DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/totem-poll-totally-off-topic-everything-media/)
-   -   Katrina (a storm) (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/totem-poll-totally-off-topic-everything-media/49978-katrina-storm.html)

Chris Hurd August 30th, 2005 07:03 AM

The human tragedy is devastating; I know all our thoughts are with those who have been directly impacted. And although it's thankfully not nearly as tragic, there is a much broader, indirect impact upon all of us: the disruption of gulf shipping, which will result in significantly higher gas prices by the end of the week. Here's hoping that our Louisiana and Mississippi neighbors get to return home and begin rebuilding soon,

Christopher C. Murphy August 30th, 2005 10:53 AM

Hollywood action movies pale in comparison

Geez, 80 PERCENT of New Orleans is under water! ...and not just a little bit, we're talking 20 FEET of water in most areas! If you haven't done so...take a look at the video on the news sites. It's pretty bad down there.

I'd like to acknowledge the police, fire, military etc. There is a video of the national guard saving people on their houses...they look like Hollywood stunt men. Who needs action movies when we have real life stuff like this happening and it's being captured on video by the news crews.

Hmmm....maybe this why there is a Hollywood slump? Since 9/11 we've all learned to appreciate who the real heros are more, so paying $9 to watch some stupid CGI run around and save fake people doesn't seem to appealing for 2 hours!

Kyle McMillin August 30th, 2005 08:54 PM

Imagine being on the roof of your house, surrounded by flood water. Imagine standing and sitting on hot shingles with the temperature during the day at 95+ degrees (heat index 100 to 110). Imagine having no food and no water. Imagine at night having a constant swarm of mosquitoes buzzing around you. Imagine if you counldn't get out of your attic and onto the roof, and had to stay in the attic all day with temperatures of 120 - 130 degrees. Imagine being in that condition for 24 to 48 hours, or longer before someone could rescue you.

It's almost impossible for me to comprehend as I watch the newscasts, that just 200 miles to the east of me that all of this is happening. I feel somewhat guilty because yesterday we had a northly breeze all day, the temperature was cooler, not a drop of rain, the day was "nice". Katrina actually caused Southwestern Louisiana to have some of the nicest weather that we've had in a while. But at the same time, massive devestation was taking place just a few hours drive to the east.

Greg Boston August 30th, 2005 09:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kyle McMillin
I feel somewhat guilty because yesterday we had a northly breeze all day, the temperature was cooler, not a drop of rain, the day was "nice". Katrina actually caused Southwestern Louisiana to have some of the nicest weather that we've had in a while. But at the same time, massive devestation was taking place just a few hours drive to the east.

Me too Kyle. We had that same nice breeze here in the Dallas, TX area all day Monday and a pleasant evening for sitting outside. All compliments of Katrina. Some of her outer rain bands made it as close as 50 miles east of here.

The more I watch the video coming from that area, the more incomprehensive it all becomes.

-gb-

Christopher C. Murphy August 30th, 2005 09:25 PM

Kyle,

Up here in New England we have to deal with that guilt during the winter. Sometimes there are nor'easters that come up the coast and devastate the entire eastern seaboard. Yet, just 50-200 miles inland they just get a few inches of snow or just even freezing rain.

Unfortunately, (actually I feel fortunate most of the time) I'm 20 minutes from the Atlantic ocean and get the brunt of any nor'easter that comes up the coast.

Everyone on earth has mother nature to deal with...I guess it's more or less where you live that dictates what wrath you'll have to content with. Cali has quakes (I was there for the 1994 quake), New England has storms (I was here for the Perfect Storm) and the south has hurricanes...(I was there during the 1998 hurricane Irene) and the upper mid-west has fires (I was there for the 2000 fires in Utah!)

I really hope we help the people down there like we've helped every other country. I REALLY can't wait to see what other country comes to our aid...as usual...no one will offer help or put on any sort of fundraiser for the US.

Kevin Wild August 31st, 2005 07:18 AM

Christopher, let me know if you ever move to Raleigh so I can get out of town. I think it's you causing all this stuff. :-)

Kevin

Christopher C. Murphy August 31st, 2005 09:23 AM

Lol! Hey, I've often thought the same thing.

I just happned to be in those places during those times...luckily in the past 4 years the worse I've had to deal with is a flooded basement!