DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/totem-poll-totally-off-topic-everything-media/)
-   -   What's the best NLE? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/totem-poll-totally-off-topic-everything-media/10127-whats-best-nle.html)

Glen Elliott May 26th, 2003 08:27 PM

What's the best NLE?

wish you could post surveys here
Anyway...what's the best NLE and why?

- Avid
- Final Cut Pro
- Premiere
- Vegas
- Pinnacle

Jeff Donald May 26th, 2003 08:33 PM

Please, search this topic. It has been covered many times and in very good detail. A DV Info buyers guide to NLE's is in the works. I am not trying to discourage your posting, but the information is very current.

People are quite passionate about their NLE's and there are too many variables to take into account (wedding, event editor has different needs than corporate or broadcast editor). All of these have been discussed also.

If you can find an aspect that has not been covered please post back with a new topic. Thanks for your cooperation.

Akos Szemenyei May 26th, 2003 09:18 PM

Jeff is right, people usually like what they like, I like FCP. I have tons of reasons to why, but a lot of it is subjective, as will all the rest of the answers be.

Edward Troxel May 26th, 2003 09:27 PM

My personal favorite is Vegas. It's easy to use, more flexible in many areas, and has the best audio features of ANY NLE. It's definitely the best bang for the buck.

Dylan Couper May 26th, 2003 10:37 PM

If you include the whole software package, Avid is probably the best.

However, my favorite is Vegas! Best bang for the buck, and then some.

Nigel Moore May 27th, 2003 07:23 AM

I'm not sure why you added Final Cut Pro to a list of choces in a forum entitled Non-linear Editing on the PC, but there you go. Yes, Mac users frequent this forum, and some PC editors also edit on the Mac, but it still seems bizarre.

Jeff, I think the post was more of a poll (along the lines of Mr Joseph's "Favourite...") rather than solicitation for guidance.

I only have experience of Premiere, which I like because it dovetails nicely with other Adobe apps. Word from NAB is that the new versions of Premiere and AE will work together seamlessly (but, then, how many times have I heard that one?)

As for Vegas, I'll have to defer to the views of its obviously enthusiastic users on the forum. That many people can't be on drugs...errr...wrong. But I've experienced two other Sonic products, and I'm not too excited about giving them any more of my money! :-)

Jeff Donald May 27th, 2003 08:22 AM

Quote:

Jeff, I think the post was more of a poll (along the lines of Mr Joseph's "Favourite...") rather than solicitation for guidance.
If you want a poll then let's move it to a more appropriate forum. I will caution everyone that I have a very low tolerance to flaming on this subject. People invest thousands of $$$ on their NLE's and supporting hardware and software. Respect the other users feelings and choice of equipment. Everyone has different needs and markets to compete in.

The thread will be locked at the first sign of inappropriate remarks.

Joe Carney May 27th, 2003 08:31 AM

What's the best NLE?
Based on this question being asked countless times, and based on countless answers....it's always different from the one you are currently using :).

Akos Szemenyei May 27th, 2003 08:51 AM

Oh, sorry, I usually use the "view new posts" link and didn't notice that it was NLE for PC.

Ok, hope it doesn't sound too "bizarre" eh.?. Nigel... lol

EDIT

The topic has moved? And my last post removed?

I guess you guys can disregard this then.?.

Alex Knappenberger May 27th, 2003 10:47 AM

I used to use Premiere, but then I tried Vegas one day, and it was sweet, much more easier, the timeline was setup so much better, so many more things that you could do with the audio, and the video... I've also tried Avid, and unless you can get used to its steep learning curve, theres no way i'd use that program.

Nigel Moore May 27th, 2003 11:59 AM

I saw no smoke, let alone flames. Perhaps I'm dumb.

But you're right, it is a subject that can easily degenerate into
"mine's better than yours!"
"why?"
"because it is!"

;-)

Kevin Nardelle May 30th, 2003 01:01 AM

Drugs?!!! - not here.

Nigel, why would you accuse or even make a comment like that, I resent it personally.. I tried many different NLEs and I am extremely pleased with Vegas. Vegas is a lot of bang for the buck and is capable of everything premiere and avid are...

The fact is though, they are all good - it depends on what you are doing, what you like. It is kinda like a truck vs a car - depends on what you need transportation for and what you are going to be doing. I think the big attraction to vegas is the timeline and easy editing with the addition of really good transitions and effects.

One of my favorite features is the audio editing abilities.

Vegas is not without it's problems though, I have had to reinstall it a couple times because I lost my ability to preview in capture and had the codecs rewrtien by something else. Very well may be the other software I installed or even a glitch on my machine but whatever it was, it's gone now.

Best of luck!

Dean Sensui May 31st, 2003 07:03 AM

Glen...

If you're going to use a Mac, then Final Cut is the way to go.

I personally use a Media 100 system, but that's what was available at the time. It provided most bang for the buck, and there was (is) a nice upgrade path.

But if I started off today, I'd go with FCP. It's got a long list of features and a great upgrade path. Start off with bare bones, using the Mac's built-in firewire port. Upgrade to 3rd party cards for serial digital or component I/O. Or, if necessary, to HD or film. Same software, same interface for all the various resolutions and frame rates. Just slightly different hardware (but with incredibly different prices!!!).

FCP is catching on with some serious producers ina wide range of mediums. From video to HD to film.

There are also some good seminars available in various parts of the country.

Dean Sensui
Base Two Productions

Richard Alvarez May 31st, 2003 07:09 AM

The turnkey retailer I bought my Avid system from DVLine, is currently hosting an "NLE shootout" all over the country. Since DVLINE builds NLEs with Avid, Vegas, and Canopus NLE's in them, they've gotten together the reps from each company to demo their products for you, and the "rebut" the other guys statements.

I bought my Avid after attending one of these last year. It's a really valuable experience to see them do their different things. Often, it comes down to a choice like... "We make better orange juice, they make better apple juice... which juice do you like".

Check out DVLine.com for the dates and locations of the tour near you... it's free to attend.

Nigel Moore May 31st, 2003 09:10 AM

Sense of humour?!!! - not here.

Quote:

Nigel, why would you accuse or even make a comment like that, I resent it personally
It was a joke, Kevin. See that smiley thing?

Get a grip!