DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   These Are the People in Your Neighborhood (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/these-people-your-neighborhood/)
-   -   Hello from Upstate NY! (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/these-people-your-neighborhood/13038-hello-upstate-ny.html)

Robbie Smolinsky August 9th, 2003 09:30 AM

Hello from Upstate NY!

Hi all,

I've been creeping around these forums for quite some time, and I figured like it was time for me to register and post away, so here I am!

I attend Binghamton University in upstate NY (where I live) and I am a double major in Cinema and Human Development, from which I will be graduating in 2004. I love movies and everything about them, and someday I hope to be able to make a living off of the best art medium around- Cinema!

My favorite films of all time include: Solaris (the original Russian version), anything by Ingmar Bergman or Hitchcock, Jaws, and pretty much any film under the sun that tries to accomplish something new, or bring something new to the medium (i.e. 28 Days Later, yay of DV!!). I am very much into the theory of filmmaking as much as I am the actual production of it, so hopefully I can suppliment those who are masters of the technical elements of DV with my theoretical understandings of movies.

As for my arsenal, here it is:
Sony VX2000 Camera
Audio Technica Shotgun Mic
Some random lights
I edit on my PC (P4 2.4GHZ, Win XP) using Adobe Premiere 6.0 and Pinnacle software on occasion.

I really have enjoyed reading these forums for a while, and I'm sure I'll enjoy being a part of them. One thing that I find dissapointing about DV and filmmaking, is that unlike painting or sculpture for example, many filmmmakers take on a big ego and become quite pretentious/narcassitic once they achieve some success: this forum is completely void of that sort of attitude! I think DV filmmaking is something that everyone can enjoy, and it is just the next step in the development of Cinema as an art form. So keep shooting, and keep DV alive and well!!

Robbie

Marco Leavitt August 9th, 2003 10:11 AM

Welcome Robbie,
I'm a couple of hours away from you in Albany. What are your plans after school?

Robbie Smolinsky August 9th, 2003 11:49 AM

Hi Marco,
I'm not really sure what I'm going to do after next year just yet! I have been looking at graduate schools to do something in film, NYU looks good as far as opportunities opening up just because I can drop their name, but I have a feeling at that school it would be more of a head to head competition than a collective of artists concentrating soley on making quality films and helping one another to progress. I guess I'm sort of an idealist when it comes to these things, movies can be (and mostly is) a cut throat business; however, I like to do things my way, which is the pursuit of success, and to bring as many people as possible along for the ride. I have been trying to find people who would be willing to really put forth their time and resources in order to persue a life of making movies (i.e. set up a production company) but as of yet I haven't found any. I really love working on movies and various video projects (being a part of any facet of video or film production) and its really the only thing I can see myself doing in life. I can't do 9 to 5 at a job that doesn't make me happy but I can do 24/7 in something that does. I'm pretty much open to anything at this point, and I make decisions as they come, so we'll see. If anybody on these boards wants to offer me a job, I will move!! And Marco, if you have any suggestions for options I might want to look into I'd be happy to heard them!!

Robbie

EDIT: LOL. I just read through my post and it sounds reads quite cheesy, but I am at the point where its time to settle on the direction I will go for the rest of my life, so I may sound goofy but its been on my mind a lot lately.

Scott Osborne September 29th, 2003 05:37 PM

Greetings from Rochester.