DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   These Are the People in Your Neighborhood (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/these-people-your-neighborhood/)
-   -   Baltimore, MD (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/these-people-your-neighborhood/16389-baltimore-md.html)

Chris Harring October 29th, 2003 09:37 AM

Baltimore, MD

I'm an indpendent (read: non-professional [read: broke]) producer/director in the Baltimore metropolitan area. My comrade and I produce narrative shorts for festivals, contests, etc. We hope to get involved in either wedding or corporate videography in order to support our fledgling little enterprise.

If anyone in the Baltimore area finds themselves involved in the same kind of thing, or if there is anyone else out there affiliated with the Creative Alliance of Movie Makers, lemme know.

Look forward to learning from you all!

Jacob Mauer October 29th, 2003 02:29 PM

Woah, thats wierd. I just came into the section of the forum about to post the fact that I'm attending MICA in Baltimore, MD. While I don't do any videography as work yet, I'm always interested to learn more about the community. Good to know someone else from Baltimore on the forums.

If you're interested my hometown is Milwaukee, WI.

Joe Carney October 31st, 2003 01:29 PM

I'm currently living and working in Arlington, not far from Baltimore at all. Have camera, truck, laptop.... will travel

Rob Lohman November 11th, 2003 05:55 PM

Welcome aboard Chris!

Dan Gutwein November 12th, 2003 05:36 PM

Dan Gutwein - Gaithersburg, MD

I'm 52 - live in Gaithersburg. A newbie to the DV world and to the videography and DVD business. BUT . . . I'm taking the plung as an avocation for now, so if any of you out there in a 50 mile radius are interested in doing free lance videography and editing I may need to call on you in the near future. I've taught computer music composition at William and Mary for 25 years and have been commuting to Williamsburg VA for the last 5 years (new wife & family in Gaithersburg). I finally quit this last June due to being totally fed up with academia - hassled by my Chair - and tired of the rented room! --- Now what to do? --- Well, my lawyer got W&M to give me 1 yrs. salary for no work and I'm also working 3 days a week a Montgomery College in Rockville - so I'm spending my easy money this year on DV equipment and am starting in the business. Videography and DVDs for family oriented market with the goal of doing corporate training videos etc. This is the only year that I'll have the money to throw at startup costs (equipment, software, and advertising.) Anyway - I'm serious about this and hope that in the future I'll actually need to send some small-time overflow work your way. Let's just hope I am that lucky!

Erik Larsen November 13th, 2003 10:13 AM

Well, I guess I should quit lurking and introduce myself as well. I live in Owings Mills, MD. I am actually an architect, not a videographer. However, I have always had an interest in photography and video. I took photography in college, but I always thought that video was just too expensive to do well. (I wasn't willing to just work with editing VHS or even Hi8 tapes with a camera and VCR back then.) Anyway, as my industry moves more and more toward designing in 3D, I began to do some 3D work, with flythroughs and animation. That led me to Adobe Premiere and adding titles, voiceover, etc. to my 3D work. In the process of learning about Premiere and digital video, I discovered MiniDV. It was like a dream come true. This summer I purchased a used XL1s from another member of DVInfo and am learning how to use it and work with the footage. I don't really have any interesting work completed (just generic home video). I am still at the low end of the learning curve right now.

I have a few ideas for projects that will combine my new hobby and my professional interests, and hope that my company will see the value of such projects. But that will take some time.

Anyway, sorry to go on and on. I really love this forum and am learning a great deal from all of you. Thanks.

Dany Nativel November 14th, 2003 09:24 AM

I think I introduced myself some time ago.
Anyway I'm availlable too in the Baltimore, DC area.

I own a XM2 (PAL GL2) with some microphones (shotgun/lav), mic-preamp and some ligths.

Do not hesitate to share any project idea you may have.

Thanks
Dany

Joe Carney November 18th, 2003 04:45 PM

Dany, I have an MX500 (PAL) and Vegas and other stuff. Doing the bachelor style life while I'm up here. Looking to get either an Echo Gina24 or Layla24 this week (Guitar Center is way too close to my wallet..er apartment, hehehe). I also have cold beer, wine and good Scotch. Wanting to hook up with people to do a short video project. Just need a good script.

Dany Nativel November 18th, 2003 05:04 PM

Joe,

Echo products are great.

I use the Mia (2 channels) to capture the audio from my MD. (from Guitar Center also at $99... couldn't resist even if the card has been discontinuated).

A good script... that's what we need !

Dany

Sean Smith November 24th, 2003 04:27 PM

Hey, located in Ellicott City.

Mark Austin December 14th, 2003 09:36 PM

Howdee!

I lived in Sparks for about nine years, and get up that way a couple times a year. I have been shooting some scenic stuff in Greenmount, and New Cathedral cemeteries over the last couple years for a short I'm working on for Houston singer songwriter John Egan. I have also done lots of still photography in the cemeteries there which have resulted in a couple calanders. If anyone has time over the week of Christmas I may get one free day and we could meet for coffee etc.

Have a great holiday!
Mark

p.s. I miss the beauty of the snow, but I sure don't miss the knar led traffic in bad weather!

Joe Carney December 23rd, 2003 11:09 AM

I ended up getting the new M-Audio firewire 4-10. The guy at Guiter Center was very knowledgeable and helped with the decision. Now I'm saving bucks to get the M-Audio surround monitor set. Nice thing is this baby works with desktop or laptop.

Sean Smith December 24th, 2003 10:09 AM

Joe, I recently bought the Firewire 410 and like it a lot. I recommend buying TRS cables for it. At the same time I picked up a pair of BX-8 monitors. I couldn't afford a sub at that time. IMHO run your sound through a mixer (I use the mackie 1402) for quick muting to avoid any noise or feedback that may come through.

Merry Christmas

Kevin Henderson July 27th, 2004 07:20 AM

Hi there, I'm up here in York, PA. I have recently stepped out on my own doing almost anything video and multimedia wise to make a buck. Things that I'm into: wedding and event videography, format conversions, duplication services, college and schalarship application video, keepsake montages, legal depos, memorial services, training events and curriculum and more. Let's hook up some time.