DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Techniques for Independent Production (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/techniques-independent-production/)
-   -   frame mode on TV (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/techniques-independent-production/4750-frame-mode-tv.html)

Bob Zimmerman November 2nd, 2002 11:44 PM

frame mode on TV

What about frame mode on TV? I know alot of this talk about frame and normal modes is aimed at the big screen. I shot some stuff in the frame mode and it looks good just played back on my TV. Has anyone done or know of any TV programs (PBS, Discovery, etc) done in frame mode? I'm not sure but I guess a TV station would have to transfer DV to some other format. Would that effect the look?

Vinson Watson November 3rd, 2002 12:20 AM

I'm investigating the same thing myself.
-Vinson

John Locke November 3rd, 2002 01:05 AM

I believe I read one time that "ER" used an XL-1 in frame mode for some shooting.

Don Donatello November 3rd, 2002 11:46 AM

" I'm not sure but I guess a TV station would have to transfer DV to some other format. Would that effect the look?

does NOT affect the look of frame mode ... also most persons render frame mode as interlace ..again does NOT affect how frame mode looks . you can still put the 2 fields together and they will match .

Craig Lindvahl December 12th, 2002 08:22 PM

frame mode

I've used the frame mode for two documentaries. More Than A Game was distributed by APT (American Public Television) to PBS stations around the country. Everything was shot using the frame mode, and simply mastered to Beta SP. Everyone seemed happy with the look.

I just finished another, called A Time For Honor-all of the interviews were shot using the frame mode. It should make it's way across the country next fall.

We're in production on a new one, called An Uphill Climb, which will be completely done using the frame mode.

I haven't had any complaints, which surprised me a bit. More Than a Game was shot beginning in the summer of 1998, and I wasn't at all sure using the frame mode was going to be acceptable.

Rob Lohman December 13th, 2002 05:17 AM

Playing frame mode on a TV is no problem at all. It will look okay.
Most commercial movie DVD's are played back in frame mode as
well!

Hagop Matossian December 17th, 2002 07:27 AM

interesting

craig: the use of frame mode on TV interests me greatly, especially as nearly all of my lecturers poo poo it as only useful for taking stills from moving footage (and if that lot think its useless, I'm sure it has plenty of merit!)

I tend to use it for evertything, unless I particulalry need clarity of shot, or that interlaced, eyewitness video look.

what are your documentaries about?

did you choose frame mode because it was simpler than de-interlacing the footage afterwards to get the same look?

did increased the vertical resoulution help/hinder you in any way?

did u use any filters/effects to get the look you liked?

I don't mean to be rude but judging by the titles are these supposed doc's supposed to be 'edutainment'? does frame mode help in presenting your topics to this audience?

cheers

fargogogo December 17th, 2002 12:59 PM

panning

Does frame mode affect the look of panning at all? Jerkier? because the movement is updated every 1/30 second, rather than 1 field every 1/60?

Rob Lohman December 18th, 2002 07:38 AM

Movement will look different indeed. I personally don't dislike
it. Best way is to check it out for yourself!