DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/totem-poll-totally-off-topic-everything-media/)
-   -   Holiday Wish List (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/totem-poll-totally-off-topic-everything-media/17505-holiday-wish-list.html)

Christopher Go November 24th, 2003 12:23 AM

Holiday Wish List

What with the holidays approaching, I thought I'd go ahead and post a wish list here, especially since the big guy up north must be on the Internet by now, or in the off chance any good friends and/or family members visit this forum and need help deciding what to, um, suprise me with. Here's what I'd like this year:

1) For Century Optics to hurry up and release their 16:9 lens for the AG-DVX100

2) A matte box that can accomodate that lens

3) A Panasonic AG-DVX100A?

4) To avoid getting anything that is a candidate for the Hall of Shame thread posted earlier.

5) and, of course, world peace

What do you want this year for Christmas, Chanukkah, New Years, etc? Feel free to have your family and friends "accidentally" discover this thread if they are in need of a serious hint.

John Locke November 24th, 2003 12:31 AM

Didn't we just do one of these holiday "wish lists"? Has it been a year already?

Fred Garhart November 24th, 2003 02:23 AM

I want a siler coloured professional video tripod for my new Panasonic PV-DV953. Have a great day!

Rob Lohman November 24th, 2003 02:06 PM

I'd be happy with an internship position at a large movie
production! ... sweet

Steve Luhr November 24th, 2003 03:32 PM

A MiniDV tape player so I don't have to use the camera, a bigger computer (hard drive), and a "real" fisheye not the $100 one I have now.
Right on.

J. Clayton Stansberry November 24th, 2003 03:46 PM

Santa,

Please grant me the ability to understand all of the information presented in every single post that has ever been made here at dvinfo. Thank you Santa.

I have been a good boy this year, sort of.
Clay

Dylan Couper November 24th, 2003 09:22 PM

Peace on earth. Goodwill to mankind.
I don't need much else. Some new socks would be OK though.

Don Berube November 24th, 2003 09:23 PM

All I want is a Pug puppy.

And, some new socks for Dylan please.

- don

Gary Chavez November 25th, 2003 03:27 PM

Just found out I'm getting everything on my wish list!!!!

Century wide eye w/adapter for my Canon J17

new Medea 5x320 RAID to go with the current one.

new Chimera and associated hardware,

new run bags,

Sunnhieser ME-66 shotgun mic and hardware

Ikei 14" TM14-17RZ monitor for the edit system

Im not bragging, just sharing.
how cool is my work?

Christopher C. Murphy November 25th, 2003 03:41 PM

I want HD10U footage to edit in Final Cut Pro!!!!

David James December 4th, 2003 09:10 PM

Well I have good health, my most treasured gift, along with the love of my family so I am blessed beyond belief but.............

I would like to put a duel G5 on my wish list with the new wide lcd monitor.

FCP to "entertain my brain"

Master my new dv953 (yes I am green in the video arena)

Have enough "moolah" to buy the AG-DVX100A when available.

P.S. I may be talking Holiday Wish List 2006 hehehehe

Happy Holidays all from the Mo. Ozarks

Dan Brown December 5th, 2003 08:25 AM

A Panny ag-DVC80a before I 'have' to buy my camera, a Shure FP33 knock-off for under $200, and a natural ability to do story-board drawings.

Don Berube December 5th, 2003 07:02 PM

I still just want a Pug puppy.

- don

Christopher Go December 8th, 2003 08:36 PM

Well, I know my girlfriend is getting something. I just purchased a ring for her - no, not that kind of ring yet - that set me back $1300. Oh well. Even if I can't get the matte box just yet, I'm very happy that I can share the holidays with her.

Don, are you really getting a pug puppy this year?

Don Berube December 8th, 2003 08:52 PM

Iv'e changed my mind. I want Lady X for Christmas.

- don

Dan Brown December 8th, 2003 09:31 PM

<<<-- Originally posted by Don Berube : Iv'e changed my mind. I want Lady X for Christmas.

- don -->>>

Wasn't she drowned in the last episode?

Rob Lohman December 10th, 2003 05:48 PM

Which X would that be, Don? <g>

Dylan Couper December 18th, 2003 06:44 PM

<<<-- Originally posted by Dylan Couper : Peace on earth. Goodwill to mankind.
I don't need much else. Some new socks would be OK though. -->>>

I changed my mind. I want a video projector and 8' screen for Christmas, and a Canon 10d, and a bottle or two of a really nice single malt Scotch. Screw Peace on Earth and Goodwill to Man...

Christopher Go December 18th, 2003 09:34 PM

Hey, I actually just got a digital projector. I've already put 13 hours on it watching some movies. You have to see Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers on it. Incredible!

I think you guys changed your minds and what happened was I got your holiday list by accident, Dylan.

I'll be posting pictures soon in the digital projector thread.

J. Clayton Stansberry December 18th, 2003 10:12 PM

Dylan, I second the bottles of single malt...originally I stated I wanted to understand everything on this forum, but with Scotch, I can fool myself into believing I understand everything here, and it will take less time! I'll take some Glen Livet, please!

Frank Granovski December 19th, 2003 03:41 AM

What I need is a new monitor. It died this evening and straight it went into the trash bin. Luckily, I had an old 14 incher in my closet; a no-name called, "PC Partner." So I'll be looking for something after Boxing Day.

Bill Pryor December 20th, 2003 07:29 PM

I want this stupid flu to go away; seems as if I've had it for a year. And I want Carrie Anne Moss, but figure I have a better chance of getting a 1/3" chip camera from Sony that has real 16:9 chops and shoots 30p. Since I most likely won't be getting any of the above, I guess I'll have to be satisfied with having Frank tell me what Boxing Day is really all about.

Frank Granovski December 20th, 2003 09:33 PM

What's even better than the sales on Boxing Day is when everyone dumps last year's electronics in the lanes, because of the new stuff. One can never have too many free VCRs handy for duplication. Thanks, Santa! :-))

Don Berube December 20th, 2003 11:00 PM

I could go on and on about wanting this and that for Christmas, but I know I am extremely fortunate this year, as I get to spend yet another Christmas with my father, who is now 96 years old. That's all that matters to me :o)

Frank, if I am not mistaken, Boxing Day is the day after Christmas right?

- don

P.S.: I should clarify that I still want Lady X for Christmas...

Frank Granovski December 21st, 2003 02:04 AM

Yes, it's the day after Christmas.

J. Clayton Stansberry December 21st, 2003 02:28 AM

Don,

That's awesome about your Dad! Tell us if you get the puppy...but, hey if you get a puppy on Boxing Day, wouldn't you want it to be a Boxer!!!! Well, if not, your pug will do for footage....I know my dog is my best subject! ...hey Santa, what's up with the Scotch? I'm waiting!

Clay

Bill Pryor December 21st, 2003 01:56 PM

So why do they call it Boxing Day?

Frank Granovski December 21st, 2003 02:31 PM

I faintly recall something to do about boxes, and giving Christmas presents to poor people. I'll have to do a google search to refresh my memory, or perhaps put in more RAM.

Frank Granovski December 21st, 2003 02:57 PM

Here's a link:

http://www.holidayinsights.com/xmas/religious.htm

Bill Pryor December 21st, 2003 06:45 PM

Cool. That's a good thing, and has deep roots, it seems.

Frank Granovski December 21st, 2003 07:25 PM

Makes you kinda wish you were a Canadian, right, Bill? :-))

Dylan Couper December 21st, 2003 08:18 PM

(ignant Canook question)

You do have Boxing Day in the US, don't you??

Ken Tanaka December 21st, 2003 08:29 PM

No, not unless Tyson puts gloves on.

Boxing Day derives from a British tradition. We broke away from them years ago.

Dylan Couper December 21st, 2003 11:37 PM

Huh... I never realized that.
I feel bad that y'all don't have the glorious tradition of getting up at 6am the morning after Christmas, to stand in line for two hours just to buy a DVD player for $20, or get 15% off big screen TV's.

Ken Tanaka December 22nd, 2003 12:01 AM

The day after Thanksgiving is our Mob Rule Mall Day, although the day after Christmas is beginning to rival that.

Many years ago we were celebrating New Year's Eve at a formal dinner at the Banff Springs Hotel. We were seated with a congennial British couple who, at the brief mention of Boxing Day, proceeded to deliver an elaborate treatise on its history and contemporary practice in the U.K. Unfortunately, I must confess to having drifted while smiling and nodding. Perhaps the blood flow to my brain was becoming restricted from the collar and bow tie. So I sadly remember relatively little of the presentation.

Frank Granovski December 22nd, 2003 12:26 AM

I hear ya. I usually take a nap during this kinds of presentations. I love Banff, by the way.

Bill Pryor December 22nd, 2003 08:31 AM

Nope, no Boxing Day here. The day after Christmas is when everybody gets up early in the morning, packs up the stuff relatives sent them, and rushes to Best Buy to stand in line for hours to exchange the items.

We do have some nice thoughts happening, however. Between Thanksgiving (that is the U.S. holiday that celebrates how the natives saved our forefathers' butts only to be trounced by them in later years) and Christmas, the food pantry places collect a lot of food for the homeless and needy, and most people seem to contribute food or money to that. The rest of the year, we let the rabble starve.

Pardon my cynicims--all it takes is one trip to the mall to make me want to spend Christmas in the Tortugas.

Adrian Douglas December 22nd, 2003 09:27 AM

Ha! Here in Japan Christmas is pretty much a non-event let alone Boxing Day.

As I'll be shooting Christmas Day I'd like clear blue skies, not too cold, good coffee, and no serious hassles. I know the last is stretching it as I'm a foreigner in Japan but hey never hurts to ask.

Bill Pryor December 22nd, 2003 09:33 AM

I always equate Japan with good tea, not good coffee. I guess things are changing.

Adrian Douglas December 22nd, 2003 07:32 PM

Yeah Bill the tea is very good, but when shooting I prefer good coffee. Recently there has been a coffee shop explosion here in Japan especially Tokyo. The last few years has seen Starbucks, Tulley's, Doutor, Excelsiour, and a few other chain shops open up on just about every corner. While these shops encapsulate the corporate greed that is rampant here you can't deny that with that many you should be able to find at least one good coffee.