DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/totem-poll-totally-off-topic-everything-media/)
-   -   Good media players for Full HD TV? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/totem-poll-totally-off-topic-everything-media/512159-good-media-players-full-hd-tv.html)

Rafael Lopes November 18th, 2012 07:43 AM

Good media players for Full HD TV?

Hi guys,

My 55 inch HDTV supports a lot of formats and codecs but DTS is not one of them and many MKV files I have actually use DTS. So Iīm looking into buying a powerful media player to have hooked into my TV at all times with the following must haves:

- HDMI out (I donīt want streaming)
- USB input so that I may plug a usb stick with films and photos to watch
- DTS support (as well as all the general formars and codecs)
- Wifi (in case I want to use netflix and other services like it)
- Powerfull processor to handle heavy full HD files
- A good graphicsīcard (Iīve tried some generic media players that had all the items above but graphics were so but that the video it reproduced didnīt show the quality it actually had)
- Subtitle support

Iīve read good things about the WD Live TV and the Sonyīs media player too (I cannot recall how itīs called right now).

Chris Medico November 18th, 2012 08:19 AM

Re: Good media players for Full HD TV?

I have two of the WDTV Live Plus players. They work quite well. I've had no problem playing 35mb/sec blu-ray derived material. It outputs DTS via its optical output.

The new version has wifi. I have an older version but the house is wired with cat5e so I don't have the need for wireless.

Sareesh Sudhakaran November 18th, 2012 08:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rafael Lopes (Post 1764044)
Hi guys,

My 55 inch HDTV supports a lot of formats and codecs but DTS is not one of them and many MKV files I have actually use DTS. So Iīm looking into buying a powerful media player to have hooked into my TV at all times with the following must haves:

- HDMI out (I donīt want streaming)
- USB input so that I may plug a usb stick with films and photos to watch
- DTS support (as well as all the general formars and codecs)
- Wifi (in case I want to use netflix and other services like it)
- Powerfull processor to handle heavy full HD files
- A good graphicsīcard (Iīve tried some generic media players that had all the items above but graphics were so but that the video it reproduced didnīt show the quality it actually had)
- Subtitle support

Iīve read good things about the WD Live TV and the Sonyīs media player too (I cannot recall how itīs called right now).

Why not build your own HTPC? You can use an AMD A10 with a great sound card that'll do everything for years.

Chris Medico November 19th, 2012 06:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sareesh Sudhakaran (Post 1764117)
Why not build your own HTPC? You can use an AMD A10 with a great sound card that'll do everything for years.

The cost will be much higher for a HTPC. You can pick up the WD player on discount for about $60.

Edit: Just checked and you can pick up a refurb from WD for $59.

Ervin Farkas November 19th, 2012 06:18 PM

Another vote for the WD player; I also have two of them, an old one with no networking and the new model with CAT5 and WIFI.

They both rock.

Rafael Lopes December 8th, 2012 04:01 AM

Thanks, guys. Iīm really leaning towards the WDTV Live Plus. Does it have an internet browser too?

I know Vizio Co-Star has a browser and so does the Sony NSZ-GS7. Does anyone have experience with these 2 players?