DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/totem-poll-totally-off-topic-everything-media/)
-   -   Alternative to Facebook (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/totem-poll-totally-off-topic-everything-media/512871-alternative-facebook.html)

Marco Wagner December 21st, 2012 02:11 PM

Alternative to Facebook

I need an alternative to Facebook for the fan page of my next movie. any suggestions?

David Barnett December 22nd, 2012 12:29 PM

Re: Alternative to Facebook

My question to you is why do you need an alternative? Is it your own personal preference or anti-Facebook stance, or does it logistically not fit your needs?

I suppose your best & most popular option is Youtube. Possibly a Vimeo page, but that typically isn't much. Otherwise create a Wordpress or Tumblr site for it, requiring some basic web design skills but typically less popular & not as easy for fans to like or comment on. Other than that tho, I doubt any similar social media site matches the ease and commenting/friending/likes features FB offers, along with the popularity. Unless you try a Google Plus or Myspace page to collect dust.

Joe Piechura December 26th, 2012 02:14 PM

Twitter would be the obvious choice, although it wouldn't really be a fan page as such. I'm not on there myself, but from what I know, there does seem to be a lot more interaction on there than there is on Facebook, particularly between artists and fans. But since they're both free, I don't see why you would ignore either. For a start, you can have anything you type on Twitter appear straight on Facebook if you want. But yeah, Twitter is the only service that's in the same league as Facebook in terms of number of users and the whole retweet thing is designed for people to share things quickly.

Marco Wagner December 26th, 2012 04:30 PM

Thanks. I pretty much figured on Youtube and possibly Twitter. I just absolutely hate Facebook and it's a personal choice to not be a part of that website. Looks like Youtube is going to be my best bet.

Jack Zhang December 26th, 2012 08:17 PM

A Squarespace page could be a good alternative for a splash page for any bonus content. It has a great WYSIWYG editor and you can really design it via drag and drop to make it look like a professional site.

Dennis Hingsberg January 1st, 2013 11:40 PM

Facebook like it or not has exponential reach possibility, you won't get that with your own website or even twitter or youtube for that matter.

Maybe its just time to learn to like it, or perhaps hire a student to get it setup for you and even maintain or run it for you?

Lastly there are also API's so you don't even have to go to the fan page yourself to add to it, you could have posts from your own website or blog feed Facebook directly ;)

If any of that interests you let me know, I do some web development here and there and it is something I can help you with.