Nawaf Alali December 2nd, 2003 02:43 AM

does anyone know if there's a difference between Fieldskit deinterlacer and Premiere's one ? I don't wanna spend $90 on the Fieldskit and find out that it does the same job of Premiere.

Corey Sturmer December 2nd, 2003 06:43 AM

Man, those look sweet....However I'd like to see the effects on a shot that looks less filmish to begin with. The original was very well shot, and that might be why the effects did such a good job.

Charles King December 2nd, 2003 06:54 AM

Well Corey. The whole idea is to get a good photage from the beginning otherwise you will get exactly what you put it. That is - garbage in - garbage out. You read most of the post on this issue.In order to get great film look you have to shoot like you were going to shoot on film. Regardless of what program you use to enhance the look. My understanding, anyway.

Danny Tan December 8th, 2003 12:28 AM

Re: samples of "Movie Looks"

<<<-- Originally posted by Nawaf Alali : Hello everyone,
I downloaded the "Movie Looks" free plugins for Adobe Premiere Pro. I tried them out, and liked a couple of the effects. So I decided to buy the Movie Looks Library (40 plugins for $50).
Very good bargin; worth the money. It gives you very nice looks, with one-click of a button. I exported few frames as samples (wait for the pictures to load):

www.nawaf.com/movielooks

One downside about it: it takes alot of time to render (about 2-3 minutes for a 3-second video).

by the way, nothing else was added to the video besides the "movie looks" plugin.

Equipment: Canon XL1s + 16x Manual Servo lens -->>>

hey, do you think you can send me movie looks to my email? :shiftyeyes:

Nawaf Alali December 8th, 2003 05:37 AM

they're available for sale on:

http://store.yahoo.com/redgiantsoftware/movielooks.html

Jaime Valles December 8th, 2003 10:06 AM

Does anyone know if these will work on Final Cut Pro 4? Or if there's anything similar to that available for FCP4?

The shots look great, by the way. I especially like Bleach Bypass, Color Reversal, and Berlin. Great job!

Graeme Nattress December 8th, 2003 10:14 AM

Take a look at my site, www.nattress.com for Film Effects for Final Cut Pro, which has lots of nice film presets, and 24p, and film dissolves in the new V1.1 release.

Graeme

Dan Tolbertson December 10th, 2003 11:38 PM

I was hoping they had something for premiere 6.5
I have AE 6.0 Production also but $1000 for MB is a bit out of my reach when all I really want to do is the cool presets that can be had for $49

Do I have to upgrade to pro or someone know of another option for 6.5?

Peter Moore December 11th, 2003 02:41 PM

Wow, very nice indeed. I especially like Color Reversal. Of course you had very good footage there to begin with, which makes all the difference.

However I wonder if the exact same effect couldn't be achieved through some simple 3-color wheel correction, and render much faster.

Fawaz Al-Kandari December 13th, 2003 12:48 PM

Hello Nawaf

Really nice footage ,
Please let me know if this plugins work with AE ?

Fawaz AL-Kandari

Dan Tolbertson December 13th, 2003 05:05 PM

From what I understand you have to use Magic Bullet with AE and that runs just a tad more - Ha ( $49 Vs. $1000)

Nawaf Alali December 14th, 2003 04:29 AM

The "movie looks" doesnt work with AE. it's not a plugin, where you drop it in a folder. it's a program that installs to Premiere Pro only.
For AE, I heard some people do this trick: you can download the trial Magic Bullit, apply the effect, save it as a preset, and drop it in the Premiere plugin folder. If you can use it in Premiere as a preset, then you most probably can do the same in AE!

try it.

Dan Tolbertson December 14th, 2003 09:51 AM

Does that method only work with Premiere Pro or can you also save prests in Premiere 6.5?

Nawaf Alali December 14th, 2003 02:49 PM

I really donno. do a search about Magic Bullit. you will find this technique somewhere. I never tried it.

David Martin December 14th, 2003 06:15 PM

tested "looks" on my wifes Sony Digital 8

I tested Movie Looks on my wifes Sony Digital 8 just to see how it would look when applied to a lower quality source (after seeing the question asked earlier). While I agree "garbage in - garbage out", Movie Looks most certainly improved the "look" of the footage shot with her cheap cam - dramatically.

Ross Weinshenker December 17th, 2003 10:35 AM

Will these plugins work for Premiere 6.5? I don't have Premiere Pro, and its unlikely that I'll get it. And also, I can't seem to find the free plugins for download. When I go to Adobe's website, it just takes forever and doesn't load the page....?

Charles King December 17th, 2003 10:47 AM

Ross, Try this: http://www.redgiantsoftware.com/movielooks.html

Or the direct link to the link on Adobe you tried loading but couldn't, here:

http://www.adobe.com/special/premier...t_descrip.html

Ross Weinshenker December 17th, 2003 11:12 AM

Where on that 2nd page do I download from?

Charles King December 17th, 2003 11:43 AM

I'm sorry Ross, I thought you wanted to know the link where you could register for the movie looks. The second link is where you have to register your Adobe Premiere Pro which you don't have. I misunderstood. Sorry.

Ross Weinshenker December 17th, 2003 11:45 AM

Dammit. I don't have the money for premiere pro :(

Ross Weinshenker January 9th, 2004 11:08 AM

Yeah I was wondering this same thing. I don't want to have to create all these film looks myself in Premiere 6.5. And I also don't want to upgrade to Premiere Pro right now either...

Alani Heredia February 1st, 2004 11:07 AM

can anyone please explain the preset trick with magic bullet? or point me in the direction of a tutorial that lets me create these movie looks in after effects.

-thanks