DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/totem-poll-totally-off-topic-everything-media/)
-   -   Los Angeles residents (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/totem-poll-totally-off-topic-everything-media/36779-los-angeles-residents.html)

Dylan Couper December 22nd, 2004 05:48 PM

Los Angeles residents

Hey LA residents!
Can someone tell me what type of weather I could expect there in late January? I'm going to be heading down there for a few days.

Thanks!

Charles Papert December 23rd, 2004 01:45 AM

Hey Dylan,

Expect days in the 70's, nights in the mid to high 50's. That's our rainy season so be prepared for that. It will likely be a cakewalk compared to BC, but you can still be taken off guard (20 degree drops at sundown means the shorts and t-shirt all of a sudden don't cut it).

Give a shout when you get down here, perhaps we can grab a beer.

Dylan Couper December 23rd, 2004 11:16 AM

Thanks Charles!
How rainy is rainy? As you might guess, I've got a pretty warped definition of rainy living in Vancouver. 5 solid days of rain a week would be pretty rainy.

I'll be in the Anaheim area and should be free nights for beer consumption!

Charles Papert December 23rd, 2004 11:45 AM

Not rainy by your standards, but when it does come, it dumps pretty hard in a tropical style. Also, the roads here get pretty slick and everyone freaks out and drives 2 miles an hour, which can be infuriating.

Dylan Couper December 23rd, 2004 11:53 AM

Don't you guys have monorails and aerocars down there??? :)

I've had the honour of driving through LA on the freeway in rush hour before. Probably the most traffic condensed place in North America I've ever driven through. Can't imagine it in the rain.

Charles Papert December 23rd, 2004 01:23 PM

Funny thing is, I swear I've seen more regular stop-and-go traffic in other cities than this. Boston is diabolical--not just the city center, but the routes around the city--and Austin was pretty snarly too, much to my surprise. LA is no doubt a traffic heavy city, but there are almost always surface street solutions that will keep you moving. Bring a GPS map solution!

John Sandel December 23rd, 2004 01:42 PM

Ah, Charles, be nice to the guy! "GPS" is too hard for LA drivers to spell!

Just grab a Thomas Guide at the airport and stay in the center lane. Armed motorists usually crowd up the fast lane.

JS

Chris Hurd December 23rd, 2004 02:01 PM

<< I've had the honour of driving through LA on the freeway in rush hour before. >>

"Honour." Heh. You can always spot a Canadian!

Hey Dylan, I just might be out there too, for the lowly VideoMaker Expo show in late Jan. If everything coincides, I'll be happy to buy the first round... there's plenty 'o decent sushi in L.A.

Dylan Couper December 23rd, 2004 06:43 PM

Oooh, When is the VideoMaker Expo? Do you have set dates? I'm a little flexible in my schedule.

As much as I keep yelling at MS Word, it just won't let me spell honour, colour, armour and temperatour the proper way. Eventually I'm just going to give up and start spelling Yankee. :)

Chris Hurd December 23rd, 2004 07:33 PM

Oh man, it ain't until Feb. 3-5!

http://www.videomaker.com/scripts/events.cfm

No biggie, it's well worth missing. Still it would be a good excuse to get together, though.

Christopher Go December 23rd, 2004 07:41 PM

Dylan, right click the mispelled word then click on "Add to Dictionary". Won't bother you ever again.

I think driving in Honolulu's been getting very bad the last few years, takes forever to travel 5 miles sometimes depending on where you are in the city. I'll be visiting LA in spring next year so I'll get to compare then.

Dylan Couper December 24th, 2004 01:36 AM

Thanks Christopher, but I'll leave it the way there is. There is something satisfying about thinking "Stupid Microsoft product... I know more than you do..."

Rob Lohman December 29th, 2004 04:56 AM

50 - 70 F? Damn... it's currently 23 F here with some snow... brrrr