DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   These Are the People in Your Neighborhood (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/these-people-your-neighborhood/)
-   -   Hello from Portland Oregon (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/these-people-your-neighborhood/65768-hello-portland-oregon.html)

Daniel Khoo April 23rd, 2006 08:52 PM

Hello from Portland Oregon

Hi everyone,

I’m Daniel from the Portland area.

Just got back into town after working overseas (non-film related) for a few years but have decided to use this spring/summer to shoot a 10-minute short. As such, I’m scrambling to get equipment (M2/lenses, DVX) and prep for that, hopefully shooting in late June.

I’d love to meet up with other independent/aspiring filmmakers in the area and could help out on some shoots. Though I have no formal background in production (a Super8 class at NWFilm ages ago doesn’t really count), I used to be a script coverage writer for Ridley Scott’s production company, and while overseas I ran a few 48-hour film events.

I wasn’t sure which Portland thread to reply to so I just made my own. The other Portland-related posts have been really informative, you guys/gals will probably hear from me soon.

Rob Lohman April 24th, 2006 06:45 PM

Hi Daniel, welcome aboard (H)DV Info Net, good to have you with us!

Brandt Wilson April 25th, 2006 09:50 AM

Welcome back!

Hi Daniel,

You picked a nice time to return! Other than this morning, we've had phenomenal weather.

Although it isn't a production intensive, the super8 class at the Portland Art Museum / Northwest Film Center is a great getting your feet wet class. I used to do the digital transfers for those films and saw some beautiful work.

I have two super 8 cameras of my own and a 16mm CP16R. Right now I'm pursuing my MBA to support the business side of production, so I haven't had any time to shoot in a while. Probably won't shoot again until spring 2008, which is when I finish. I do have a couple scripts waiting patiently for my attention again.

Script coverage? Is that the same as script supervisor? I've never heard that term before. Which of Scott's projects were you on?

Daniel Khoo April 26th, 2006 06:29 PM

I never shot anything on Super8 after that class, unfortunately, and I don't think my Canon 814 is getting playing time anytime soon.

No, script coverage isn't nearly as far along the process as a script supervisor. Basically you read scripts submitted by various agents to the company and write a two-page synopsis/analysis of the script with a rating (as you can imagine they received a LOT of scripts). Not quite as sexy as i try to make it sound when I tell people. Nothing I read actually made it into production, at least not in the form I read them at. It really helped me as a writer though, reading so much of other peoples' work.

Brandt Wilson May 1st, 2006 11:54 AM

I've heard that this kind of work does help the reader's own writing. I think that's the other name I've heard for your position...a reader. Kudos for you having the patience...I don't know if I could have done more than a few. Depends on the quality of the script, though.

I've been reading Robert McKee's writing book Story to help me improve my writing. Slow going since I'm in school now, but it has helped me distill the work somewhat. Once I've finished the book and made another pass at my current script, I may take his class in Las Vegas. I've heard excellent things about what he is able to draw out of his students.

Daniel Khoo May 15th, 2006 12:51 PM

Well, I'm not a spelling-Nazi or anything, but in my experience it's shocking how many errors you'd find in a script from someone represented by an agent. I know the work is much more than that, but it just looks unprofessional, like having spelling errors on your resume.

Yeah, script coverage reader/writer, same thing.

Shawn Nelson August 22nd, 2006 11:48 PM

hey guys

Hey Brandt and Daniel, I'm in Portland too! I've been learning and producing indie shorts for 3 years now. My website is www.nelsonentertainment.com. It'd be great to meet up sometime.

Daniel Khoo August 23rd, 2006 12:12 PM

Hey Shawn, sounds good. I'm pretty bogged down in post on the project I shot last month (and am quickly learning that Powerbook G4 + 1gig RAM + 10-layer Shake composite = slow computer), but would definitely like to meet up.