DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Techniques for Independent Production (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/techniques-independent-production/)
-   -   Frame mode - speeds (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/techniques-independent-production/8219-frame-mode-speeds.html)

Christopher Hughes March 31st, 2003 03:10 PM

Frame mode - speeds

In frame mode, what does everyone use for the 'film look' You go for 1/25 or 1/50. I have used 1/25 and like it. But do people find 1/50 better? Or do you go by the light available? Do u keep same throughout or sometimes mix between the two? Or do u keep 1/25 and use ND filters to keep in aperture 'sweet spot'?

Those that transfere to film, do you use 1/25 or 1/50? or does that not really matter?

Ken Tanaka March 31st, 2003 03:13 PM

What camera are you referring to? I assume PAL?

Christopher Hughes April 1st, 2003 01:27 PM

Sorry... yeah its PAL, so would be 1/30 or 1/60 NTSC equiv.

Daniel Broadway April 1st, 2003 02:52 PM

Chistopher, a real film camera records at 24 fps with a 1/48th shutter speed. So if you shoot in frame mode at 25fps with a 1/50th shutter speed, it should look just like film. Don't shoot with a shutter speed of 1/25th, it will look odd. Use 25fps with a 1/50th shutter speed.

Don Berube April 1st, 2003 06:50 PM

Go right ahead and use 1/25th sec with your PAL XL1S if you are shooting in Frame Mode and find that you could use the extra stop in exposure.

If you are planning on transferring to film, you should ask the film transfer house who will be doing your transfer what they want you to do and follow their rules religiously.

Many film house will tell you to shoot interlaced. Again, do what your FTH tells you to do. Make sure you shop around different FTH's and look at each of their demo reels and pick the one which most resembles the look you want. At that point, so what they tell you to do. If you decide to deviate, do not do so without first consulting with them. If you decide to do otherwisem, you could run into potential cost nightmares in post trying to correct your mistake. Do this until you have a few film transfers under your belt.

I often times shoot at 1/30th sec in Frame Mode, in those situations when I need more exposure level or if I want my colors to bloom.

- don

Steffen Werske April 2nd, 2003 12:11 AM

With my sony i shot with 1/50 at 25p. (Pal)
It looks more natural than 1/25.

(I use the the "trick" with the memory mode modus
and a second DV cam with DV in to get the 25p effekt.
And it really works great. No matter what Kenn says....)

Steffen

Christopher Hughes April 2nd, 2003 12:51 PM

Can you explain your little "trick" ? I dont think I get what your on about. I have an XL1s, but have used PD150s more than the XL1s.

Steffen Werske April 5th, 2003 02:24 PM

This "trick" works only with the new megapixel cams from Sony.
Not with the PD 150 or with the XL-1.

How to use it ( with a TRV 950 e.g.) :

Go to the "Memory Mode" which you use to take still photos
on a memory stick.
Connect your TRV 950 via the 1394 port with a second
DV cam with DV in.
Select "Play Mode" on the second DV cam.
Now you see the picture from the viewfinder of your TRV 950
in the viewfinder of your second DV cam.
If you want to record the picture you press the "record" button
at your second DV cam. NOT at your TRV 950.
Enjoy the better quality of your video clips.

I tested this and it really improves the quality.
In Vegas 4.0 the clips recorded this way, are under "properties"
defined as "progessive. Not "lowerfield" like normal DV clips.

When i play these avi clips with windows media player 9
i canīt see vertical lines like they are at interlaced avi clips.

Try this and enjoy this :-)

Steffen

John Jay April 6th, 2003 06:45 PM

<<<-- Originally posted by Daniel Broadway : Chistopher, a real film camera records at 24 fps with a 1/48th shutter speed. So if you shoot in frame mode at 25fps with a 1/50th shutter speed, it should look just like film. Don't shoot with a shutter speed of 1/25th, it will look odd. Use 25fps with a 1/50th shutter speed. -->>>

Moviecam can shoot at 25fps and has variable shutter and gets a lot of use in movies these days

Shutter angles over 200 etc can be used effectively to smooth out the strobing effect when panning or trucking by adding motion blur

with video, 1/25 speed is interlaced giving extra vertical resolution over the frame mode which sometimes is important and you will appreciate the motion blur if you dont follow guidelines for panning limits