DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/totem-poll-totally-off-topic-everything-media/)
-   -   Will April 18th be the second coming? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/totem-poll-totally-off-topic-everything-media/42683-will-april-18th-second-coming.html)

Glenn Gipson April 9th, 2005 06:04 AM

Will April 18th be the second coming?

Will April 18th (NAB) be the day that changes Indie filmmaking, for a second time? We all know that digital filmmaking exploded on the scene with the VX1000. Low budget aspiring movie makers could now make movies at a fraction of the cost of making a movie with film. However, these digital camcorders were limited in their resolution, their ability to mimic the motion of film (24p), their latitude, and to some degree, their ability to simulate the aspect ratio of film (no true 16:9.) In other words, the first breed of digital camcorders were not necessarily meant for filmmaking. My question is, do you all think that the new breed of digital indie cams (now more tailored to our needs then before) will usher in a second low budget filmmaking revolution? Or will they change the game very little?

Richard Alvarez April 9th, 2005 08:20 AM

Incremental changes.

Mark Williams April 9th, 2005 09:58 AM

I think most of us, even though costs are going down, will remain in the SD format world for years to come. It's nice to dream though.

Regards,

Mark

Heath McKnight April 9th, 2005 11:01 AM

This thread may be better in the JVC HDV board, because I'm guessing that's what you're talking about, Glenn, the HD-100 from JVC.

heath

Mathieu Ghekiere April 9th, 2005 11:22 AM

I think with the fact that now that you will get camera's with resolution that's good enough to blow up for the big sceen for a very decent price, it's going to be a major change for many indie filmmakers, because if you make a movie on a budget, and you want to sell it, the picture quality of "DV" will not be so very remarkable anymore.

Allthough I agree with Mark too: many people will stay in the SD format for a long while...
Many people in Belgium even don't know what HD is...
That's why I think the resolution HD gives is more important for the indie filmmakers (blow ups) then for newsgroups (the little screen, who already has a television that can show HD? Not that many...)

Glenn Gipson April 9th, 2005 11:43 AM

<<<-- Originally posted by Heath McKnight : This thread may be better in the JVC HDV board, because I'm guessing that's what you're talking about, Glenn, the HD-100 from JVC.

heath -->>>

Well I was talking about the P2 camera as well, and how it, and the JVC camera, would effect Indie Filmmaking.

Heath McKnight April 9th, 2005 12:03 PM

I'm gonna move this again to the TOTEM board.

heath

Laurence Maher April 10th, 2005 01:25 AM

I think the biggest changer will be the panasonic. They seem to be doing it right for the last several years. I think they're out for the filmmaking crowd, you know.

Heath McKnight April 10th, 2005 08:29 AM

laurence,

They totally are--the DVX100A is the most amazing camera I've used. Sure, I love the FX1, but the DVX100A is great! Maybe the HDX100 (is that right) will rock the world, too!

heath

John Hudson April 11th, 2005 01:27 AM

I honestly thought with the advent of the DVX100 that this was the day "that changes Indie filmmaking".
It was for me :/ :p : }

Josh Brusin April 18th, 2005 06:43 AM

7 years ago I borrowed 3000 to buy an XL1 off of ebay. It shot 30p, had xlr mic inputs, used that SUPER-COOL pixel shift technology and changed "my world."

Then Apple did it with Final Cut Pro v.1

Then Discreet did it with Combustion 2.1... particle generation, truly awesome color correction, tracking, etc...

Then mini35 changed the way I shoot...

Then they started making those 300 watt equivalent flourescent bulbs and I stopped carrrying gloves around...

Now it looks like JVC is doing it again... FCP 5 is out today, Soundtrack should be a crime... Combustion 4...

So the long and the short of it is that I have all this great stuff for sale! Email Me!

Heath McKnight April 18th, 2005 07:21 AM

FCP 5 comes out in about 6 weeks.

heath

Luis Caffesse April 18th, 2005 07:31 AM

"So the long and the short of it is that I have all this great stuff for sale! Email Me!"

Hahhaah, nice Josh.
:)