DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Techniques for Independent Production (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/techniques-independent-production/)
-   -   3 CCD 1/4 vs 3 CCD 1/3 movie look ? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/techniques-independent-production/8726-3-ccd-1-4-vs-3-ccd-1-3-movie-look.html)

Randy Turner April 17th, 2003 12:10 PM

3 CCD 1/4 vs 3 CCD 1/3 movie look ?

I posted a question about the Canon GL2 vs panasonic for movie look in dv and the reply was the Panasonic with its 1/3inch 3 CCD vs the 1/4inch 3 CCD on the Canon that the Camcorder with the 1/3 CCD would be better for getting a movie look and or if i was going to use the camcorder for commercial work the 1/3 3 CCD is going to work for a national tv commercial where the 1/4 3 CCD camcorder would not work for a national tv spot . anyone know if this is true ? the canon has 410.000 pixel the panasonic only 320.000 pixel what makes the diffirance CCD size or pixels ? or ? all comments welcome :-)
Thank you.
Randy.

Dylan Couper April 17th, 2003 02:06 PM

Randy.
If you are doing national commercials, then the client, who is most likely paying the bill, should easily be able to afford rental cost on something more professional that either of these cameras, say something like a 3- 2/3" CCD Sony DSR-570, which will deliver a much better solution to the shooting poblem you are facing, but of course, this is a $25,000 solution, but if you have paying clients who have the budget to do these commercials, then they can foot the bill for a rental, which is probably in the $500/day price range, otherwise, if you are set in purchasing your own camera, and you want CCD size, then look at the JVC GY-DV500, which is a 3-1/2" CCD camera, maybe a little more than the Canon XL1s, but still pretty close to the same price range, however I want to stress, and I've said it before, and I'll say it again, that the video camera you use is like a paintbrush to an artist, it's a necessary tool, but really has very little effect on the overall picture that you produce, hope this helps.

Randy Turner April 17th, 2003 06:31 PM

Dylan how bout DSR 200A ?

what do you think of a DSR 200A ? I can get one for about the same as the GL2 2000.00 2500.00 if i get the cantract for the commercial I need to film the Commercial and present it to the corp thast why i wanted a good cam to get a good product to present if they like what i have then money is not an object and i will rent the best there is :-) what do you think DSR 200 A im sure is an older dvcam can i still download to my computer and add effects with like Ulead software or avid ? i have to wait till money to pay for the GL2 but can get the DSR 200a now what ya think ?
Thanks .
Randy.

Dylan Couper April 17th, 2003 11:02 PM

The DSR200 is in the same range as the other cameras pretty much, except I think its DVCAM only. I've never used one, so I can't say much about it.

Glenn Gipson May 10th, 2003 12:30 PM

>>the canon has 410.000 pixel the panasonic only 320.000 pixel<<

I always thought it was the other way around.

Joseph George May 10th, 2003 12:55 PM

The larger the CCD's the shallower the depth of field. Shallow depth of field is used extensively in film. Neither of the camearas willl give you anything resembling 35 mm depth of field. 1/3" CCDs will give you similar depth of field as Super 8, but only at the same T-stop (close to F-stop). The smaller the T-stop, shallower the DOF; also longer the telephoto, the shallower the DOF. Unfortunately a lens rated F1.8 may only be T3.6 in long telephoto -- on consumer and prosumer cameras.

Randy Turner May 10th, 2003 03:19 PM

Larger the CCDs

Hi joseph I ended up buying the DVX100 hope i made the right choice :-)
Thanx for the info.
Randy.

Joseph George May 10th, 2003 08:04 PM

I think that you made excellent choice