DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Techniques for Independent Production (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/techniques-independent-production/)
-   -   I am producing a new TV show in New Orleans.... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/techniques-independent-production/40170-i-am-producing-new-tv-show-new-orleans.html)

Brent Marks February 26th, 2005 02:59 PM

I am producing a new TV show in New Orleans....

Has anyone here produced a weekly TV show?

Can you give me some info on Trials and Tribulations?

Stuff to watch out for...Mistakes not to make???

thanks,
BRENT

Richard Alvarez March 2nd, 2005 08:23 AM

Hire the best writers, producers and crews you can afford, shoot thirteen episodes and hope for the best.

Brent Marks March 2nd, 2005 09:10 AM

Sounds like a marvelous plan!
:)

But not gonna happen... very small budget...

Myself on cam and directing... one P.A.

and 2 hosts... and we go around the city...

Shooting on HDR-FX1

Putting 2 in the can to shop it around to corp. sponsor

More of a variery show... not a sitcam

Dean Sensui March 4th, 2005 02:25 AM

Brent...

I'm one of three partners who produce a fishing show for a local cable channel. Since June of last year I helped produce 19 shows (the company actually began producing for this cable channel since last January and I'm the new guy).

We work extra hard during Neilsen sweeps to make sure we get a new show on the air each week. So up untiil now it's been very, very busy.

One key issue, as it is in any company large or small, is having a group of people in which each person makes positive contributions toward the end product. In our case, each member has a set of skills which overlap those of the other but each member also has unique skills or knowledge that help add to the mix and build the company.

For example, all three of us work as cameramen. And two of us edit the show.

The host of the show is a natural on-screen talent who evokes a sense of friendliness. People respond well to him both on and off-camera. Lot of his voiceover is extemporaneous and done live. He writes what little scripting is needed and organizes the segments that make up each one-hour episode. He also provides us with a corporate identity and builds the show's relationship with the community.

The other partner is a long-time veteran of broadcast TV and, besides knowing how to do the final assembly of the show and piece together segments, he has a lot of background in the business of television. For example, he knows how Neilsen ratings can affect revenues and how to charge for commercial spots.

My own skills overlap the other two: knowing how to shoot, rig audio equipment, edit segments and doing everything needed to finish the online master for the show. I also deal with any technical issues and manage the website.

As a rule, make sure all the principles of the company know what's going on. This includes operational details, financials, business deals. All our emails are cc'd to all three members. This is backed up with phone calls and occasional meetings.

And always remember that even though this may be a rewarding activity it's also a business. There are budget limits. And people need to earn a living at it. So having someone out there selling commercial time is just as important as having a crew out there shooting episodes.

Until the end of last year I was the chief photographer of one of Hawaii's major daily newspapers. This change of careers has proven to be quite satisfying so far. Educational as heck, too!

So it can be done. Just gotta find the right people with whom to work.

Dean Sensui
www.HawaiiGoesFishing.com