DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Techniques for Independent Production (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/techniques-independent-production/)
-   -   Shutterspeed - film look (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/techniques-independent-production/30889-shutterspeed-film-look.html)

Lasse Bodoni August 23rd, 2004 03:39 PM

Shutterspeed - film look

How do you tell if I was using higher shutterspeed than 50 (PAL)?

I just made some test and if the light is god than I can get a really god "filmlook" shallow focus with highering the shutterspedd from 50 to 300-600.

It is a Sony PD150 P, with a Centuryoptics 16:9 adapter, Shneider ND .9 and Circular Polarizer in a mattebox.

Jonathan Stanley August 23rd, 2004 04:30 PM

I'm not exactly sure what your question was but this is a common trick to use (I am currently using it extensively on a shoot I am doing). It gives a "frenetic" motion to the image which mimics what happens when you undercrank a film camera (1st twenty min of Saving Private Ryan).

Kin Kwan August 23rd, 2004 04:41 PM

You can tell if a video is shot at a high shutter speed by the lack of motion blur. A higher shutter speed captures more details in motion areas. This causes that "frenetic" motion that Mr. Stanley is talking about. Another word to describe it would be "strobby."

I might be wrong on this, but as far as I know, a higher shutter speed does not give you a shallower DOF. In order to obtain a high shutter speed, the iris is smaller than when it's at a lower shutter speed.

-KiN

Scott Anderson August 23rd, 2004 04:58 PM

Kin, It's just the opposite. By using a fast shutter, it allows you to open the iris up. Open iris = shallower depth of field. But ufortunately, the smaller size of the chips will never allow you the same silky DOF as on, say a 35mm camera. Even if you could open the iris all the way for every shot, you'd still have more depth of field for a particular field of view. I also find the strobing, stuttery look problematic not just for action scenes, but also for plain old dialogue. Even facial movement looks unnatural at 1/1000th shutter. The look has it's merits, though, and has been used to great effect in music videos, product shots and shots intended to be processed as slo-mo.

Kin Kwan August 23rd, 2004 05:28 PM

Hey Scott, thanks for the info. Now I'm kind of confused, so a faster shutter opens up the iris more? Dang...I got it all mixed up then :/

Well, thanks for clearing things up!

-KiN

Boyd Ostroff August 23rd, 2004 05:50 PM

To avoid the problems you describe with high shutter speeds, carry around a few different ND filters. They will let you open up the iris without increasing shutter speed.

"Strobby"? Hmm.... rhymes with "hobby" and "lobby"?... I think it should be "strobey" :-)

Lasse Bodoni August 23rd, 2004 10:16 PM

Jonathan Stanley

My question was if it is possible to se whvat I was using to shutt the "movie" Higher shutter speed or ND?

-----------------

What kind of ND do you use? I have the Shneider ND .9 and ND1, ND2 in the camcorder.

Ronald Lee August 29th, 2004 04:12 AM

actually, you'd want a slower shutter speed, say 1/30th to GET MOTION BLUR, which looks more like film and less like video.

Lasse Bodoni August 29th, 2004 05:51 AM

I'm using a PD150 P and it hasn't got the frame mode. Higher shutterspeed gives me a greater shollow dof.

I guess I gonna stick with a Canon XL2 or DVX100+anam. lens.