DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/totem-poll-totally-off-topic-everything-media/)
-   -   burning divx and xvid files to dvd (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/totem-poll-totally-off-topic-everything-media/120089-burning-divx-xvid-files-dvd.html)

Brendan Donohue April 23rd, 2008 08:22 AM

burning divx and xvid files to dvd

not sure if this is the right forum, but, can anyone recommend some software that will burn xvid and divx files to dvd..I work on a mac and usually use toast, but I can't seem to burn these types of files with toast..thanks in advance!

Jonathan Jones April 23rd, 2008 10:56 AM

I haven't done this before, but I was under the impression that the divx files are supposed to be burned to CD-R discs using Toast's VCD mode.

-Jon

Jack Zhang April 23rd, 2008 04:19 PM

Is this to make a DVD-Video or a DVD-ROM with DivX and XviD files?

if it is a DVD-Video, install the DivX codec first and try again. If that doesn't work, the only other solution is Compressor (haven't tried, but might work)?

If it is a DVD-ROM to be read by a DivX compliant player, just burn the .avi or .divx files straight onto disc and pop it in the player.

Brendan Donohue April 24th, 2008 10:02 AM

thanks for the replies fellas!

okay, I guess I should restate my query now..I am trying to burn folders of Xvid and divX files onto dvd-Video..I'm trying to keep all the files on one dvd, I've gotten as far as dragging all the files into toast and getting my settings straight, but when I go to burn, it gives me a message saying that there is not enough room on the dvd: for example, it will say that the dvd is only 4.7 gb and it requires 6.0 gb to burn
HERE'S THE CATCH: the whole folder of Xvid files I'm trying to burn is only 2.89 gb, how does the size of the files expand to 6.0 gb when I go to burn..basically, I'm trying to avoid spreading the files over multiple dvds..I have all the codecs downloaded..what gives?

Jonathan Jones April 24th, 2008 10:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brendan Donohue (Post 866788)
HERE'S THE CATCH: the whole folder of Xvid files I'm trying to burn is only 2.89 gb, how does the size of the files expand to 6.0 gb when I go to burn.?

Although I am not sure of this, what it sounds like to me is that you are trying to burn the DVD using the "Video" setting on Toast to make the content playable in a standard DVD player. The process will involve a transcode of your content to the mpeg-2 format to conform to DVD video. This mpeg-2 transcode results in much larger file sizes than your xvid source content which is typically a much more highly compressed format generally intended to be distributed on a CD-R. Because of this more highly compressed source content, the transcode (or blowing up to a higher rez format) might also result in crappy looking footage.

What I think you should try doing is using the Video CD or Super Video CD format under the Video tab of Toast. I believe that these settings are generally used for burning data from xvid / divx source content onto CD-R discs. You will then need to ensure that the DVD player you intend to use will actually play such discs. Not all of them do.

-Jon

Brendan Donohue April 24th, 2008 10:29 AM

thanks for clarifying jonathan..that makes more sense now..I'm just unfamiliar with these codecs and I didn't know what was going on..I'll experiment with this later...thanx!!

Ervin Farkas April 24th, 2008 12:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jonathan Jones (Post 866805)
What I think you should try doing is using the Video CD or Super Video CD format under the Video tab of Toast. I believe that these settings are generally used for burning data from xvid / divx source content onto CD-R discs. -Jon

I'm afraid that's wrong information, sorry Jon.

Video CD and SVCD are MPEG1 formats, so trying to encode to VCD or SVCD will result in re-encoding the footage into the old, old MPEG1 compression (way inferior to DIVX).

What Brendan needs to do is burn a DATA DVD from the DIVX files organized in folders - this is basically a file transfer, no encoding at all. Adequate DVD players (my two Philips players will do this) will recognize the folder structure, you can navigate to the desired DIVX video with your remote control and play it.

Jonathan Jones April 24th, 2008 07:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ervin Farkas (Post 866920)

What Brendan needs to do is burn a DATA DVD from the DIVX files organized in folders - this is basically a file transfer, no encoding at all. Adequate DVD players (my two Philips players will do this) will recognize the folder structure, you can navigate to the desired DIVX video with your remote control and play it.

Ervin, thanks very much for clearing that up. As i noted, I had never done that before and wasn't sure about the outcome, but I'm glad you corrected me.

Okay, so now I have a question. In what type of device would one play back a Video CD or the SVCD. Would that just be usable in a computer with the right player, or can they be played in compatible set top players?

Thanks in advance.

-Jon

Ervin Farkas April 25th, 2008 05:04 AM

As far as I know, all DVD players play both VCD and SVCD disks.

Brendan Donohue April 25th, 2008 10:05 AM

okay, thanks Ervin...I'm going to try this as soon as I get home from work. I'm not sure that my dvd players are capable of playing the data dvds with the divX files on them though...One is a Panasonic and the other is a JVC and there both about 4 yrs old. They don't have a divX/Xvid logo or tag anywhere on them, should there be?? so I guess I just need to burn it off and test it out for myself. Thanks for all your help guys!

Ervin Farkas April 25th, 2008 10:14 AM

I'm afraid they won't play DIVX... in order to play DIVX video, a DVD player must be DIVX certified, needs to have the hardware codec.

Your only other option is to transcode the DIVX files to regular DVD and that should be no problem as long as you have the codec installed on your computer; your DVD authoring software should read the files and transcode them to MPEG2.

Jack Zhang April 25th, 2008 04:25 PM

From what I hear, you need to lower your bitrate to make it fit on a DVD-5 recordable. It also depends on the length of your video. The Filesize needs to be under 4.4GB