Who's on Google+? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > These Are the People in Your Neighborhood
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

These Are the People in Your Neighborhood
Introduce yourself! Who you are, what you're doing & using.

Old July 26th, 2011, 02:55 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Who's on Google+?

I am.

Let's be friends?

But seriously, I didn't remotely think I was going to like G+ as much as I do. It's showing all the signs of being a very powerful tool for marketing, connection and networking. It seems to be gravitating towards connecting people heavily withing their own fields, much more than Twitter or FB. About 90% of the people I've connected with are photographers, which is my primary field, but I would love to connect with more video/multimedia folks.

Here's me on G+: https://plus.google.com/117783113906561198831/posts

Would love to connect with anyone who on there, or if anyone wants an invite, I'm sure I could figure out how to do that...

Cheers,

Ben
Old July 26th, 2011, 03:44 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: Who's on Google+?

Are you kidding? I'm not even on the Twitface yet.
Old July 26th, 2011, 08:16 PM   #3
Regular Crew

I'm on it.

It seems to work pretty well so far, though it isn't active enough yet to keep me busy.
Old July 26th, 2011, 08:16 PM   #4
Major Player

To be brutally honest, it looks like a ripoff of facebook. Can you explain a little about what it is & what's different from the FB??

Or is it, in general, the same thing?!
David Barnett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2011, 03:06 AM   #5
Regular Crew

I'm on there too. I've added you Ben. I added a "Video Production" circle.

For those interested in Google+, here's an article from Mashable that explains it very well.
Google+: The Complete Guide

For me the two big features that set it apart from Facebook:
• "Circles" that let you customize who sees your posts.
• "Hangouts" - which lets you chat with your friends, either with voice or with voice + webcam. Can set up conferences if you want.

Maybe when enough people get on there we could do some video production "hangouts".
Keith Dobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2011, 07:45 AM   #6
Major Player

Thanks I'll check it out. I read the "Circles" idea, seems pretty smart. I always thought the biggest letdown of FB was "adding" an old friend and only writing them once saying "How ya been?" etc etc. Then 4 years going by & realizing you no longer are in touch. Some people defriend them, but I guess I'm talking about people I used to be pretty good friends with 10-20+ years ago.
David Barnett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2011, 02:31 PM   #7
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Fullerton View Post
Would love to connect with anyone who on there, or if anyone wants an invite, I'm sure I could figure out how to do that...
Interesting, but it seems they ar full :) only possible to get in if you are invited for the time being.
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2011, 03:07 AM   #8
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Fullerton View Post
but I would love to connect with more video/multimedia folks.

Here's me on G+: https://plus.google.com/117783113906561198831/posts

Cheers,

Ben
How do I join your circle?
Old July 28th, 2011, 11:03 AM   #9
Regular Crew

How can you get into Google+ for the beta? I tried to join, but seems I have to be invited?
Old July 28th, 2011, 11:27 AM   #10
Major Player

Yeah, still waiting on an invitation for this, would love it if somebody had some but it seems like they hit their limit already.
Justin Molush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2011, 03:34 PM   #11
Major Player

Google+ is great. Facebook is quickly becoming MySpace, and Google+ is the way to go -- they're doing it right and have a lot more to offer.
Corey Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2011, 10:13 PM   #12
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Gold View Post
Are you kidding? I'm not even on the Twitface yet.
But Adam, I see you already have an Inner Circle. You are off to a good start with G+.
Charles W. Hull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2011, 03:18 PM   #13
Regular Crew

As for joining, G+ is still invite only. But the invites are unlimited. So anyone who wants one, send one of us who is one there your email, and we can send you one.

As for "joining my circle" (or anyone else's for that matter), that's one of the nice things about G+. It has taken more of a "following" approach, similar to how Twitter operates. So on FB, you can only connect with someone if they were interested in being "friends" with you. But with G+, you could put me in a circle, and essentially follow me, even if I had not interest in circling you, which isn't the case. So anyone can circle anyone, but it's always up to the person circled, if they feel like following back.

Circles and hang outs are two of the features that make it standout above FB, as someone above mentioned. Another big one for me, being primarily a photograph (for now...), is that both the photo interface and the Terms of Service in regards to images are both much, much better than on FB.

As for being a ripoff of FB, only in the way that Facebook was a ripoff of MySpace, and MySpace was a ripoff of Friendster, and how General Motors was ripping off Ford when they start also making cars. There's plenty original about G+, to make it different from FB. It's a social network, so there's that in common, but other than that, they are fairly different. It's more of an answer to all the things people don't like about FB, that they didn't seem interested in changing. Theoretically a little more competition in the Social Networking world will be better for all of us. It will be interesting to see how FB and Twitter asnwer back. Although, according to Metcalfe's Law, more competition isn't actually advantageous. Could go either way...

Cheers,

Ben
Old July 29th, 2011, 08:01 PM   #14
Major Player

Who here doesn't mind sending me an invite? Definitely looking to get into this.
Justin Molush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2011, 08:07 PM   #15
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin Molush View Post
Who here doesn't mind sending me an invite? Definitely looking to get into this.
Inbound. I'll try to find your email to send it to.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > These Are the People in Your Neighborhood