DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Techniques for Independent Production (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/techniques-independent-production/)
-   -   Chris, Stephen or anyone... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/techniques-independent-production/4666-chris-stephen-anyone.html)

Vinson Watson October 29th, 2002 11:18 PM

Chris, Stephen or anyone...

Any of you guys know of any feature length movie shot in Canon's frame mode then put straight to video or on DVD? I'd love to see it.

-Vinson

Chris Hurd October 30th, 2002 01:43 AM

Vinson, I know for sure that "Cicadas" by Kat Candler was Normal mode. There's "Split Decision" by Marcy Garriot -- I'll have to get in touch with her and find out if it's Frame mode (and also if she's gone to DVD yet).

Vinson Watson October 30th, 2002 03:41 PM

Thank you. I'd appreciate that.

-Vinson

Adam Lawrence October 30th, 2002 06:25 PM

"Julian Donkey Boy" by Harmony Coren...but i think that was a theatrical release...not sure.. but it was good and shot entirley on Xl1 (frame mode).

Vinson Watson October 31st, 2002 01:22 AM

What I'm trying to see is exactly how frame mode looks unaltered (meaning before it's printed to film). I've set up a demo with Helix here in Chi-town to see what's going on. I want to test the VX2K and the GL2. I won't bother with the XL1s because I probably won't be able to afford it and frankly am just interested in it for style. I'm thinking about getting DV Filmmaker and a VX2K or a the GL2 alone and shooting in frame mode. (Another choice is getting the GL-2 and DVFilmmaker but I'm really worried about low light).

I've heard the mics are better on the GL2 but it only has a 1/4 chip and I do plan a lot of low light shots. Right now I can get either cam for about $2000 from a reputable dealer. It's a hard choice. With the VX2K I know I'm going to have to probably spend another $400 on a decent mic versus $200 for a mic for the GL-2. Both have a nice style but have flaws but both are surely desireable because their strengths outweight their weakness. The DVX100 seems to be the obvious answer (it has it all) only it's out of my price range right now.

I must admit I love the space age look of the GL-2 and if frame mode looks the way I want it too this will probably be the camera I chose. If frame mode falls through then I'm back to the VX2K. I know I can't really go wrong with either cam but I'm just going to have to see for myself and I'm really feeling the VX2K as far as lowlight goes. I hate the fact they used 1/4 chips in this cam.

-Vinson

Aaron Koolen October 31st, 2002 02:04 AM

Vinson if you're doing theatrical stuff with your camera, the onboard mic of the GL2 is pretty crap really. I mean it's a good mic as far as on camera mics go, but I doubt it would be anything near reasonable for anything you want to do dramatically. I haven't done any specific hardcore audio tests with my Xm2, but it pics up everything, from every direction. Not good for dialogue really.

Vinson Watson October 31st, 2002 02:26 PM

The problem is that there's a specific mic that everyone uses to solve to hiss problem of the VX2000 and it's a $400 mic (I forget the name of the mic). I don't mind the "ambient" sound of an omnidirection mic plus I can get cheaper mics (in the $200 range) to make the sound on the Canon more appropriate if needed. The mic I used on Panasonic's PVDV100 (not the DVX100) was a cheap on camera consumer mic and was fine. There was no camera noise (atleast none that could be heard) and the dialogue was crisp and understandable.

If I was shooting a street scene that background noise was perfect and then I'd do close ups for the speaking parts. (Putting the camera right on the actor). Plus the actors were stage trained so they knew out to project. If Canon's mic is anything like that I can get a good sound from it simply by controling the sound enviorment and turning the mic's pick up down if I have to. (To eliminate variables I couldn't control).

-Vinson