DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/totem-poll-totally-off-topic-everything-media/)
-   -   Using a Mac *grinz* (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/totem-poll-totally-off-topic-everything-media/10598-using-mac-grinz.html)

Zac Stein June 8th, 2003 12:50 AM

Using a Mac *grinz*

Hey all,

Got something for you...

http://www.mindfreeproductions.com/test/mac.wmv

Play nice now... this is purely for entertainment and I nor anyone associated with me shares this persons views, at least out in public.

Zac

Ps. I had nothing to do with the production of it.

PPs. It seems ironically enough to have problems running on a mac unless you have the latest WM codecs installed.

Michael Wisniewski June 8th, 2003 02:44 AM

hah! thanks for the post, that was hilarious - whether you own a PC of Mac you can't help but sympathize with the guy ...

by the way it ran perfectly on Windows XP ;-p

K. Forman June 8th, 2003 04:49 AM

Thank you Zac, you made my morning! I know exactly how he feels, cause "Mac killed my inner child", too. That was so funny, I had to watch it a second time... I was laughing so hard, I didn't catch all of it the first time! Tears are still streaming down my face!

Zac Stein June 8th, 2003 04:52 AM

My fav part is still about the DOCK, it is so true it seems cruel.

Zac

Dylan Couper June 8th, 2003 09:50 AM

AAAAAAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAA!!

I'm sending this to all my Mac using friends!

Zac Stein June 8th, 2003 09:58 AM

Btw a true story mirrored in this little video sort of.

A kid at uni the other day in the same masters program as I, got so upset with one of the macs there, which incidently lost everything he had been working on including corrupting his entire external drive, he picked up a brand new g4 tower and threw down the hall, then pick it up again and rammed into a giant carbourd crusher...then turned it on while smoking a cig inside.

Lets just say we all cheered then promptly saw the police come and later on he retrieved his things never to return. Poor guy, he was so stressed out, he was on the brink of failing and being deported and i think it just got too much.

I think a mac killed his entire Australian future.

We should start a special group called, damn the mac! heh heh j/k. But the pc's in the editing labs seem a lot more in use now....

Zac

K. Forman June 8th, 2003 10:07 AM

During my Graphics course, we were instructed on Macs, which are supposed to be the industry standard. While creating a 60 second 3D animation, this G3 would take 6 hours to render a 10 second clip. 6 HOURS! Of course, 5 seconds from completing the render, the Mac would crash, losing everything. After a week of this, I only had a couple days to finish the assignment, with next to nothing to show for my time.

So, being the resourceful type, I took the stuff home, and finished the assignment in 2 days. After that, if I had anything important to do, I did it at home on the 2 year old piece of crap PC. It was more reliable than even the new G4s we were getting in.

Keith Loh June 8th, 2003 11:55 AM

Macs are certainly not the industry standard when it comes to 3D. Only recently were they able to get Maya on the Mac. Before that, what was there. Only Lightwave. Lightwave is good, mind you. But it's hard to call that platform the industry standard when it didn't have 3DS Max, Maya (before that Alias PowerAnimator) and Softimage. I started out doing 3D on the Mac using something called Infini-D. It was all right.

K. Forman June 8th, 2003 12:38 PM

Infini D is exactly what we used, and I still do. It isn't as heavy as Maya or Lightwave, but the curve is much easier to handle. It was used to do some movie work, and a few TV shows.

Keith Loh June 8th, 2003 03:34 PM

I haven't checked out Infini-D in a while, not since I stopped using Macs for work. You use the package that gets the job done. It's interesting how the higher end packages are coming out with lower end packages with more refined toolsets because they find that their bottom end is being taken out by the less-expensive products.

K. Forman June 8th, 2003 03:49 PM

It's like this Keith... I like Premiere, because it makes sense to me. I use Infini D for the same reason. They may be kind of bug ridden, but they do work. The learning curve is much easier, even though the end result isn't as good as the higher end software.

This does not mean that you can't achieve amazing results. It just means you have to learn to live with the occasional crash, and learn how to cheat :)

Brad Simmons June 24th, 2003 01:04 AM

HAHA that was great.

Timothy Eno June 24th, 2003 04:10 PM

To bad it is encoded with WMP 9. Macs cannot view the video, only plays audio. But it sound pretty funny. Maybe someone can encode with a different codec ( .MOV,.MPG ) so the mac users like myself can enjoy the authors creativity.

Brad Simmons June 24th, 2003 08:44 PM

kind of ironic that this clip doesn't work on a Mac.

I encoded it to quicktime

http://www.fusionarena.com/mac.mov

Timothy Eno June 25th, 2003 04:25 AM

Ironic yes, But very funny. Thanks for encoding it in a format that the Mac can see. The mighty blue Apple has allowed me to trick it into letting me post this reply.