DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/totem-poll-totally-off-topic-everything-media/)
-   -   See Ken Tanaka's award winning photo (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/totem-poll-totally-off-topic-everything-media/34751-see-ken-tanakas-award-winning-photo.html)

Jeff Donald November 10th, 2004 07:02 AM

See Ken Tanaka's award winning photo

You may want to see Ken's winning picture in the Fred Miranda weekly photo contest. Congratulations Ken, fantastic shot.

Charles Papert November 10th, 2004 07:09 AM

Beautiful image, Ken! I love the color of the sky.

Rob Lohman November 10th, 2004 08:09 AM

Beautiful indeed! Congratulations Ken!! I thought the Lyon image
was very nice as well, some awesome work there...

(wondering how the second prize picture looks, doesn't load at
this point in time)

Boyd Ostroff November 10th, 2004 10:27 AM

Wow... beautiful shot Ken!

Dylan Couper November 10th, 2004 10:37 AM

MMMmmmmm......
Giant chrome donut....
Aaaaaarrrhhh.... (drool)

Ken Tanaka November 10th, 2004 10:52 AM

Aww shucks, fellas. Thanks very much for your very kind remarks. Coming from you guys it really means a lot!

Graham Bernard November 10th, 2004 11:04 AM

Ken . . . I'm speechless . . ..

Ken - you are a Master! - I've emailed you .. truly inspiring work . . very very beautiful . . .

Graham Bernard

Yi Fong Yu November 10th, 2004 12:03 PM

kewl ken!!!! =). nice job! can you spec us the still cam you shot it with?

Ken Tanaka November 10th, 2004 12:22 PM

Sure. Here's the shot at my PBase gallery showing the full Exif data. I actually performed very little post work on the shot. Trimmed a tiny slice from the bottom, dropped color temperature by 50 deg. K added -very moderate- sharpening and that's about it.

Jeff Donald November 10th, 2004 01:15 PM

Quote:

MMMmmmmm......
Giant chrome donut....
Aaaaaarrrhhh.... (drool)
I believe that is the monument to the Chicago Policemen and Women.

Robert Knecht Schmidt November 10th, 2004 02:26 PM

How are they going to keep that thing shiny? It's going to need polishing every day. (Pray it never hails.)

Ken Tanaka November 10th, 2004 02:55 PM

That's a good question. The sculpture seems to be relatively self-cleaning just from rain. Honestly it looks just as clean today as it did when it opened in July. The only stuff that seems to be deposited on it is gull poop. For some reason, probably because of their broad feet, seagulls often pose atop it. Only 2-3 can stand on the top without slipping down but it's pretty comical to see. I've been trying to get a shot of them but I've not yet gotten just the right angle and light.

Regarding hail, this thing would laugh at a hailstorm. It's 150 tons of polished stainless steel panels. A hailstone wouldn't stand a chance.

Technically, the sculpture is not completed. Sometime in the next few months it will be re-enclosed and all of the panel joints will be welded and polished to make the entire piece seamless.

Here's the namesake shot of Cloud Gate.

Equally fascinating is the view from underneath this sculpture. Here are just a few shots to illustrate.

John Britt November 10th, 2004 03:21 PM

Those are some great shots -- the original, winning photo in particular. And while that sculpture in and of itself is certainly a subject that many of us would love to capture, I think it is clearly your talent as a photographer (understanding compostion, etc) that really makes that picture a winner. Good show!

John Hudson November 10th, 2004 04:32 PM

dAMN kEN

That is truly a wonderful photograph. Such a nice composition and interesting subject matter.

(Nice shots all of them)

Alfred Okocha November 10th, 2004 07:15 PM

Very beautiful!!

A winner and with tough competion too! There were alot of nice pictures there.
I can't see YOUR reflection Ken.. Where are you?