DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   These Are the People in Your Neighborhood (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/these-people-your-neighborhood/)
-   -   Aloha from Fort Lauderdale (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/these-people-your-neighborhood/26926-aloha-fort-lauderdale.html)

Mark Ahrens June 2nd, 2004 01:21 PM

Aloha from Fort Lauderdale

Well, I am somewhat of a newbie to film and editing but i have been working hard to develop a videography/custom film business focusing on Video Biographies. I was in the printing and graphics industry for 11 years and decided to try something different without so many deadlines and stressful quality control issues. However, i find that there is a whole host of other issues just as compllicated in this industry. But i do enjoy the challenges.

I developed my own website and would appreciate any input and critique on the site or sample work:

www.heritagefilms.net

Anyone have any hints on getting ranked on Google (ie. links to my site)?

I am still in the development stages (ie. no paying customers yet) but my wife and i are optimistic and hopeful that we will be able to develop a healthy and valuable service to our area and increase our skill and craft through time and experience.

I have been aware of this great site for some time but have never posted here. This is THE resource i turn to most often; a great community of folks . . . thanks to all, the wise and the learning (for asking the questions i havent't thought of yet)!

We have an XL1S, Mac G4, PC, etc.
Still need to acquire lighting.

Best regards,
Mark and Andrea Ahrens

heritagefilms.net
Fort Lauderdale, FL USA

K. Forman June 2nd, 2004 02:15 PM

"decided to try something different without so many deadlines and stressful quality control issues"

You think this has less stress?? hehehe

Welcome aboard anyways, and I hope that you find this to be an enjoyable field... even with those special moments we've all had whilst doing video production.

Rob Lohman June 3rd, 2004 04:01 AM

Welcome aboard, Mark! Good to have you with us.

Tip: if you add your site in your profile you'll get a WWW button
under all your posts that links to your site automatically!

Mark Ahrens June 3rd, 2004 08:13 AM

Thanks

Thanks for the tip & the warm welcome!

I added the info but i don't get the underline/link that your post displays. What am i doing wrong?

Rick Bravo June 3rd, 2004 08:33 AM

A Miami Shout-out!

Welcome.

RB

Rob Lohman June 3rd, 2004 12:57 PM

You did it right. Look at the bottom of your posts there is a WWW
button between email and search now which links to your site.

I also added a signature and included tags to make the links
"clickable". See this FAQ entry on how to make those yourself.

Mark Ahrens June 3rd, 2004 01:24 PM

Thanks for the tips, Rob.
Great link to tools i never knew about. Guess i should peruse the FAQ pages some more.

Rick, got enough equipment?
Very impressive. You must encounter a lot of interesting shots. Have you done the "Cops" shots . . . like, sprinting behind perps? How come i never hear the cameraman panting, lavalier mics?

Rick Bravo June 4th, 2004 10:26 AM

Mark,

You can never have enough equipment...especially when someone else is buying!!! :)

Yes we do quite a lot of COPS type shooting. We are frequently out with the Special Response Team, Tactical Narcotics Team, etc.

Lots and lots of runnin' and gunnin' chasing after badguys...GOD I LOVE MY JOB!

The ONLY reason you don't hear the cameraman panting is...EDITING! Trust me when I tell you that there has been many a time when I have almost lost my lunch after running up 4 flights of steps carrying a 35 pound BetaCam and wearing another 30 pounds of equipment in Miami's heat!

Looked at your site, very nice work. You should do land-office business, those packages are great keepsakes!

RB

Mark Ahrens June 4th, 2004 10:34 AM

What do you mean by Land-Office business?

Rick Bravo June 4th, 2004 10:43 AM

Land-office business: a very large and profitable volume of commercial activity.

Also:

NOUN: A thriving, extensive, or rapidly moving volume of trade.

In other words...you should do very well!

RB

Mark Ahrens June 4th, 2004 10:58 AM

Thanks for the suport!
I sure hope we do well, after 11 years of owning my own business (and selling it) i don't think i can work for someone else . . . easily.

Take care!