DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   These Are the People in Your Neighborhood (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/these-people-your-neighborhood/)
-   -   1st short finished (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/these-people-your-neighborhood/3268-1st-short-finished.html)

Danny Viescas August 19th, 2002 09:46 PM

1st short finished

Hi all,

My name is Danny Viescas and a few months ago I took the plunge into the wonderful world of Canon XL1s DV. Thanks to a number of you out there and the great resources of this site and community I have finished my first project.

It's a short called 'The Second Bakery Attack', based on the short story by Haruki Murakami. It's 25 minutes and available for any of you to view. I just ask that you give me some feedback, good, bad or ugly, all is appreciated.

You can find it at:
http://anubiseye.com/projects.html

Danny
danny@anubiseye.com
"May all your important memories be in Frame Movie Mode"

John Locke August 20th, 2002 12:50 AM

Hi Danny,

Thanks for posting...I'll definitely check it out.

I have a question for you...not trying to open a can of worms but just curious...did you get permission from Murakami? Is permission even needed for a not-for-profit "adaptation" of a story?

I've been considering shooting something based on a short story written by someone else...the first time I'll have shot someone else's material. Just wondering what permissions are needed and how "loose" an adaptation needs to be before it doesn't require permission.

Anyone else have comments?

Rob Lohman August 20th, 2002 02:14 AM

I'm going to take a look at it. Do you also have downloads instead
of only streaming? I myself am only on a broadband connection
at work and ofcourse cannot watch it here. I usually download
stuff and watch later at home.

Thanks.

Danny Viescas August 20th, 2002 11:33 AM

Permission

Hey John,

I didn't get permission but instead took the point of view that this is a non-commercial student effort. To tell you the truth I'm not sure if I have a leg to stand on. However, from researching the festival circuit it seems most copyright holders are quite liberal with not for profit armatures.

I have been in contact with the translator Jay Rubin, who saw it and liked it. He encouraged me to send a copy to Murakami, which I did this week.

Danny Viescas August 20th, 2002 12:32 PM

downloads

Hey Ron,

Thanks for your interest. I have put up a couple of downloadable zip files.

Jay Gladwell August 31st, 2002 08:23 AM

I've had two opposite experiences with copyrighted material and authors. The first was with Stephen King. I asked him for permission (years ago) to use a short story of his for a student project. He said yes, as long as I sent him a copy of the finished film. The second was with Kurt Vonnegut (years ago). He said absolutely not. He was very emphatic about it, too!

My experience has been that for films based on copyrighted material, festivals will require written proof that the filmmaker has permission to use said material. Without it, your film won't even be considered.

Whether it is or isn't a "for profit" project, the filmmaker can still have his pants sued off for copyright infringement, if the original author should decide to pursue the matter. That's the law.

So my advice would be to all those who are considering such an approach, think again. "Or you might want to ask yourself, do you feel lucky punk? Well, do ya?" ;o)

As for myself, if it weren't for my bad luck, I wouldn't have any luck at all!

Marc Betz September 7th, 2002 06:05 AM

Great Job

I actualy got sucked in and let the answering machine pick my calls because I didn't want to miss any of it.

You should be proud of this piece of work.

Congrats

Aaron Koolen September 7th, 2002 06:38 AM

Danny, I see you're a software developer too! Likewise, but only a budding filmmaker, still to make my first movie, which will happen in the next few months. Well done on your first project! Hope to see many more.

Catchya
Aaron

Danny Viescas September 7th, 2002 12:05 PM

Thanks for the feedback

Glad, you guys enjoyed it. So far I have failed to make any film festivals, which has been a bit discouraging, so it's nice to get good feedback.

Hey Aaron, New Zealand!!! Yeah!! I'd much rather be a developer there I think. Seems like a cool place to be. Good luck on your first project. I look forward to seeing it.

Paul Sedillo September 7th, 2002 02:17 PM

Danny,

Great job on your first short. I watched this morning and enjoyed it. Keep up the good work!

Derrick Begin September 24th, 2002 11:59 AM

* * CONGRATULATIONS * *

Excellent! Congratulations!

I am currently shooting a short SAG EXP Short using the XL1S. I am also downloading your featurette to my machine.

Out of curiosity, how many hours did you shoot to get the final piece? Over how many days? Have you kick started any other projects? The festival circuit, hows it treating you?

Questions? Questions? Questions?

Blathering a bit much...

I hope you are celebrating your accomplishment!

Cheers!

Derrick

Thanks in advance for the info...

Scott Silverman October 6th, 2002 01:14 AM

Question for Jay Gladwell

Jay,
You had mentioned that you tried to make a film of one of Kurt Vonnegut's stories. I just read his book "Welcome to the Monkey House" and was wondering what story (if even from that book) you were going to do?

Thanks.

Jay Gladwell October 6th, 2002 08:08 AM

Scott, at the time I was really enamored with "Long Walk to Forever." That was years ago, when I was more of a romantic. Alas, age and experience have made me more cynical. Still, you've given me a reason to go back and re-read the story--indeed the entire book.

Why do you ask?

Scott Silverman October 6th, 2002 12:43 PM

I was just asking because I was interested in what other filmmakers thought would have made a good short film out of that book. I like Kurt Vonnegut's writing and I can see where that story (and many others from the book) would make a good short, especially the ending. Well, if Vonnegut ever reconsiders, and you do make a short, contact me when you are finished. I would love to see the film!

Thanks.

Jay Gladwell October 6th, 2002 12:52 PM

His [Vonnegut's] time for reconsideration has past--he died several years ago. Maybe I will pursue it one more time.