DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/totem-poll-totally-off-topic-everything-media/)
-   -   do ya think robert rodriquez would enjoy this site? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/totem-poll-totally-off-topic-everything-media/33860-do-ya-think-robert-rodriquez-would-enjoy-site.html)

Yi Fong Yu October 22nd, 2004 09:57 PM

do ya think robert rodriquez would enjoy this site?

if he ain't a DVI member already under a pseudo-name?

Josh Bass October 23rd, 2004 07:54 AM

Until he saw the thread with all the "Once Upon a Time in Mexico"-bashing, and people saying how he should stop being an auteur and find a focus (writing/directing vs. doing absolutely everything). Then he'd be very, very mad.

Yi Fong Yu October 23rd, 2004 09:29 AM

lol

John Hudson October 23rd, 2004 11:19 AM

My take on RR is:

I am not a big fan of his work. He has yet to do anything that, as a film junkie, makes me go "OMG!". There is nothing in fact that he has done that I consider kick arse. I like the $7000 El Mariachi for what it stands for (The indie filmmaker doing it on his own), I liked Four Rooms but his episode "The Misbehavers" was my least favorite of the FOUR (although Antonio is brillliant), Once Upon a Time in Mexico is an okay film but Johnny Depp is the reason I even remotely enjoyed it. From Dusk TIll Dawn is a fun vampire flick but it's Tarantino's scriptage that makes it cool. Once the vamps arrive it kind of loses steam.

The rest of his body of work; Deperado, The Faculty and Spy Kids is pretty uninspiring in terms of filmmaking. The yet to be released SIN CITY looks 'interesting' but too gimicky to be taken that serious and even so, it's Frank Millers vision and creation.

I do love his enthusiasm and his support of the wannabe filmmakers. That part I like about him; that he seems concerned with the hordes of dreaming filmmakers and constantly offers his 10 Minute Film Schools and tours of TM Studios. I wish more Directors would take this approach.

There are other filmmakers that either got it right the first time or by their softmore that have opened my eyes such as Fincher (Se7en), Alejandro González Iñárritu (Amorres Perros and 21 Grams), Sofia Coppola (The Virgin Suicides and Lost in Translation), Danny Boyle (Shallow Grave, Trainspotting and the epicness that is 28 Days Later), M KNIGHT (The Sixth Sense to Signs) and even the recent Zack Snyder's Dawn of the Dead 04.

My point is, RR has done 9 films and not one of them has made me go "OMG!".

Thats my 2 cents. But I do think he would like it here if he could take the heat!. :P

Chris Hurd October 24th, 2004 10:57 PM

No matter what you think of Robert Rodriguez and his body of work up to now, you can't deny that he went from broke college student to successful director on the fast track, and he is now living a life that some people here only dream about. You can't deny his success. I think he's far too busy to be reading message boards, by the way.

Aaron Koolen October 25th, 2004 01:45 PM

Yes and regardless of what people think of his films, without knowing him personally it seems he's doing what he loves, so hey, nothing else matters to him!

Aaron

John Hudson October 25th, 2004 02:39 PM

<<<-- Originally posted by Chris Hurd : No matter what you think of Robert Rodriguez and his body of work up to now, you can't deny that he went from broke college student to successful director on the fast track, and he is now living a life that some people here only dream about. You can't deny his success. I think he's far too busy to be reading message boards, by the way. -->>>

Completely agree! Like his films or not, props to him!