DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/totem-poll-totally-off-topic-everything-media/)
-   -   Project Greenlight guys (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/totem-poll-totally-off-topic-everything-media/35644-project-greenlight-guys.html)

Marco Leavitt November 29th, 2004 11:10 AM

Project Greenlight guys

Does anyone know whatever happened to those two jokers from the last season of Project Greenlight? As obnoxious as they were, I thought they would have come up with a better movie if everybody had just left them alone. Have they gone on to direct any other projects, or did that show ruin their careers?

Imran Zaidi November 29th, 2004 11:20 AM

IMDB doesn't list anything new for them. I'm sure the show was extremely damaging. You're right that they kind of got hosed by the show a bit, but you have to admit, throughout they made some horrible directorial choices. They handled the actors in a very amateurish fashion - all they had to do is read a book on the subject of handling actors and they wouldn't have made half the mistakes they did. It was almost painful to see. Plus their basic people-management skills were terrible, which was their ultimate downfall - and unforgivable for a director.

They've done some funny stuff on their own, and they're obviously natural born independents through and through, and I'm sure they'll do something soon. But I'm pretty sure unless they do something great on their own, they're not going to be back in "Hollywood", so to speak, any time soon. Not that that's a bad thing, of course.

This is their official site:
http://www.newbornpix.com/

Project Greenlight - 2 for 2 in destroying careers. I think the best advice to anyone about PGL is to stay the hell away. They don't give a crud about you - it's just exploitation for the purposes of marketing a reality show.

Joe Carney November 29th, 2004 11:45 AM

I agree, they edit it to make it look as awful as possible. From what I've heard, things weren't nearly as bad as they made them seem. I initially supported the concept.
Now they can take a flying leap. Also, it's funny that Ben Aflecks' movies are so bad lately it's easy to boycott them. hehehehe.

Marco Leavitt November 29th, 2004 12:22 PM

I thought the guy from the first season got a bad rap. He made some mistakes, mainly the fault of a positively EVIL cinematographer. I thought his ability to work with children was impressive. Not a lot of people can do that. If given the chance, I think he would have quite a future directing family oriented films.

John Hudson November 29th, 2004 11:07 PM

I used to think this was such a cool idea and experience for struggling filmmakers but it turned out to be done in such bad taste.

I'm not doubting the inexperience of the chosen directors but the way they were treated and portrayed is ridiculous.

I thought it was about giving a break to the struggling artist and support and it turned into a bad dream. The first season director 'Pete Jones' got a major bum deal with that p***k of a producer (Chris Moore?). That film wasn't that bad. Maybe not cut for theatrical release but easily a pretty good film.

As far as the last 2 dudes; their body of work (albeit little at this time) shows they do have talent and I think will continue to find success

I agree with all of your takes on this. Stay away from PG.

Marco Leavitt November 30th, 2004 07:37 AM

Anybody watch "Film School" on IFC? Sheesh. What a pack of whiners.

On PGL, I wish they'd reinvent the series to focus on ultra low budget features. Instead of $1 million, why not make it $20,000, and let the filmmakers shoot the way they're used to. All of the money would go towards securing locations.

Imran Zaidi November 30th, 2004 08:19 AM

I watched that whole darn series and then for some reason my DVR didn't record the final episode. What happened in the end? They're not rerunning it so I was left hanging.

They sure were whining but you know how it is with these shows - they just show the negative stuff - the stuff that shows drama.

Charles Papert December 1st, 2004 01:53 PM

I thought about this the other day: I'm mid-way through shooting a .5 million feature right now, and if we had a Proj. Greenlight crew covering the whole thing, there'd be more than enough material to provide the same kind of "entertainment" without us having the artificial pairing of personalities. We certainly have our tense moments that could be manipulated into making any of us look like freaks or ***holes--it's just the nature of making a big movie on a low budget.