DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/totem-poll-totally-off-topic-everything-media/)
-   -   When do you sleep? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/totem-poll-totally-off-topic-everything-media/13000-when-do-you-sleep.html)

Don Bloom August 8th, 2003 05:47 AM

When do you sleep?

OK, I realize this is a worldwide forum and the posting times are consistent with the time zones around the world, BUT, good G*d folks, doesn't anyone here ever go to sleep?
Frank, I know in Canada the time zones are the same as the U.S. and I see posts from you at 4AM, is that your time, or what time?
Ken Tanaka, I know what time it is in Chicago, I see your posts from early AM or is it late PM, and Alex K., 15 and up at 2 AM?

I know I'm an early AM guy but not 2AM.

I'm just amazed at all the late night or is it early AM folks that are here from Canada and the US. I understand other countries because of time zones but guys, get some sleep!

Couldn't help but to post this, I've been watching the times for a long time and always wondered. HEH, keep posting anytime folks, this is still one of the best places for good solid info and conversation. :-))

Well, I'm going back to bed it's way too early. ;)))))
Don

John Locke August 8th, 2003 07:19 AM

Sleep?

Don Bloom August 8th, 2003 07:51 AM

Yeah but John, you're on the other side so you don't get to sleep, only quick naps and once in a while checking your eyelids for holes ;)
Don

Imran Zaidi August 8th, 2003 09:43 AM

Myself I admit that I suffer from DVInfo.Net-itis. Day or night, I find that when I get online, the first site I'm always drawn to before I go elsewhere is this one. And I go straight for the wonderful 'View New Posts' link.

I can't shake it. Somebody help me.

Well, at least the first step is admitting you have a problem, so I'm half way there...

Keith Loh August 8th, 2003 10:28 AM

My awake hours are 7:20am to 2am.

Mike Rehmus August 8th, 2003 10:52 AM

But you fly during the other hours, right? -:))))

John Locke August 8th, 2003 11:22 AM

Keith,

I thought I noticed you online at 7:19 a.m. the other day...what's up with that?

Frank Granovski August 8th, 2003 04:14 PM

"Frank...and I see posts from you at 4AM, is that your time, or what time?"

I'm on the west coast, PST, when it's 4AM in Toronto, it's 1AM in Vancouver. I usually hit the sack at 2AM, and roll over about 9AM, sometimes earier like about 7---depending on what I have to do. Oh, and right now, it's 3:20PM, so in TO it would be 6:20 PM.

Keith Loh August 8th, 2003 04:34 PM

I have to get to work by 8:20am. The earliest I've been awake is for the Lady X shoot. I was up at 5:30am.

Don Bloom August 8th, 2003 04:43 PM

Frank,
Now I'm really confused. East West North South, I can't remember all that stuff anymore. When Mickeys big hand is on the 12....

I guess I'll just say you're all nightowls and leave it go at that.

I'm going to bed ;-)
Don

Frank Granovski August 8th, 2003 05:11 PM

Here, this'll help:

http://www.hilink.com.au/times/

Don Bloom August 8th, 2003 05:23 PM

Frank, what continent did you say you were on?

Alex, I know you're young but good lord, get out of the house, cut the grass, make some video, go to bed before 5AM or you might end up being a professional videographer and you've heard about them ;)

I'm going back to bed)))))))

Frank Granovski August 8th, 2003 05:33 PM

North America, I think. But in the wee hours I'm not sure.

Brian Wood August 8th, 2003 06:42 PM

Unfortunality due to 9:20 chiropractor appts (i'm only 17 and already my backs screwed up) I have had to keep close to my normal school sleep rotation, which i guess is a plus cause when I go back in only 2 and half weeks it will be easy.

And I too have this forum as my homepage which I find to be terriable cause everytime I get on the internt to do something, I first feel compeled to check out the new posts...I can't not come to this site without seeing whats up. Oh well i guess its a sign of the fact video is and will always remain my whole life

Brian

Mike Rehmus August 8th, 2003 06:44 PM

I'd post tomorrow at 5 AM but I'll be out taping a 10K race.

Matt Betea August 8th, 2003 08:31 PM

Depending on if I'm working on something I want to get done quick. I'll change sleeping habits and sleep every other night for about 6 hours. It's not too bad sometimes.

Mike Rehmus August 8th, 2003 09:22 PM

I was taught to slip into a meditative state by a guy who trains olympic athletes. He claimed that one could substitute several hours of this for a nights sleep. Beats me. I find that I can meditate asleep just fine. Can't run a race worth a darn anymore though.

Imran Zaidi August 8th, 2003 09:29 PM

Well this confirms it. We're all freaks. Glad to have company!

Chris Hurd August 8th, 2003 11:03 PM

Please to explain "sleep."

Heath McKnight August 8th, 2003 11:26 PM

Because I'm not in college (yeah, I go to college, work fulltime, do movies and freelance...no life is the secret) this summer, I'm in bed by 3 am or so. I get home by 11 PM from work, or so, I watch a little TV and (lately) get to work on my DVD for my film. Re-mastering right now! By around 2 AM, I go to my apartment's gym and work out for an hour. This is 3 -5 nights a week. Back home and surf the net or continue on the DVD (or re-writing my next film, 9:04 AM) and in bed by 3:30 - 5 am, usually 4 am.

Then up by 10 am to 12 PM (the other day, when I was doing live video at Lollapaloser, I slept 10 hours, WOW!) and surf the net, waste time working with my web guy on the web site(s) and then in the shower and off to work. Work is where I relax.

When school starts up, esp. math (ugh), I'll be in bed by 2 am and up, most days, by 8 or 9 am. Saturdays are my only days off, all the time. Sundays I work on movie stuff or freelance stuff.

heatho

Heath McKnight August 8th, 2003 11:28 PM

<<<-- Originally posted by Heath McKnight : Because I'm not in college (yeah, I go to college, work fulltime, do movies and freelance...no life is the secret) this summer, I'm in bed by 3 am or so. I get home by 11 PM from work, or so, I watch a little TV and (lately) get to work on my DVD for my film. Re-mastering right now! By around 2 AM, I go to my apartment's gym and work out for an hour. This is 3 -5 nights a week. Back home and surf the net or continue on the DVD (or re-writing my next film, 9:04 AM) and in bed by 3:30 - 5 am, usually 4 am.

Then up by 10 am to 12 PM (the other day, when I was doing live video at Lollapaloser, I slept 10 hours, WOW!) and surf the net, waste time working with my web guy on the web site(s) and then in the shower and off to work. Work is where I relax.

I try to get 8 hours regardless, unless major stuff is happening, then 4 - 6. I also try to do things like a bank, after reading a ton of studies about this when it comes to sleep. If I get 7 hours tonight, I TRY (and usually fail) to get 9 hours the next night. To even it out. If I sleep 10 hours (by accident), I usually sleep A LOT less the next night. And this is better than when I worked overnights and could barely get used to those hours. I'd wake up at 1 pm or so, thinking, I should be awake right now...

When school starts up, esp. math (ugh), I'll be in bed by 2 am and up, most days, by 8 or 9 am. Saturdays are my only days off, all the time. Sundays I work on movie stuff or freelance stuff.

heatho -->>>

Ken Tanaka August 8th, 2003 11:53 PM

Don,
That is interesting, isn't it? I've always been a night person. Retirement has enabled me to get plenty of sleep...on my terms. My normal bed time is in the wee hours of the morning (although while it's still dark). If you see me posting at, say, 8:00 something is either wrong or I've had to temporarily adapt to the morning peoples' day.

Dylan Couper August 9th, 2003 12:31 AM

I sleep when I'm too tired to keep editing, and I get up when I have to start schlepping gear to a shoot. Sometimes in between I watch The Simpsons.

Aaron Rosen August 9th, 2003 01:19 AM

It has something to do with the computer.

Anything computer related, and ESPECIALLY WEB related will keep you up.

Remember Neo?

Yeah.

Down the rabbit hole we go.....

Frank Granovski August 9th, 2003 02:22 AM

Okay, now for a test. It's 1:27 a.m. Let's see what comes up when I press the submit button.

Frank Granovski August 9th, 2003 02:26 AM

Seems to work, though my watch may be 5 min fast. Thanks! Now I'd better adjust it.

Just to stay on topic, I'd rather have a MX5000 today than spend a year's salary on something that'll be obsolete tomorrow. Info here:

http://www.dvfreak.com/pana_mx5.htm

Don Bloom August 9th, 2003 06:10 AM

Goooooooooood Morning DVinfonet!!!!!

Well, I've been reading these posts with great interest and have come to the conclusion that I am the real freak here. I'm a morning person, wake up around 4-5AM, bed around 11pm unless I"m working or like last night sick! I caught my annual summer cold on Thursday and have been drugging out since to try to kill it off. I have 2 weddings this weekend (unusual as I try to only do 1 a weekend-I'm too beat up after 1) and right now I'm on so much cold stuff I don't know if I'm still sick or just don't care if I am.
Anyway back to the case in point, I have always been an early AM kind of person even now, I edit early do the other business related stuff during the day and then continue the edits later in the afternoon, rarely at night unless I'm on a really tight deadline. I suppose it goes back to my days in the ARMY even though that was...My G*d, in the 60's! WOW!
Anyway, it's been enjoyable to see when everyone works and when they don't and why they post when they do. I"m going to finish my rounds thru the forums and go back to sleep for a couple of hours so I don't fall over at the function tonight.
Best to All,
Don

Alex Knappenberger August 9th, 2003 06:21 AM

Yikes. It appears someone slipped up and hit the delete button on my post in this thread. I used my all mighty developed judgement skills, and it was completely on topic and time was put into it. I guess I'll type it over. :D

Yup. Like I said. Right now its 8:16AM, and I haven't slept. I wish I could of went to sleep many many hours ago, when I was trying, but thats no use. Getting up at 4PM isn't fun. On top of this I have to go to my uncles in about 4 hours for some kind of party they are having. I get lots of sleep when I do pass out though, for the past month i've been passing out at like 4-6AM in the morning and waking up at like 4PM, so I get plenty of sleep...heh, not exactly at the right time though

If school was in, I wouldn't be getting much sleep. When I have school, I still usually don't go to bed until about 3-4AM (I watch Leno and then Conan), and then I have to wake up at 7AM to go to school, atleast thats how it was for the most of last school year. Not good.

I'd love to go to bed at like 11PM and wake up at 4-5AM. That would be great. I have some sleeping disorder or something, heh. Maybe I should look into getting some of them pills...

Whenever I edit something though, or work on anything on the computer for that matter, more times then not it's in the middle of the night, thats when I can concenrate the most, I guess. Heh

Good night.

Imran Zaidi August 9th, 2003 01:28 PM

Stay away from sleep pills! Alex, it's part of being young - having a weird sleep schedule. If I had a buck for every sunrise I ushered in during high school and college, I'd have a CineAlta by now.

Enjoy having a sleep schedule on your own terms while you still can! Late nights are the most productive - after all, when everyone is asleep they can't interrupt you.