DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Techniques for Independent Production (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/techniques-independent-production/)
-   -   information for editors (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/techniques-independent-production/536963-information-editors.html)

Paul Mailath August 21st, 2019 05:31 AM

information for editors

We have a number of productions in the pipeline and I'm wondering what information is really useful for the editor - there seems to be lots of different forms floating around and I wonder about the necessity for all the information.

Scene, Shot & Take make sense but duration? It seems to me that camera file number & audio file number would make more sense. We still use clapper boards that have roll when few people are using film in an independant and low budget setting.

As an editor working on someone elses project, what information would you like to see along with the files.

Paul Mailath August 24th, 2019 09:40 PM

Re: information for editors

no replies? - obviously everyone's editing their own work.

Brian Drysdale August 25th, 2019 01:51 AM

The slate information depends on which slating system you're using. The UK uses a different system to the US, it's a sequential slate number in the UK.

The continuity person and production people won't have camera file number & audio file numbers, although noting the time code is quite common.

Rainer Listing August 25th, 2019 06:21 PM

Work off a shot list. Slate every shot. Shot, Scene and Take is enough. Put the shot number where the clapper says "roll". If you go off the list, just add a, b, c to the shot number. The editor will organise subclips, labels, tags whatever else she needs.

Jan Klier August 25th, 2019 06:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul Mailath (Post 1952551)
We still use clapper boards that have roll when few people are using film in an independant and low budget setting.

I find it useful to equate roll number with memory card. Every time we switch cards, we increment the roll number, so if you need to find it in the transfers it's obvious where to look.

Steven Digges August 25th, 2019 06:44 PM

I couldn't care less about duration. How are you going to know that when slating before you roll anyway? But slating is critical, especially if all cameras and audio recorders are not jam synced together. The most important info on the slate is: Scene #, witch comes from the script and Take, which comes from the number of shots. That is all I care about when editing.

That information can save you tons of headaches in post. No matter how hard you try to keep all camera ops and audio records in sync every time they push the record button it is not a perfect world. Someone is going to push the button twice or not push it off when they should. When dumping hundreds of files into a NLE they never line up in perfect order as you hope. The slate info is your audio/visual guide to keeping every file on the same take when in post.

Many cameras have the ability to modify file names in various ways before shooting. Proper settings there can make you or break you. The worst of it is when file numbers are set to reset themselves back to XXX for various reasons like changing a card etc. Ending up with numerous files with the same name is a post pain in the but. Set the file names and type appropriately before you shoot.

Also, even though we now have an automatic digital tool to sync audio from multiple files it does not always work. So we still hit the slate clapper twice, not once. There is nothing like having two sharp spikes in the waveform when you are slipping tracks manually one frame at a time.

Kind Regards,

Steve