DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/totem-poll-totally-off-topic-everything-media/)
-   -   Taxi - best show ever? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/totem-poll-totally-off-topic-everything-media/49966-taxi-best-show-ever.html)

Christopher C. Murphy August 25th, 2005 12:01 AM

Taxi - best show ever?

Hey, how many of you grew up watching Taxi?

You know what? I really think Taxi is one of the best shows ever. The plots were great from show to show, the acting was superb, the charactors were wildly different and usually the original direction of a show ended in a whole other place. What an underrated show. It was a hit at the time, but I don't think anyone under 25 watches the show!

Also, Danny DaVito's acting is amazing. That guy truly was a natural on that show. I just watched an episode and DaVito is just so incredible.

Oh, and the theme song is the best!! It's so catching, relaxed and perfect.

They truly don't make shows like it anymore...primetime television is horrid now.

Graham Bernard August 25th, 2005 12:41 AM

"Okey Dokey!"
Christopher Lloyd as Reverend Jim Ignatowski

Judd Hirsch (as Alex Rieger)
Danny DeVito (as Louie De Palma)
Marilu Henner (as Elaine O'Connor-Nardo)
Tony Danza (as Tony Banta)
Andy Kaufman (as Latka Gravas/Vic Ferrari)
J. Alan Thomas (as Jeff Bennett)
Randall Carver (as John Burns (1978-1979))
Jeff Conaway (as Robert L. 'Bobby' Wheeler (1978-1981))
Carol Kane (as Simka Dahblitz-Gravas (1981-1983))
Christopher Lloyd (as Reverend Jim Ignatowski)

I did. I loved it. It formed me . .and I'm a Londoner too!

Just for the record the name of the TAXI theme tune, by Bob James, was "Angela." I just read and have been reminded that the tune was not typical of the sitcom genre. But, then again, TAXI was not your typical situation comedy!

I guess the whole thing was so hauntingly odd and kinda sad, that it did get to me.

Sub plot for me was . . This is what happens while we are waiting. Waiting for the inevitable... Waiting for a Taxi, Waiting for a call out to take someone somewhere. Just waiting .. . filling in time .. make a laugh out of what is inevitable . .. and there was "Latka" . . hmmm... The whole atmosphere and the undulating pathos of fun/mystery/sadness linked to the almost & always pointless exploits of the protagonists with their small and oft mean-spirited approaches to life (Dvito) and the almost retchingly goody 2 shoes home spun bonne home of Judd's character - just provided and excellent mirror for the gags and laughs. Oh yes, TAXI, pure Shakespearean episodal philosophy - BIG TIME!

Hmmm....

"Angela"? . . I'll be humming that all day today . . .

Grazie

Christopher C. Murphy August 25th, 2005 08:06 AM

What a great response to my post!

Oh man, I just remembered the FUNNIEST thing I've ever seen or heard in my life:

- "Reverend Jim" during the written driving test:

Ignatowski:
"Pssssttt…what does the yellow light mean?"

Bobby Wheeler:
"Slow down."

Ignatowski:
"What…does…the…yellow…light…mean?"

Bobby Wheeler:
"Slow down!"

Ignatowski:
"Whaaaat…dooooeeees…theeeee…yeeeel-looowwww…liiiiight…meeeeaaan?"

I remember laughing so hard everytime that episode was on! Wait, another episode might be even funnier...remember the one where DePalma dreams of Alex's death?? He tries to convince him that death will knock on his door at midnight...lol! All these things start happening exactly like his dream and then at midnight...the suspense is killing us....Alex opens the door and it's a girl scout selling cookies and they all scream together. LOL!

If you've got 3 hours to spare on Taxi!
http://jimsmarios.tripod.com/links.html

Marco Leavitt August 25th, 2005 08:37 AM

Yeah, great show. I like the episode where Jim discovers that he knows how to play the piano. Seems he forgot after all those years of drug abuse. I think Barney Miller was another great show from that era.

Christopher C. Murphy August 25th, 2005 08:51 AM

That's a great episode....

How about the hilarious show where DePalma goes to court because he's being sued by an elderly lady sitting in her wheelchair. He thinks she's lying about being handicapped, so he pushes her down the stairs! She didn't stand up!

He turns to the judge and says, "I have no further questions your honor."

Lol

Michael Plunkett August 30th, 2005 09:18 PM

I loved watching Louie trying to figure out how much to fill in a blank check he got from Iggy's rich dad as a settlement for his apt burning down. The angst he went through to fill as high as possible and not have it not accepted.

Greg Boston August 30th, 2005 09:27 PM

I confess to just being in love with Marilu Henner. Saw her on a late night talk show recently and she still looks great. I think it's more her personality that I am in love with, but she was/is also nice to look at.

-gb-

Christopher C. Murphy August 30th, 2005 09:39 PM

Michael, that episode was just on the other night!

Greg, I was a little kid at the time...but, something told me Marilu was a fine looking woman. She did have a great personality for the show.

If I remember right they always had her almost getting together with Alex. It's a good thing they didn't because sexual tension is always good on sitcoms!

Mathieu Ghekiere August 31st, 2005 05:53 AM

In the film Man on the Moon, about Andy Kaufman, you get some scenes, re-acted from Taxi.
( I almost never saw Taxi though, I'm only 18, if I read this, seems like a big loss :-))

Christopher C. Murphy August 31st, 2005 09:29 AM

Mathieu, 18 is still young enough to join the party and catch some Taxi episodes. :)

I personally think that newer sitcoms (actually, anything produced in the past 20 years!) aren't that good. It's not the individual writers, actors and production. I just think that someone way back started using a stopwatch for cheap comedic timing. It's one joke after another layered on thin plots.

Oh, and don't get me started on LAUGH TRACKS. At least back in the 70's on shows like Taxi it was real laughter. If it wasn't funny...no one laughed. Now, every joke has a laugh meter or something...if it's kinda funny it still gets a larger laugh than it should.

That's probably one of the #1 reasons I don't watch much primetime shows anymore. The laugh tracks kill it for me...talk about dumming down to the audience. We can figure out what's funny or not, so they have to tell us! Give me a break....can I have some more McDonald's fast food with that please!

Nick Vaughan August 31st, 2005 09:37 AM

The theme song was the best part. I work in an independently owned coffee shop and hear the Taxi theme on a daily basis. Never gets old...then again, it's like a shining diamond amongst the normal coffee shop musak.

As far as it being dubbed "best show," I don't know about that. That title should probably go to M.A.S.H...although I don't like it much either. The Price is Right is where its at.

Michael Plunkett August 31st, 2005 10:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Christopher C. Murphy
Michael, that episode was just on the other night!

Greg, I was a little kid at the time...but, something told me Marilu was a fine looking woman. She did have a great personality for the show.

If I remember right they always had her almost getting together with Alex. It's a good thing they didn't because sexual tension is always good on sitcoms!

Dang. I have not seen that one in maybe 15 yrs. It might be DeVitos best performance.

speaking of fine ladies- Marilu YES. and I can't forget a very young Geena Davis as 'Wendy' on Buffalo Bill (Dabney Coleman) Heck, JoJo White- Joanna Cassidy looked great too.

Mathieu Ghekiere August 31st, 2005 01:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Christopher C. Murphy
Mathieu, 18 is still young enough to join the party and catch some Taxi episodes. :)

I personally think that newer sitcoms (actually, anything produced in the past 20 years!) aren't that good. It's not the individual writers, actors and production. I just think that someone way back started using a stopwatch for cheap comedic timing. It's one joke after another layered on thin plots.

Oh, and don't get me started on LAUGH TRACKS. At least back in the 70's on shows like Taxi it was real laughter. If it wasn't funny...no one laughed. Now, every joke has a laugh meter or something...if it's kinda funny it still gets a larger laugh than it should.

That's probably one of the #1 reasons I don't watch much primetime shows anymore. The laugh tracks kill it for me...talk about dumming down to the audience. We can figure out what's funny or not, so they have to tell us! Give me a break....can I have some more McDonald's fast food with that please!

Ow believe me, when I gave my age as an excuse, it's because I was too young or maybe even born yet when it aired. Not as an attack that it would be old-fashioned, because I don't have a problem with older television, indeed quality often ain't that high anymore today.
A year ago or something, here in Belgium there was a rerun, and sometimes I catched an episode, and I really enjoyed it, but it was very late, around midnight, and I had to go to school, so that wasn't always very evident.