How do you prevent shaking on telephoto lenses? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Techniques for Independent Production

Techniques for Independent Production
The challenges of creating Digital Cinema and other narrative forms.

Old April 14th, 2023, 10:45 PM   #1
also known as Ryan Wray

How do you prevent shaking on telephoto lenses?

How do you prevent shaking on telephoto lenses?

I wanted to shoot a feature film with a large amount of shots on telephotos lenses, like how the movies Heat (1995) and Seven Samurai (1954) were shot on telephoto lenses. I like how a good portion of the chase scenes in Seven Samurai are shot on telephoto lenses with the lenses used to create more movement to track the characters during the chase.

I wanted to do the same thing for some chase scenes, but when I pan and tilt with a telephoto lens on a fluid head tripod, there is shaking in the lens, even though I am on a tripod, since that is how sensitive a telephoto lens is on a tripod.

How did the camera operator on Seven Samurai prevent shake on a telephoto lens on a tripod, or am I doing something wrong perhaps? Thank you very much for any input on this! I really appreciate it!
Ryan Elder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2023, 12:12 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: How do you prevent shaking on telephoto lenses?

What tripodhead and lens did you use?
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2023, 10:34 AM   #3
Vortex Media

Having a really good tripod is the most underappreciated, most vitally important, piece of equipment you should invest in. It's also important to get it setup and balanced properly for the camera rig, which a lot of people don't bother to do right.

As Noa says, its hard to offer any meaningful advice without more info about the specific tripod, camera, and lens you are using.
Old April 18th, 2023, 10:53 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Last time Ryan asked about shake, he was using a long lens on a rotten head on a spidery tripod I seem to remember. He wants a 'buy this', it will sove the problem solution. Our advice hasn't changed since the last time we discussed this.

The problem is physics. As field of view narrows, small movements of the lens look bigger. Ye canna change the laws of physics Captain. Canon and Funinon have some excellent broadcast lenses with really good image stabilisation, sitting on mega heads and supports - and they still wobble.
Paul R Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2023, 08:01 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Less coffee and try not to breathe.
Also, a tripod helps.
A lot of good post-stabilization software out there to help clean it up as well.

Good luck
dMb
Old April 20th, 2023, 05:50 PM   #6
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul R Johnson View Post
Last time Ryan asked about shake, he was using a long lens on a rotten head on a spidery tripod I seem to remember. He wants a 'buy this', it will sove the problem solution. Our advice hasn't changed since the last time we discussed this.

The problem is physics. As field of view narrows, small movements of the lens look bigger. Ye canna change the laws of physics Captain. Canon and Funinon have some excellent broadcast lenses with really good image stabilisation, sitting on mega heads and supports - and they still wobble.
Ryan should title his movie "Compression". He's been obsessing over this issue for years if not decades.
Pete Cofrancesco is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Techniques for Independent Production