DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/totem-poll-totally-off-topic-everything-media/)
-   -   Mtv VMA Film Look (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/totem-poll-totally-off-topic-everything-media/13858-mtv-vma-film-look.html)

Humby Valdes August 28th, 2003 06:41 PM

Mtv VMA Film Look

Does anyone know how MTV is making the VMA look like film?

The event is live so...?

Alex Knappenberger August 28th, 2003 07:28 PM

Film? It's just like the other ones. 24P HD. Looks like choppy video to me, makes me want to barf.

Humby Valdes August 28th, 2003 08:01 PM

Is it? It looks good to me... so good that it resembles the musical concert specials they have every now and then on PBS.

Heath McKnight August 28th, 2003 08:47 PM

They did the same thing two or three years ago; I thought it was some effect. I was actually going to ask about it. Going from 24p to our TVs (60i, right?) makes it look like sh!t.

heath

ps-I've always hated awards shows, esp. this one. Everyone at my TV station is watching it like religion right now. Ugh.

pss-Sign up for my DVD contest, wink wink!

Gary Chavez August 29th, 2003 08:44 AM

i have to agree with the others that dont like the effect.
it is distracting, which is still a bad thing right?

Humby Valdes August 29th, 2003 09:43 AM

Are we talking about the same thing?

I'm not talking about past VMA ('01 '02) or that Mtv2 look.

If ya didn't see it maybe you can catch a rerun and see what I mean, the 2003 one looked good! So good that it was 90% of the reason I watched it.

Joe Gioielli August 29th, 2003 08:28 PM

VMA Look

I saw it too and had the same question. I do know what you mean that some of it looked good. There were moments that the colors looked nice and rich, but those moments, for me, were fleeting. On the whole, it looked choppy.

I asked some friends, who are not in the biz and know nothing about video, thought it looked funky.

There was something good in there, though.

T. Patrick Murray August 29th, 2003 09:26 PM

I asked this question on another thread-

I THINK IT LOOKED INCREDIBLE.

I want to know what CAMERAS were used.

PLEASE SOMEONE TELL ME!

Varicam?

I disagree that it looked bad or choppy. That's the future, and it looks
like 16mm film.

T. Patrick Murray

Matt Stahley August 29th, 2003 10:32 PM

I still cant decide if I liked the look or not. I 'm leaning towards not. IMO it was a horroribly produced show with some really bad performances and way to many commercial breaks but i guess they gotta pay those bills.

Charles Papert August 29th, 2003 10:44 PM

Last year they used Sony Cinealtas here's the thread from last year, and downcoverted live. I imagine they did the same this year. I think a lot of the look came through processing that was done to the overall feed, after the camera switching.