DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Techniques for Independent Production (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/techniques-independent-production/)
-   -   Websites I can upload my feature film to? YouTube stops 10 minute + movie uploads (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/techniques-independent-production/357352-websites-i-can-upload-my-feature-film-youtube-stops-10-minute-movie-uploads.html)

Heath McKnight September 3rd, 2009 06:52 PM

Websites I can upload my feature film to? YouTube stops 10 minute + movie uploads

Hey guys,

I tried uploading my feature to YouTube but was told it was deleted because it was longer than 10 minutes. When did that happen?

I'm on Vimeo but you can't upload larger than 500 MB a month and my film, even at 600 x 338 frame size and good resolution, is almost 850 MB. And I can't justify paying $60 a year for more space.

Veoh, I don't know anything about.

Any other places I can upload it that are nice, popular, and legit?

Thanks,

Heath

Eric Darling September 3rd, 2009 09:24 PM

YouTube has always had a 10 minute limit.
You can always compress your movie more before uploading so it goes to Vimeo.

Heath McKnight September 3rd, 2009 09:32 PM

We're going to try uploading it directly into my website. If that fails, I'm trying:

ExposureRoom - Providing Exposure & Opportunity for Talent

or just going back to MobileMe

Thanks!!

heath

Bill Thesken September 4th, 2009 01:38 PM

I see 9:04 up on Exposureroom. 1hr26mim in length. I checked out some of the trailers a few months ago, and thought it was going to DVD. I'm being a little nosy, but did you manage to make $ off this venture? I thought it looked good and funny, worth a price of admission, and will check out the full movie later today. -BT

Heath McKnight September 4th, 2009 03:36 PM

Hi Bill,

Thanks for that. I haven't made money simply because the DVD isn't out yet. Two theater showings had us basically breaking even or losing a little bit of money. I would like to maybe do some small screenings at colleges and small theaters around Florida and try to sell the DVD.

Heath

Heath Vinyard September 19th, 2009 11:26 AM

I've been putting my stuff on openfilm.com.

Andrew Smith September 21st, 2009 02:11 AM

I haven't done this myself yet, but I believe that you can apply to YouTube to have the limit lifted for your particular uploads.

Just something I have heard from others.

Andrew

Josh Bass September 21st, 2009 06:17 AM

Hey, Heath, I'm not trying to be a jerk here, but, usually one only puts their features or shorts online in their entirety, with free access to anyone, if they're not trying to distribute any other way or all other distribution options have been exhausted (or so I've heard). Conventional wisdom is that having stuff online can disqualify you from many film festivals and other distribution outlets. Just looking out for you.

Heath McKnight September 21st, 2009 07:27 AM

Josh,

I've already been in a couple of film festivals and I'm getting ready to self-distribute the movie. For me, this was the best way to get the film out to the world. We'll see if my little experiment works or not.

I'm going to be taking down the movie soon, along with the "webisodes" at MySpace.

Heath

Josh Bass September 21st, 2009 01:47 PM

Cool. Good luck then.

Heath McKnight September 21st, 2009 01:48 PM

Josh,

I was partially inspired by Radiohead's release model back in October 2007 with In Rainbows. I won't be putting it up for a "you choose the price," but I was hoping to get some eyeballs on it.

Heath

Josh Bass September 21st, 2009 02:11 PM

NO, I gotcha. I just wanted to make sure you weren't unintentionally screwing yourself. I have most of mine (shorts that is) online, but the last one and the one I'm currently working on aren't/won't be 'til I've given up on everything else.

On the one hand it kinda kills me that I can't just put up a link and tell anyone "GO WATCH MY NEW FILM!" But on the other hand know realistically only a handful of people would even if I did so. So I'm really not missing out. Bass doesn't go viral, unfortunately. Not my films anyway. Heh.

Heath McKnight September 21st, 2009 02:13 PM

Mine don't, either. I did post up 9:04 AM as a webisode series on MySpace and some of them got incredible views (for me at least). I might keep up the first 4 "webisodes" and take down the rest.

I'll be ganking 904 the feature off Exposure Room and 9.04 AM in a few days.

I'm sure your stuff will go viral soon enough!

heath

Josh Bass September 21st, 2009 02:26 PM

I wish. I don't know what the secret is to making your video get 3 million hits in two weeks, short of spamming message boards or something similarly sleazy (which, according to the craigslist film forum at least, is not well looked upon anyway).

Also, my last "short" was 23 minutes. Not generally acknowledged to be a good online length for viewing, being that most folks won't even sit through something that's even seven minutes.

Heath McKnight September 21st, 2009 02:28 PM

As a guy who used to help run a local event at a major film festival, anything over 12-15 minutes usually doesn't get in. The programmers have to think, "Should I accept a 23 minute short and have a good-sized crowd show up, or two 12 minute shorts and possibly have two good-sized crowds show up?"

Heath