DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Techniques for Independent Production (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/techniques-independent-production/)
-   -   I have a question about using sandbags as weights. (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/techniques-independent-production/538115-i-have-question-about-using-sandbags-weights.html)

Ryan Elder June 1st, 2021 11:16 PM

I have a question about using sandbags as weights.

I am shooting in a windy location for the next few days. I didn't pick it, and the location is not up to me, but the lights keep falling over because of the wind, and the bags are not able to hold them down because we cannot secure the bags on top of the legs without them slipping off. Does anyone else know how to do this? I tried watching videos on it but in the videos, the bags stay on.

Thanks for any information on it! I really appreciate it!

Paul R Johnson June 2nd, 2021 04:24 AM

Re: I have a question about using sandbags as weights.

Ratchet straps. Gaffer tape. Bungee cord.

Pete Cofrancesco June 2nd, 2021 06:20 AM

I put them on the inside leg. https://www.diyphotography.net/sandb...them-properly/

But in order to work they can’t touch the ground so you might need to use tape or other means mentioned to secure them. I find c-stands better for outdoor locations. When you factor the time and weight of deploying sand bags...

Ryan Elder June 2nd, 2021 07:53 AM

Okay thank you very much. I have used C-stands before, but this production is using the more extendable stands. The inside leg isn't big enough to fit a sandbag through because they want to heighten the lights as high as possible for this shoot, and this causes the stand to become much thinner on the buttom, if you want to go the highest. So it's hard to get a sandbag through the leg.

However, if I use gaf tape, the gaf tape keeps slowly peeling off though by the weight of the bag.

Pete Cofrancesco June 2nd, 2021 08:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ryan Elder (Post 1965128)
Okay thank you very much. I have used C-stands before, but this production is using the more extendable stands. The inside leg isn't big enough to fit a sandbag through because they want to heighten the lights as high as possible for this shoot, and this causes the stand to become much thinner on the buttom, if you want to go the highest. So it's hard to get a sandbag through the leg.

However, if I use gaf tape, the gaf tape keeps slowly peeling off though by the weight of the bag.

I'd get thin nylon rope from a hardware store. It's better suited to holding weight than tape is.

Paul R Johnson June 2nd, 2021 12:25 PM

Normally, you attach the sandbags properly - cable ties are good, then gaffer as secondary attachment. I'm a bit surprised we're talking about this - weights and stability are usually what the junior/ass grades tend to do anyway? I like releasable cable ties - 300mm strong ones - they can do so many things. As a general rule - lots of weight, as low as possible, and as structurally secure as possible.

Donald McPherson June 2nd, 2021 01:53 PM

Get someone to hold them.

John Nantz June 2nd, 2021 02:04 PM

Ryan - I like this question!!!

Failure, in this caee, is likely to be very expensive.

Cost of the damage equipment, lost time in the shoot (may have to return another day), increased labor cost, etc.

Wind questions:
is it from one direction, numerous directions but within a range like, say, a quadrant (say 90º), or all over the map (360º)?

While placement of the bags inside the legs may be typicall, for best resistant to tipping the bag will be more effective when placed outside the leg.
T = Torque
W = Weight
D = distance
T = W x D (x = times)

Depending on how windy it is, like, really, really windy, then the legs must be spread out wider. Can’t do that? then Improvise!

Suggestions:
Plan A: Get some wood - 1 x 4 x 6 feet (2 meters?) Edit: 1-inch x 4-inches x 6 feet
Form a V with the point under one leg and the other two legs spaced on the outstreatched boards. Wire-tie them down. (concrete rebar tie-wire is fairly cheap. Drill holes through the wood to feed the tie-wire through.

If this isn’t enough, gest a sack of sand (from the big-box hardware store) and put on the V-end of the boards. Any rocks on site?

Plan B: Plywood
One can do the same setup with a sheet of 4 x 8 plywood.

Cheap or free wood source?
Search your local on-line want-ads. There are usually ads for Free used stuff.
Heck, even cinder blocks would be good weights. (approx 6H x 8W x 16L, in inches)

Plan C: anyone just standing around??? Put them to work holding the stands down and make sure they don’t tip over. If the stand tips, they need to get under it and cushion the fall.
[Just noticed that Donald beat me to this one!]

The key word is: IMPROVISE

Ryan Elder June 2nd, 2021 07:10 PM

Okay thanks! I managed to get the sand bags down secure and it's holding so far, although it wasn't as windy for today's shoot. But I will see how it holds up when it gets more windy again. The wind is coming from one direction.

The location has a three walls surrounding us, but the side where there is no wall, the wind is blowing in hard.

Paul R Johnson June 3rd, 2021 12:33 AM

This is a really basic area where ryan’s rules fall down. Improvise, adapt and innovate. On the spot, with available materials. This is an area where you sink or swim, because by and large, it cannot be taught as each problem is unique. You simply stand there. Take in the problem and fix it. And yes, it may well mean you put a person on it, and that’s their job.

Pete Cofrancesco June 3rd, 2021 08:06 AM

Don't be too hard on him. We all know improvising isn't has strong suit. I'd also assume this is another no budget, can't afford equipment, skeleton crew, project.

I just finished shooting outdoor amateur movie. My god the amount of energy and determination to deal with weather and every sort of issue is exhausting.

Brian Drysdale June 5th, 2021 11:32 AM

If using Lighting stands. putting the sandbags on the cross struts will work better than the legs themselves; the bags don't slide down., If working in really windy conditions, lashing the stand to a solid support, such as a lamp port or railings, tends to prevent damaged lights. .

Ryan Elder June 9th, 2021 06:59 PM

Okay thanks. I wanted to put them on the cross struts before but there is barely enough space in there to put them. I could get smaller sandbags but then they would be too small for the wind. But I have taped the sandbags down with lots and lots of tape and so far it's holding...

Paul R Johnson June 10th, 2021 12:38 AM

The world survives on gaffer tape.

Pete Cofrancesco June 10th, 2021 09:16 AM

People rather spend money on a camera and save on things like light stands. You’re finding out in ideal conditions cheap light stands are fine, but outside in windy conditions you’ll discover why they are cheap.