DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/totem-poll-totally-off-topic-everything-media/)
-   -   Printer? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/totem-poll-totally-off-topic-everything-media/34018-printer.html)

Marco Leavitt October 26th, 2004 11:57 AM

Printer?

This may seem like a strange question for a video forum, but I need a printer that will primarily be used to print scripts. Lots and lots of scripts, so I thought I would ask if anybody has any recommendations.

I'm looking for a laser printer (no interest in color at all) that has a large paper tray and can really hold up to the abuse I'm going to give it. Kinko's is a pain. It should also use inexpensive, readily available toner cartridges.

I've tried talking to the sales people at OfficeMax and they appear to know absolutely nothing. I'm especially worried about buying something that will be difficult to repair and requires expensive, proprietary cartridges.

I'd rather not spend more than $400, but would if I have to. This thing needs to be hardy.

Rob Henegar October 26th, 2004 02:15 PM

Hi Marco,

You're going to want a business printer instead of a consumer printer. Stay away from the OfficeMax's of the world if you're looking for something that's going to be used like you're suggesting.

The HP is one of the best, but my money is on the Lexmark Optra S series (I have the Optra S 1650). The Lexmark is basically the same printer as the HP, just with a different manufacturer name and a lower cost.

You can get them with a normal feed tray or with a high capacity feed tray that can hold - i believe - 2 reams of paper.

The printer is pretty fast (16 ppm) and the toner carts basically last forever. The printer will run you between $350-$400 (prices I got looking on nextag.com), and the toner will be around $100, but again, it lasts a LONG time (roughly 17,000 pages) - even with heavy printing. Parts are readily available, but you'll probably never need them, since these things are workhorses.

Good luck!
--R

Keith Loh October 26th, 2004 02:22 PM

Bump. I also want to know if anyone has good suggestions.

Marco Leavitt October 26th, 2004 02:36 PM

Excellent. Just the information I was looking for. Thanks.

Rob Lohman October 31st, 2004 07:16 AM

I agree with Rob to go with a business laser printer. They aren't
that expensive anymore and are designed for much printing and
have parts available and such.

Yi Fong Yu October 31st, 2004 04:31 PM

hp makes the best laser printers. i IT for where i work and we've gone through a few lexmarks, canons, brothers, etc. HP is the absolute best. if you really want the best go with HP. start with their 2300 series business class printers. two trays is more than enough. i have printed out several feature length scripts from those printers. the only big thing about laser printers are htat the catridges costs $50-100 depending on which printer. for our regular business use we go through one ea. 6month (very heavy use). if for script-printing i remember i went through 1 ea. 3 or 2 months. i can't remember. FYI.