DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/totem-poll-totally-off-topic-everything-media/)
-   -   Editing or burger flipping for $8/hr? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/totem-poll-totally-off-topic-everything-media/483492-editing-burger-flipping-8-hr.html)

Ervin Farkas August 17th, 2010 08:54 PM

Editing or burger flipping for $8/hr?

From Craigslist > atlanta > jobs > tv/film/video/radio jobs

"We are seeking Final Cut Editors for a new tv show airing on 30 non profit TV stations. Your primary roll will be logging tapes. But you will get an opportunity to cut packages together. The job only pays $8 an hour and is a part time job. We are open to your schedule around the clock. You have to edit at our studio. But you can make your own weekly schedule. You must be able to effectively edit 3 minute packages that tell a story and entertain the viewer. Skills we feel can not be easily taught in the classroom. You will be required to submit a reel of your work. IF we like your work we will send you the link to our show so you can review us. If there is a match , then we will interview you which requires a short proficiency test on Final Cut Pro. We hope you will submit a resume and reel if Final Cut editing is a passion of yours. "

I'll just go and deliver pizza... at least it smells better than McBurgers...

David Seguin August 17th, 2010 09:48 PM

Wow....are they serious? They're pretty demanding for people only willing to pay $8/hr......

Jordan Nash August 18th, 2010 06:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David Seguin (Post 1560187)
Wow....are they serious? They're pretty demanding for people only willing to pay $8/hr......

I think they put the decimal in the wrong place.

David Seguin August 18th, 2010 03:18 PM

I hope so....

lol

Sareesh Sudhakaran August 18th, 2010 10:24 PM

Believe it or not, that's the average rate for FCP editors AND systems in India.

Dennis Stevens August 19th, 2010 09:53 AM

They do sound pretty demanding in relation to the pay. Of course, even low-paying editing work is something on your resume, and adds to experience. If you've got a better gig, don't bother, but for some people it might be a foot in the door.

Burger-flipping and pizza delivery probably won't add that much to your resume, or eventually get you more work in the film/video area.

David Seguin August 19th, 2010 04:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dennis Stevens (Post 1560618)
They do sound pretty demanding in relation to the pay. Of course, even low-paying editing work is something on your resume, and adds to experience. If you've got a better gig, don't bother, but for some people it might be a foot in the door.

Burger-flipping and pizza delivery probably won't add that much to your resume, or eventually get you more work in the film/video area.

Well, you ARE right about that. I would jump at the opportunity myself, but as a student, I would probably do it for free. My initial reaction to is based off the thought someone with more experience than myself should probably expect to get paid several times that salary.

Brian Brown August 19th, 2010 09:30 PM

At least it pays something. Most of the TV/film jobs posted on Craigslist in my areas are "no pay". I seldom even bother to read them anymore, unless I need a good laugh.

David Seguin August 20th, 2010 02:48 PM

Yeah, well Craigslist IS one of the best places to look for free labour lol. So many people with talent but no experience try and get started doing jobs on that site, so it's easy to lure them in just with the promise of experience. In such cases just the experience WOULD be worth it IMO

Andy Graham August 23rd, 2010 10:47 AM

Same with mandy.com, like Brian i only go there for a laugh, you know i saw an ad there for a DOP once that said something like must be "experienced creative and own his own kit" ( among other requirements) and that position was unpaid....not only that they weren't paying expenses either. What exactly are they smoking is what id like to know, the equipment alone is way more expensive than most industries tools of the trade not to mention what an experienced DOP's time is worth purely from a skill point of view.

People looking to hire really need to get a grip, i know times are hard at the moment but come on. And yeah the experience thing for your resume would be good provided you can sustain yourself but if you cant live on $8 ph then it really isn't a viable option, unless they bump your wages up after a couple of months once youv'e proven yourself

Andy.

Kevin McRoberts August 24th, 2010 09:11 AM

Needles in haystacks.

I've gotten some decent paying work through CL and Mandy. Landed monthly ongoing work with my biggest client through CL.

Of course, I've also gotten some run-arounds and waded through countless ignorable free lunch seekers, but still.

Matthew Craggs August 24th, 2010 08:45 PM

Heh. I'd choose burger flipping. I enjoy editing more, but it requires more brain power and for that pay, I want to put my brain on autopilot.

I can completely see the value of getting your foot in the door while working for slave wages. It's all part of the game. What troubles me more is the requirements.

I'm speaking in a more general way, but I see so many postings that have low wages and expect you to have your own gear, slick reel, years of experience, etc. If you want to pay a low wage, that's fine, but you should at least lower your requirements and be open to the possibility of, perhaps, a student with no reel that you will have to teach a couple of things too. Or a person that is starting out and doesn't have any gear.

Most people on Craigslist and Mandy expect the world. But they should be paying in either money or education... or maybe burgers.