DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/totem-poll-totally-off-topic-everything-media/)
-   -   Phycists Builds 4 Gigapixel Camera (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/totem-poll-totally-off-topic-everything-media/39086-phycists-builds-4-gigapixel-camera.html)

Joshua Starnes February 8th, 2005 12:15 PM

Phycists Builds 4 Gigapixel Camera

A retired military optics designer built a super camera for photographing the Milky Way. When that project fell through, he decided to use the camera to photograph America. He's been traveling across the country taking pictures of various landmarks.

Check it out here.

The article has link to his website, where some of the pictures have been posted. You would not believe the freaking resolution and latitude this camera has. It can see better than I can with my own eyes. There's a shot of San Diego at night, lit only by the natural illumination of the city. It looks like it could have been taken at noon.

Brandon Greenlee February 8th, 2005 12:56 PM

Thats absolutely amazing. The parasail picture showing the old guys watching the nude beach is pretty funny too.

Wonder how long it'll be till they have cameras like this capturing 30 frames a second?

Brent Ray February 8th, 2005 01:58 PM

That's unbelievable. One picture takes up an entire DVD. 4.7GB for each picture. Just wow. I want one. :D

Ivan Hurtado February 8th, 2005 05:07 PM

Just imagine what a paparazzi can do with this thing...

He will be able to see the nose hair in Pam Anderson from one km. away or just put this one looking to any window in Skywalker place... Will be able to wach secrets beyond knowlegde.

This technology will never reach the streets. Itīs a pity, specially for the ones looking to the beach. Just one picture and there you go, hours and hours of entertainment.

Dylan Couper February 8th, 2005 08:05 PM

Yeah, but what kind of crop factor does it have? 0.016? :)

Bob Costa February 8th, 2005 11:30 PM

So he takes three pictures a day? Okay EVERYBODY in Utah say cheese !!! LOL I wish they had the Grand Canyon pics posted...

Tim Oneil February 9th, 2005 09:30 PM

Joshua, sorry for stepping on your post but are you interested in doing some edit work on an outdoor based show for tv....we have the footage just need help putting it togeather....sorry, but the site wouldn't let me email you directly...tim

Joshua Starnes February 10th, 2005 11:01 AM

<<<-- Originally posted by Tim Oneil : Joshua, sorry for stepping on your post but are you interested in doing some edit work on an outdoor based show for tv....we have the footage just need help putting it togeather....sorry, but the site wouldn't let me email you directly...tim -->>>

Sure. jstarnes at houston.rr.com

E-mail and give me the details.