DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/totem-poll-totally-off-topic-everything-media/)
-   -   Seabiscuit (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/totem-poll-totally-off-topic-everything-media/12516-seabiscuit.html)

Mark Moore July 27th, 2003 07:45 PM

Seabiscuit

Saw SB tonight. Very good movie. No special effects, no guns, no big romance (ie: t & a) - just a very entertaining flick.

I had read where it took three weeks to get the horses acclimated to the cameras and trucks, as they were as close as a foot away from them during the race scenes.

Also saw the trailer for SECONDHAND LIONS with Michael Caine, Robert Duvall and Haley Joel Ozment. City boy HJO is sent to the 'boonies' to live with two elderly, eccentric uncles who shoot fish in a lake and fire shots at traveling salesmen. The story looked really good and Caine/Duvall (as well as HJO) appeared to be very entertaining!

Definitely want to see that one too!

Chris Hurd July 29th, 2003 03:38 PM

What Seabiscuit proves is that it's still quite easily possible to find wonderful, powerful story lines within our existing cultural history. The book is a superb work of excellent research and narrative storytelling. While Hollywood seems to reach for comic book heroes, the real ones with compelling entertainment value are lurking right beneath our noses in the non-fiction shelves of the local library. The most amazing thing about the Seabiscuit story is that it's all true.

Mark Moore July 29th, 2003 04:01 PM

I agree with you, Chris. There are probably hundreds of stories like that out there - that don't require computer generated gunfire, crashes or building being blown to bits.

I love that time period, as well as documentaries, historical dramas, etc., so I was very eager to see this movie, regardless! I may have cut it more slack because of that fact, but I feel it was really well made and a good entertaining film.

A friend of mine read the book also and found it very good (I may read it next). He said the movie was pretty close to accurate, with a few Hollywood liberties. He also said they left some stuff out (I'm not sure which details - accept that George "Ice Man" was diabetic), but I'm not sure you can cram an entire book in a two-hour movie!

I'm also anxious to see some "behind the scenes" stuff on the making of the movie.

Keith Loh July 29th, 2003 04:13 PM

Chris, you are absolutely correct. Every day I read stories in the online newspapers that would be awesome as films and not just for narrow audiences.

Rob Belics July 29th, 2003 04:43 PM

The woman who wrote the book also suffers from "chronic fatigue syndrome" and couldn't leave her home to interview the 100 people she talked to. Could barely get out of bed some days so did it all by phone.