DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/totem-poll-totally-off-topic-everything-media/)
-   -   SOC -vs- ASC (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/totem-poll-totally-off-topic-everything-media/14895-soc-vs-asc.html)

Ken Tanaka September 23rd, 2003 03:53 PM

SOC -vs- ASC

I've long wondered what the differences are between the Society of Camera Operators (SOC) and the American Society of Cinematographers (ASC). One is more television-oriented and the other film? Is one more prestigious? Different dues and benefits?

Anyone know?

Charles Papert September 23rd, 2003 06:38 PM

C'mon Ken, you're baiting me! "Anyone know?"...like you haven't seen the letters after my name!

The ASC is a venerable, invitation-only guild for cinematographers, whereas the SOC is oriented around operators and easier to get into (you do need a referral, but not hard to get). The ASC is much more prestigious. I joined the SOC primarily to network when I moved to LA, and there is a good charity attached (we raise funds for sight-impaired children).

The benefit of being in the ASC is that you get higher rates, basically!

Robert Knecht Schmidt September 23rd, 2003 07:20 PM

Is there any particular accomplishment that tends to trigger ASC invitation, or is it more having to know somebody?

The ASC has one other perq that I know of. You get to look at the cool pictures of early 1900s Hollywood in the ASC house anytime you want.

Charles Papert September 23rd, 2003 08:20 PM

I believe that you have to have shot something like three studio pictures before you can be drummed in, and you need three signatures from ASC members. Or, there are honorary memberships bestowed upon certain individuals (equipment manufacturers, astronauts, that sort of thing)

Rob Belics September 23rd, 2003 09:00 PM

I'm a space cadet!

Ken Tanaka September 23rd, 2003 09:07 PM

Aww, yeah, I was hoping you'd respond, Charles. <g>

Thank you for commenting. It adds a new dimension to understanding the SOC and ASC designations.

Gee, anybody want to know the difference between a CFA and a CFP in the financial industry?

Rob Lohman October 5th, 2003 04:56 PM

Well, Charles, you've shot way more then three big studio
productions so that's no problem. Now how are we going to
get three signatures from ASC members... Hmmmm

An instant story idea popped into my head about maffia,
strip clubs and three ASC members....

Charles Papert October 5th, 2003 06:08 PM

hee hee!

Actually, Rob, strictly speaking I haven't shot any studio pictures. It's misleading, but use of the vernacular that seems casual is actually rather specific..."shot" means acted as the DP, not as the operator, in the same way that "cameraman" refers only to the DP. It's sort of Old Hollywood terminology. My DP credits are limited to 2nd unit or additional photography on studio pictures.

Rob Lohman October 5th, 2003 06:42 PM

Gotta give it to 'em... Even they mix up the words with the
meanings! <g>

Well, the title doesn't matter anyway. We've seen the work
and that's what counts!

Christopher Hughes October 6th, 2003 03:40 PM

I'd rather have BSC after my name than ASC....lol and not to be confused with BSE as in the Human form of Mad Cows desease....hahaha!

Charles Papert October 6th, 2003 05:26 PM

Better yet, to be in the company of luminaries like Roger Deakins and be both BSC and ASC!