DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/totem-poll-totally-off-topic-everything-media/)
-   -   Film Schools in Asian region (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/totem-poll-totally-off-topic-everything-media/129823-film-schools-asian-region.html)

Ali Jafri September 11th, 2008 02:43 AM

Film Schools in Asian region

Hi there. I've been wondering if anyone's heard of the International Academy of Film and Television (Asia's Premier Film School and Acting School - IAFT). Its situated in Cebu, Philippines, and supposed to have some link with Bigfoot Studios (Your Premier Film and TV Production Facility in Asia | Bigfoot Studios).

There are quite a number of film schools out there but what I'm looking for is more hands on experience rather than academic knowledge. Just want to be sure whether this place checks out fine and is not a scam.

Also, what other film schools offer good hands on experience that would build one's portfolio.

Some help would be much appreciated.

Brian Luce September 11th, 2008 08:22 AM

I know that place well. I was offered a teaching job there actually and took a class in Final Cut. It's financed by a German internet millionaire. The facility is first rate. They've got REDS now from what I've heard. Mostof the instructors are American. They also produce feature films and music.

Noel Lising September 11th, 2008 11:38 AM

My cousin studied there. He sent me one pic, hands-on with the Arri ( don't know which model though), I hear he is gainfully employed in one of the Production Houses there.

Brian Luce September 11th, 2008 02:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Noel Lising (Post 933083)
My cousin studied there. He sent me one pic, hands-on with the Arri ( don't know which model though), I hear he is gainfully employed in one of the Production Houses there.

I lived in Cebu for a long time, the film school is fine, although not cheap. However I'd caution anyone from expecting any kind of credible employment in Cebu after the fact. There is very little film production in Cebu and what little there is doesn't pay much. For example, full time sound engineers make $250 per month. Yes, per month. Video editors start at about $150 per month.

Ali Jafri September 12th, 2008 12:32 AM

IAFT sos

Thanks for the info Brian and Noel. Looks like this place checks out although I am concerned about the low wages offered for work. Still, I don't intend to move to Cebu permanently.

Brian, you mentioned that you were part of the faculty for a while there. Could you shed more light on the kind of hands-on experience I would be getting there. Since I already do have video production experience I am also looking to expand my horizons and build my networking and contacts in this field while gaining world-class hands on experience with the pros. I'm hoping I will be getting that from IAFT and not just academic knowledge from books which I might already be familiar with.

Also, would you tell me more on the living conditions in Cebu and on the IAFT campus. I am planning to go there with no real first-hand knowledge of the place and don't want any nasty surprises after I've landed and sold my soul to IAFT for the next two years! Anything in particular I should know about IAFT, Lapu-Lapu, Cebu?

I know I'm asking quite a lot of you, but at this stage anything would be helpful, and I shall be grateful for your help :)

Brian Luce September 12th, 2008 01:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ali Jafri (Post 933621)
Thanks for the info Brian and Noel. Looks like this place checks out although I am concerned about the low wages offered for work. Still, I don't intend to move to Cebu permanently.

Brian, you mentioned that you were part of the faculty for a while there. Could you shed more light on the kind of hands-on experience I would be getting there. Since I already do have video production experience I am also looking to expand my horizons and build my networking and contacts in this field while gaining world-class hands on experience with the pros. I'm hoping I will be getting that from IAFT and not just academic knowledge from books which I might already be familiar with.

Also, would you tell me more on the living conditions in Cebu and on the IAFT campus. I am planning to go there with no real first-hand knowledge of the place and don't want any nasty surprises after I've landed and sold my soul to IAFT for the next two years! Anything in particular I should know about IAFT, Lapu-Lapu, Cebu?

I was *offered* a job there, and I took a final cut pro class. Never taught there. The final cut class was all hands on. They had a nice lab with about 15 fcp workstations with monitors you could calibrate and mboxes. So there's plenty of opportunity for hands on. Networking? I dunno about that--some of the students are affluent CEbuanos who have always loved film and are attending for fun. The school has had issues in the past with getting enough students, the tuition fees pretty much put it out of sight for the average Filipino. Basically you can't expect the kind of networking opportunities you'd get from USC. And I'm not sure "World Class" would be accurate and fully descriptive--though you can learn there.

The facility is nice, I don't know about on campus housing, I'm sure it's on par with the rest of the facility though. There's is real money backing Big Foot. Their gear is all Arri, Sachtler, RED, Mac, good stuff.

Living in Cebu? Cost of living is about 20% of the USA. You can get a decent apartment for $200 a month or less even. You can get a massage for $3. Food is cheap. Transportation is cheap. But it's a developing country. There are kids begging on street corners and a lot of people trying to figure out how to get a bowl of rice for dinner. It's dirty, noisy, and corrupt. But there's a lot of energy, night life, hot chicks, and general decadence that can make living there interesting. It's relatively safe, very little violent crime just some petty stuff that spills over once in a while.

In the last few years there's been a huge influx of Koreans. They go there to study English, they've brought a lot of cash in to the economy and changed the face of the city though have fostered some resentment from locals in the same way they did in South LA in the early 90's. Here's a video I made in Cebu last month. You can see the good with the bad here: http://www.reelsense.net/QT/UWOL-X/W...ion_Video.html

Noel Lising September 12th, 2008 09:05 AM

Hi Brian,

I know where you are coming from, but $ 250 a month is a decent pay if you convert it to pesos. I know Editors get a base salary & get's paid TF (Technical Fees) on top of that.

There isn't a lot of production houses in Cebu but Manila should be a different story. On a side note, some editors build enough experience and goes to Singapore for a high paying gig.

Brian I don't know how long you have stayed in Cebu, I use to work for a Company called DSL TVS, don't know if you have dealt with them in the past.

Cheers,

Noel

Brian Luce September 12th, 2008 10:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Noel Lising (Post 933764)

Brian I don't know how long you have stayed in Cebu, I use to work for a Company called DSL TVS, don't know if you have dealt with them in the past.

Noel

$250 is actually a great salary by Cebu standards. That's about what people make in call centers (Cebu is now #4 in the world). $250 will attract the best and brightest young people in Cebu.
I know DSL real well, we used to rent Betacams from them and that is the only place I know of in Cebu with a Umatic deck that works. You should see it, thing looks like it's been through World War 3.

Noel Lising September 12th, 2008 11:32 AM

I know DSL real well, we used to rent Betacams from them and that is the only place I know of in Cebu with a Umatic deck that works. You should see it, thing looks like it's been through World War 3.[/QUOTE]

LOL. I think those U-matics still have some DNA samples of me. Before the idea of building road cases hit the Philippines, the decks has been sent out as it is. Given the poor road conditions and superb driving skills back there, I am suprised the U-matic lasted that long. Good times.

Cheers,

Noel

Ali Jafri September 16th, 2008 03:20 AM

Guys, if I asked you what the standing of IAFT in the international market is, what could you tell me? If suppose I went to LA and said I've done a 2-year course from Cebu would they even take me seriously? Just asking...

Brian Luce September 16th, 2008 03:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ali Jafri (Post 935372)
Guys, if I asked you what the standing of IAFT in the international market is, what could you tell me? If suppose I went to LA and said I've done a 2-year course from Cebu would they even take me seriously? Just asking...

99% chance that the people in LA would reply with "Huh?"

They'll take you seriously if you're sharp, know your stuff, and hustle and have a great attitude.