DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Techniques for Independent Production (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/techniques-independent-production/)
-   -   Film door opened effect? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/techniques-independent-production/31181-film-door-opened-effect.html)

Paul Calf August 30th, 2004 06:54 AM

Film door opened effect?

Hi im looking to recreate an effect I've seen which i think is caused by the opening on the film door on a film camera. It causes the picture to go white/red/orange very briefly in an overexposed type way.

At the moment i just overlay 4 frames of white color going from semi-transparent to solid to semi-transparent, it kinda gives what im looking for.

Anyone know a better way of creating it or even if this type of effect has a name!?

Kevin Burnfield August 30th, 2004 04:27 PM

in post is the best way I can think of... some sort of dissolve transition that comes up over a group of frames so it's not an instant 'cut'.

Plus in post you could ramp up the light so it looks brighter or more 'overexposed'

Hugh DiMauro September 8th, 2004 07:07 AM

Flashes

From what I've heard (and I could have heard wrong) , the cameraman uses a "penlight" to briefly flash the frame in the gate as it moves.

Keith Loh September 8th, 2004 09:48 AM

In AfterEffects you would have a white object placed over a few frames quickly ramping up its opacity from 0 to 100%. It may require combining a glow of some sort.

You can do the same thing in Vegas working with opacity.

Sigurjon Gardarsson September 8th, 2004 02:38 PM

I've done this but it requires a compositing package.
Simply dissolving a white frame into the footage doesn't quite do it for me.
I use Combustion in this example.

Import your clip into a new workspace.
In Operators/Color Correction add the Discreet Color Corrector.
Go to the frame in your clip that you want to be white.
Highlight the Discreet CC in your workspace and click on "Timeline" in the Control window.
Select all ranges and click "Add Key"
Go to the CC controls and set the Basic "Master" and HighLights" values as following:
"RGB Gain" to 1000 and "Offset" to 255
Click the Animate button to activate keyframe animation.
Go to the first frame you want the effect to begin on and set all the values to the default settings (RGB Gain to 100 and Offset to 0)
Go halfway between the 2 keyframes and set the RGB Gain Offset on the master to 0.
Now go to the last frame of the desired effect and repeat the last two steps.

Now you have an effect that feels more like a burning effect.
The way it usually behaves is that it takes only a couple of frames to get to the white flash frame and 4 to 5 frames to return to normal, but the timing can be customised by sliding the keyframes.

If you have a hard time understanding this or you need a workspace with a preset to see what's happening feel free to PM me.