DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/totem-poll-totally-off-topic-everything-media/)
-   -   Jazz CD recommendations? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/totem-poll-totally-off-topic-everything-media/101108-jazz-cd-recommendations.html)

Heath McKnight August 11th, 2007 01:30 PM

Jazz CD recommendations?

I'm getting back into jazz by listening to "Kinda Blue" by the great Miles Davis. Any other classic jazz recommendations in that vein (no vocals, please)? Any other albums by Davis I need to get, like "B--ches' Brew?"

Thanks,

Heath

John C. Chu August 11th, 2007 05:43 PM

"Kind of Blue" is just amazing.

I also really like Miles Davis' "Porgy and Bess" and "Sketches of Spain"

Make sure you check this out on YouTube:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=sD6hz1yn55c

And this podcast:

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/s...oryId=10862796

Heath McKnight August 11th, 2007 05:48 PM

Thanks so much!

heath

Heath McKnight August 11th, 2007 09:31 PM

I bought Porgy and will be getting B's Brew and perhaps the Birth of Cool and Tribute to Jack Johnson (two songs, around 25 minutes each).

heath

Paul Izbicki August 11th, 2007 11:09 PM

Kats

Classics-
Sonny Rollins: Saxaphone Colossus, Freedom Suite, Best Of ...
Charles Mingus: Ah Um
Dave Brubeck: Take Five
John Coltrane: A Love Supreme
Thelonious Monk: Round Midnight, available on several albums

I know you said no vocals but this is totally infectious and both admit they have no voice:
Les McCann and Eddie Harris, Swiss Movement

Gershwins' Rhapsody In Blue, available on: Gershwin Rhapsody In Blue, also featuring An American In Paris and Porgy and Bess

Chris Christ August 12th, 2007 10:50 AM

Don't miss out on the joyful sound of Wes Montgomery . . .

Paul Izbicki August 12th, 2007 11:49 AM

Make a joyful noise

and what Wes is to the frets, Jimmy Smith is to the Hammond....

Brian Standing August 13th, 2007 02:35 PM

1. Charles Mingus: "Mingus, Mingus, Mingus!"
(I'd vote for either "II BS" or "Hora Decubitis" -- both off this album -- as the greatest jazz song ever recorded)

2. John Coltrane: "Favorite Things"

3. Dexter Gordon: 'round Midnight

4. Miles Davis: "Bitch's Brew" for sure, but also "Sketches of Spain"

5. Thelonious Monk: pretty much anything

I'd also second the Sonny Rollins reccommendations.

Once you've gone through the classics again and re-tuned your ear to the jazz/be-bop standards, start pushing the envelope a bit, and check out some:

Ornette Coleman
World Saxophone Quartet and David Murray's solo work
Art Ensemble of Chicago and Roscoe Mitchell's solo work
Charles Brackeen
Henry Threadgill
Anthony Braxton

Don't forget the Latin jazz players, too, like:
Mongo Santamaria
Ruben Gonzalez

Oh, man. Just talking about this is making me think I need to head back to the public library and check out another dozen disks!

Heath McKnight August 13th, 2007 04:28 PM

Yeah, talking about things you're passionate about can really get you back into it. Happens to me all the time when talking about CDs, movies (esp. Criterion stuff), comic books and more.

So far I'm listening to Kinda Blue (bought it in 1999 and should've bought more), Porgy and Bess, and the very cool, two-songs-only ($1.98 on iTunes) but clocking in at around 45-50 minutes total, A Tribute to Jack Johnson.

Thanks, everyone!

heath

Brian Standing August 16th, 2007 08:59 AM

I've just been listening to some more Mingus. Holy cats! Could his bands play! Moving from soulful melodies to skronking dischord and back again without missing a beat. Turning on a dime and changing rhythms and tempos at the drop of a hat. You never quite know where they're going, yet it all has a common theme.

In addition to Mingus, Mingus, Mingus (still my favorite) here's some of the other Mingus discs I've been listening to lately:

Pithecanthropus Erectus

Live at Carnegie Hall:
Featuring the infamous dual saxophone solo (is that a contradiction in terms?) played by Rahsaan Roland Kirk. Yes, that's right. Rahsaan played two saxophones at the same time. Elsewhere on this album, if you listen carefully, you can hear Mingus screaming "Jesus Christ!" in the background as he eggs his players on. I'm surprised Carnegie Hall didn't crumble into dust from the force of this jam.

Black Saint and the Sinner Lady
Weird, strange and wonderful

Alexander McLeod August 17th, 2007 10:26 PM

Anyone interested in reading about Mingus should look at Sue Mingus's, Tonight at Noon: A Love Story. If you are interested in a thousand word essay on them I wrote for Viet Tide magazine (in English) last year let me know and I will email it to you.
Sandy

Allan Black August 18th, 2007 02:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Heath McKnight (Post 727362)
I'm getting back into jazz by listening to "Kinda Blue" by the great Miles Davis. Any other classic jazz recommendations in that vein (no vocals, please)? Any other albums by Davis I need to get, like "B--ches' Brew?"

Thanks, Heath

You should take a listen to Gordon Goodwins BIG PHAT BAND, I'm referring to the Swingin' for the Fences release. It's the best recording of a big band I've heard in a very long time. Side 1 is a CD and Side 2 is a DVD, has video pix etc. the first I've ever seen.

But the music, arranging, playing etc. is really something else. You can hear and buy it at AMAZON.
Only Swingin' works for me, check reviews for the others before you buy 'em.

Heath McKnight August 18th, 2007 08:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alexander McLeod (Post 730668)
Anyone interested in reading about Mingus should look at Sue Mingus's, Tonight at Noon: A Love Story. If you are interested in a thousand word essay on them I wrote for Viet Tide magazine (in English) last year let me know and I will email it to you.
Sandy

Hit me with the email (hmcknight at gmail dot com).

Thanks,

heath

Alexander McLeod August 18th, 2007 09:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Heath McKnight (Post 730757)
Hit me with the email (hmcknight at gmail dot com).

Thanks,

heath

Heath, just sent it. Let me know if it didn't get to you. (sandman at sprintmail.com)

Sandy

Heath McKnight August 18th, 2007 09:19 PM

Got it, thanks!!

heath